Recommendations for a Rifle to Take to Africa?

Savage 110. The model that saved the company. Some say it's a good entry into the precision world. I got it at a deal too.

The Elite Precision was too much of a range gun for me so I went with the Precision which I can still hunt with. It's on a MDT chassis. We've got some flat spaces for hunting here and I need to be sure at 400 m plus. Still a mile gun.
There are detractors, mostly the message is that it's so close to a win mag that it doesn't warrant the attention it's getting but I have enough old calibers, I wanted something from this century that wasn't a creedmore.
Just think though, a 220gr Berger hybrid moving at 2850 fps. High twist rate gives stability. Whats not to like.
Savage makes great rifles. A MDT chassis is probably the only chassis I would consider, but for precision shooting I like a Manners composite stock. Chassis systems are definitely more flexible, though. The 220 Berger is right about perfect for a 300 magnum. Hits with authority. I am sure that is a great combo in South Africa.

Thank you all for the replies. I’m torn between looking for a pre-64 in 375 or a vintage Rigby in 375. Only looking for a working rifle in general. Something along the lines of the stalking rifle that franzfmdavis posted. Just want something old and that lends itself to Africa. Vintage British or pre-64 working rifles. Something a PH would probably carry. I’m not looking for the finest example out there and don’t want fancy scroll work. Want something I am not afraid to use. Again, thank you all. You have given me the info and ideas I was looking for.

Regards,
Charles
The H&H 375 at Bertrams was just reduced in price. A little more than your budget but it is a nice rifle and a genuine 375H&H. May be the best priced one on the market right now.

I don't recall a period in recent history where there were this many 375 HH's on sale on Gunsinternational. A good time to buy yourself a safari rifle.

I agree with some of the previous posts, it may be worth it to spend a little more than you want, I've never heard anyone wine about spending too much on a good rifle, but I have heard a lot of whining about wishing they had spent more to get a good one when the budget rifle doesn't work out so good on safari.

If you can get over 5k for budget there is a lot, a Ruger or Winchester would not be a bad option, however a quick through 375's on GI, this one screams for a chance to go on safari:

Attachments

If you can find one a Ruger M77 Tropical is turning into a classic.

I have custom .404, Ruger RSMs in .416 and .375, .458s,9.3x62, .450-400 double….., but my all-time favorite is my Whitworth .375 HH, shoots well, carries well, shot my best buff in Zambia w it, paid around $800 for it on GB a few years ago- hands down my fav DG rifle

On my last trip to Zim I took a .450Nitro double rifle and a .416 Ruger Alaskan. Fourteen days with only dangerous game on the menu.

Would love to go 300 PRC and have thought of ditching my tikka 300wm for one. What rifle did you go with? NRL style tournaments or more PRS? Not trying to derail my own thread, lol. Just really interested in the 300 PRC for here in the states. Have heard stories of it being a great round in South Africa for plains game.

Charles
If you look on what the SCI , Rowland ward lists as well as many snipers used it’s the .300 win mag . It’s perhaps one of most standardize to find in case the ammo goes missing and need replacement.

Would love to go 300 PRC and have thought of ditching my tikka 300wm for one. What rifle did you go with? NRL style tournaments or more PRS? Not trying to derail my own thread, lol. Just really interested in the 300 PRC for here in the states. Have heard stories of it being a great round in South Africa for plains game.

Charles
Even with 300WM, and especially with 300 PRC, you need to be prepared for 50 yard shots. VLDH and ELD-X are both good bullets if you know your target is going to be 400 or 500 yards down range. You'll feel better about passing on a long shot because you're using a lower BC hunting bullet than you will feel if you have to pass on a 50 yard shot because you're shooting non-premium, thin-jacketed bullets where the probability of core separation is pretty high.

The whole reason premium bullets ever came into existence was because of just such a situation. Most of the guys here know the story, but since you're a recent convert to hunting and maybe haven't heard it, I'll repeat it.

In the late 1940s, John Nosler was moose hunting in Canada with a 300 H&H mag when he stumbled across a nice, mud-caked bull at about 75 yards or so. He ended up shooting that bull 7 or 8 times. When he finally put it on the ground, what he discovered was that at the even more modest 300 H&H velocity (relative to 300WM and PRC), the bullets more or less disintegrated on impact, all but the last bullet which finally penetrated. If that first shot had been taken from 200 or 300 yards, those bullets would almost certainly have performed as expected, and he'd probably have only had to shoot it once or twice. Nosler Partition and Nosler Accubond are 2 of the highest BC hunting bullets on the market.

