Recommended dangerous game bullets and cartridges?

mark-hunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunting club, target shooting club, national hunting and shooting organisations
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland, Namibia - Caprivi
So, it seams Swift-A-Frames are problematic to find on the market. :cry:

Gents, help me to compose the list of high quality premium game bullets acceptable (better say recommended) for dangerous game, solids and softs?

Feel free to recommend!

How does Hornady DGS and DGX stand with reputation?

Hornady DGS has a sterling reputation and the NEW BONDED DGX is building a very fine reputation also. Sad that Hornady did not make it bonded from the start?

I’d add Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and Trophy Bonded Sledgehammers and Barnes TSX to the list…

Also the Cutting Edge “CE” Safari Raptors

Hornady DGS has a sterling reputation and the NEW BONDED DGX is building a very fine reputation also. Sad that Hornady did not make it bonded from the start?
So, new hornady DGX is bonded, and old one was not bonded?
How to make the difference between the two, before purchasing? (Different packing, different name?)

Northfork makes some excellent bullets as well. Their cup point solids may be the best solids for all but elephant.
And their soft points are brilliant. They are essentially the same as a tbbc, but with more and thinner pressure bands on the bullet shank, which lowers pressure on the bore.

Rhino out of SA also makes some excellent hunting bullets, as does woodleigh out of Aus.

So, new hornady DGX is bonded, and old one was not bonded?
How to make the difference between the two, before purchasing? (Different packing, different name?)
Yes the original Hornady “Dangerous Game Series” DGX was not bonded and had some bad feedback from Africa on dangerous game.
The new Bonded version is printed on the box “Bonded DGX” has gotten very good feedback…

Terrible, if there are no more Swift A-Frame bullets available, hunting in Africa will no longer be possible for some hunters, at least they believes so, but I can calm everyone down !

One can shoot buffaloes with other bullets, including classic SP bullets, also with those from Hornady, bonded or not, the difference is minimal.

Correction from my stand point.
In my vicinity, there is no dangerous game bullets of any kind, at all!

Once, swift a frame was available.
But no more.
I still have supply for maybe 2 or 3 safaris, but i need to find other resources.

I managed to get 50 of each rhino bullets solids and expanding. But by the time i develop the load, and test them, i will be down to miserable quantity.

So, the purpose of thiis thread is to make the list of acceptable premium DG bullets, and once i find them to make good stock.

Sorry, i know in good old times DG has been shot with classic soft points, fmj and whatnot, but modern hunting raised the values of dangerous game, and i am not going to shoot dangerous game with some cheap soft points, just because someone managed to shoot buffalo in 1937, with cup and core bullet, and did not write about how many did he wound before with same recepie.

The Hornady’s seem to be the most available so if you can find some you will be good to go!
But if not try to import any of the ones I recommend

Barnes TSX and CEB Safari Solids would be a good options.

Where are you located?

Based on your location perhaps North Fork would be easier to get since they are based in Sweden. They have an excellent offering in:
Semi-Spitzer
Cup point solid
Flat tip solid

HH

I have taken buffalo with Hornady DGX, Barnes TSX and Swift Aframes. Any of these 3 will do nicely. For these I was using a .375H&H, 300 grain bullets.

I took a lung shot on a big buffalo recently with a .470 500 grain DGX Bonded..it completely trashed both lungs..these are good.. !

I and friends have also used DGS bullets in .375H&H, .458Win. and .500 A-Square with good results on elephant..

Perhaps Degol bullets from Belgium could be an option too. Construction wise they are similar to Woodleigh’s, but a bit tougher if I understood Wim correctly. His bullets are also used in some of the Labor für Ballistik commercial munitions.

Hello Mark! North Fork has a dealer for Croatia named Oružarnica (Armoury?) in Zagreb. An order of our bullets was just put in the post earlier this week and headed that way. Please reach out to me if you have any questions about our premium hunting bullets. -Jay

So, it seams Swift-A-Frames are problematic to find on the market. :cry:

Gents, help me to compose the list of high quality premium game bullets acceptable (better say recommended) for dangerous game, solids and softs?

Feel free to recommend!

How does Hornady DGS and DGX stand with reputation?
1. Barnes TSX (no solids needed except for ele or tinies)
2. Swift A Frame (they are out there just keep looking)
3. Nosler Accubond

I would personally not divert from this list for DG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deandre145

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with