An animal doesn't need to be particularly tough for this to be a thing, either. I don't recall the particular ammo used (this was around 1981/82, so not a premium, probably just regular Winchester or Remington ammo), but a close friend of the family was white tail hunting on a property adjacent to ours. He shot a gorgeous buck, probably 160-class, 5 times from about 25 or 30 yards. He was shooting 150 gr 308, MV 2700 - 2800 fps. The buck ran off and was killed by another neighbor a week or 10 days later. It had 5 nasty, infected flesh wounds, a couple of them filled with maggots. This guy isn't exactly a novice hunter, either - he's probably killed more white tails than the plague killed people in Europe.

Charles
For a hunting round the 300 PRC isn’t giving you anything over the 300 win, just a lot less factory ammo choices. I’ll second what @sgt_zim says it’s the bullet that kills not the cartridge. A 300 PRC with a premium bonded or Barnes bullet would be great on plains game but a 300 PRC with a thinly jacketed bullet on a shoulder shot at close range would be not be. Some stories are exaggerated but a non-bonded bullet in a 300 mag might be fine 9/10 or 99/100 times, but that one time will make you wish you had used a premium bonded bullet. If a lead bullet fragments or loses a significant amount of mass the performance isn’t predictable and will change depending on the shot taken, especially on bone.

Hi All,

I have lingered here for quite some time now. Started an account when I was young and only dreamed of hunting in Africa someday. Still a dream, but a lot closer to reality now, thankfully. I would finally like to purchase a rifle that I could take to Africa someday in the next year or so. Would like to purchase a nice 375 H&H bolt gun. I had a childhood obsession with big doubles, but they are just way out of my price range. I know the easiest way would be a model 70, Ruger or find a used CZ. I have been spoiled for many years after looking at fine doubles and English made Magnum Mauser Actions and was curious if there were any classic Magnum Mauser Action rifles that could be found for under 10K these days? Or should I just go the Model 70 or Ruger route? Would appreciate any insight and advice.

Charles
There is a big difference between desire and need. You stated your desires, your replies stated the need. Don't go overboard with caliber/rifle selections. .375 H&H is the minimum caliber legally allowed across Africa for dangerous game; everything else can be safely dispatched with any .30 caliber or its metric equivalent. I harvested plains animals up to wildebeest using me cheap (but damn accurate) Savage Axis with a modified hose clamp as the trigger guard.

There is a big difference between desire and need. You stated your desires, your replies stated the need. Don't go overboard with caliber/rifle selections. .375 H&H is the minimum caliber legally allowed across Africa for dangerous game; everything else can be safely dispatched with any .30 caliber or its metric equivalent. I harvested plains animals up to wildebeest using me cheap (but damn accurate) Savage Axis with a modified hose clamp as the trigger guard.
I completely agree. I grew up reading stories/books from days of old while drooling over Bore Rifles (from Cal Pappas and WW Geener's 'The Gun and It's Development') and Magnum Mausers I probably will never be able to afford. I'm now in my 30's, have a family (who will always come first) and will probably just look for model 70's, Rugers, CZ's, etc. If I want to actually go to Africa, I don't think there is any way I could or even should spend 10k on a rifle. Have listened to and started following a lot of PH's who work the areas I would like to hunt in Tanzania and South Africa. More research and incite has led me to the conclusion that I would much rather spend more on the hunt and get what I want out of it from a respected outfitter with a good PH. I would rather go experience a hunt in Africa and do it right. Then some day I might be able to afford the rifle I desired and make another trip.

Would like to add that I greatly appreciate all the replies and advice from everyone. I know a lot of you gents have a good deal of experience with many trips to Africa. Cheers!

Last edited:
To the OP. You have already received a ton of mostly good advice here, so some of my minor comments may sound repetitive. But, here we go. First, take your own rifle(s). After a trip to Africa, they will forever be a prized family heirloom to you and your kin. When you look at them or hunt with them, you will remember the Safari and the great experiences you had with the rifle. RSA and most other Safari friendly countries limit how many rifles you can bring. Usually, this is limited to two rifles of different caliber.

For PG hunting, your 300WM is perfect for any animal on the list. And it will be available in many more factory load options than the newer, cooler 300PRC. IMO, hand loading is not necessary for hunting in Africa. Yes, you may be able to hand load and obtain a modest improvement in accuracy but the quality of factory premium loads today outclasses everything that was available 30yrs ago. I am usually able to find a factory load that shoots under 1" at 100y with almost any decent rifle and my really good rifles beat that by half with factory ammo. I do reload, but only for bulk ammo applications like competition and prairie dog shooting. Did it to save money but was able to gain some accuracy. Gearing up to load for a hunting rifle that may only digest a couple hundred rounds in my lifetime is not economical and most African PH's pride themselves in the ability to stalk within 100y or less to most game animals.

Talk to your PH and ask him about typical ranges to plan for and choose a rifle and scope/ammo combo to match that. If you want a Rigby, be prepared to pay dearly. If you want CRF, you may also pay a premium. CRF is not a necessity for PG. Just saying. Don't be afraid to buy a used hunting rifle. I have found that few of them have been shot enough to matter. Clean the bore good and go with a nice used rifle. Remember this, the planning, and prep is half the fun and lasts much longer than the actual hunt.

I have been in your shoes. About 1.5yrs ago, I was invited to go on Safari in 2025 with a few friends. I was excited and started gathering up those items I would need. Binocs, clothing, new boots, rifles, etc. I was planning to hunt several PG and a Cape Buffalo. I had a nice old FN Browning Hi-Power Medallion Grade in 308 CRF which covered the PG side of things. It had been banged around a bit but had been shot only a little. I spent much of the summer refinishing the beaten up stock. In the 60's rifles with blond wood and ten coats of varnish were in vogue. I hate that. I will post a pic of the finished product that turned out great. I wanted a 416 Rigby Mauser action for the buff but found a used FN Browning Hi-Power Safari Grade in 375HH online in Alaska and bought it. I was expecting it to also be a CRF action but it turned out that FN converted to push feed in the late 60's after Winchester and Remington had done the same. Contrary to some claims, there are a few benefits to PF actions. I refinished that one also even though the wood was far more plain than the 308.

Nice lightly used Cabelas Safari Line shirts (discontinued) can be found on Ebay for next to nothing. I found items of first class gear like those shirts, hunting vests and coats from Tag Zimbabwe, Kenya-East, LL Bean, Cabelas-Safari, Orvis, etc. These are all premium products that are well made, very functional and normally quite pricey. Most arrived looking like new.

After testing and prepping, this April, I decided that I wanted to go on a PG only Safari before I took a swing at the DG buffalo pinata. Toward that end, I booked a hunt in Limpopo with the same PH for this summer. It was well worth the trip in gained experience, etc. Travel to Africa with rifles is not that difficult as long as you follow the regs and fill out all of the paperwork in advance. You PH can aid with advice and forms. Join SCI and go to local chapter meetings as all of the hunters will share experiences and advice. Following my first trip, a few things stood out that caused me to adjust my plans.

While I had found ammo that fed reliably (not all did) in my 375HH I learned a bit why PF is not the best for Africa. Most of Africa is dry, bone dry arid country in the hunting season (their winter). The dust was on everything. After two days of riding around in the land cruiser both my rifles were covered in the red dust that was everywhere. When I went to shoot a Wildebeest with the 375 it functioned fine but the next day when I was cleaning it, I noticed that the plunger type ejector was sticking and had so much grit in it that it did not want to smartly eject some of the rounds. That is not good. I detail cleaned the bolt and got it working good again and protected it more from the dust after that but the lesson was that the fixed extractor in the CRF Mauser style action of the 308 was far and away more fool proof in that dry dusty environment. I had already decided that I wanted a CRF design for the DG hunt and had already purchased the rifle in an auction the day I left on Safari but had I not done that already, I would have anyway. My PH was not at all worried about shooting buffalo with a PF rifle but his stopper was a CRF type and he still wanted a 500NE double rifle for DG work. Still keep this in mind, even some CRF actions will not feed reliably with some of the blunt nosed ammo. Test, test and retest this.

Before, my first hunt I did not even know enough to know what I did not know or what questions to ask. After that trip, I know I took too many clothes, and too much ammo. Travelling into So Africa with guns is a piece of cake but getting back into the USA is harder, slower and a PITA. Budget twice as much time at the port of entry than you think you need, lol. If it is Atlanta, budget more. Do not be afraid to buy a nice used Mauser action rifle. They are hard to wear out. Take your 300WM and hunt PG and if needed use a PH rifle for DG on your first hunt. If you go on one Safari, you will go on a few more after that. I think about Africa EVERY DAY. No joke. The place and the people are a little slice of Paradise. And the game available is 2nd to none. One week in Africa hunting will yield about 10yrs worth of big game hunting experience that could have been gathered in North American as will as tons more variety. In the USA, I had hunted and harvested, deer, wild boar, coyote, Bobcats, and a variety of small game over a 50yr hunting career. One 8 day hunt in Limpopo overshadowed all of that. That does not make me an expert on Safari but it was a great benefit to my planning for next year.

You do not need tier1 tactical optics to hunt with and with some exceptions, most shots will be shorter than 200y. However, do spend the money for first class glass on your hunting scopes. For my trip the 308 wore an old vintage Balvar 2.5-8x optic zeroed at 200y. I took five animals with it and all were 1shot kills. The 375 wore a Swarovski Z6i 1-6x illuminated optic and it performed great and having owned and hunted with one, it was worth every penny.

Another rule that I made for myself is that for each Safari, I will acquire and set up two new rifles. That is not necessary but I enjoy finding and tuning these and it makes my time between safaris more pleasant. For 2025 will need to be able to shoot at longer ranges for a few critters that like to stay out in the open and not let us get in close. PH says 200-300y for some and possibly longer. Toward that end, I have set up a Husqvarna Swedish Mauser in 30-06 with a 4-16x MIL optic that is shooting 2.25" groups at 400y and 0.5-0.6" at 100y with every load I have put thru it so far. The rifle I bought the day I left to go to Limpopo is a custom ER Shaw P14 in 375HH shown in the first pic below. It came with a 4x Burris but I swapped that for a Kahles K16i 1-6x that I already had and liked much more. Its accuracy matches the Swede even at 400y but will mainly operate at 100y and less. The 2nd pic below is the pair of FN Twins that I took this year and the last shot is of the FN Browning 308 taken in Africa after it had been refinished and was operating in its natural habitat. I bought all of these at auction and the one I paid the most for was the FN 375 mainly because I wanted it and asked the dealer to sell it to me prior to the auction ending and as such I paid top dollar. They are all lovely accurate rifles and the bbls in all of them look to be nearly new.

ERShaw 375HH.jpg
Twins.jpg FN Browning 308.jpg

Last edited:
Talk to your PH and ask him about typical ranges to plan for and choose a rifle and scope/ammo combo to match that. If you want a Rigby, be prepared to pay dearly. If you want CRF, you may also pay a premium. CRF is not a necessity for PG. Just saying. Don't be afraid to buy a used hunting rifle. I have found that few of them have been shot enough to matter. Clean the bore good and go with a nice used rifle. Remember this, the planning, and prep is half the fun and lasts much longer than the actual hunt.

I have been in your shoes. About 1.5yrs ago, I was invited to go on Safari in 2025 with a few friends. I was excited and started gathering up those items I would need. Binocs, clothing, new boots, rifles, etc. I was planning to hunt several PG and a Cape Buffalo. I had a nice old FN Browning Hi-Power Medallion Grade in 308 CRF which covered the PG side of things. It had been banged around a bit but had been shot only a little. I spent much of the summer refinishing the beaten up stock. In the 60's rifles with blond wood and ten coats of varnish were in vogue. I hate that. I will post a pic of the finished product that turned out great. I wanted a 416 Rigby Mauser action for the buff but found a used FN Browning Hi-Power Safari Grade in 375HH online in Alaska and bought it. I was expecting it to also be a CRF action but it turned out that FN converted to push feed in the late 60's after Winchester and Remington had done the same. Contrary to some claims, there are a few benefits to PF actions. I refinished that one also even though the wood was far more plain than the 308.

Nice lightly used Cabelas Safari Line shirts (discontinued) can be found on Ebay for next to nothing. I found items of first class gear like those shirts, hunting vests and coats from Tag Zimbabwe, Kenya-East, LL Bean, Cabelas-Safari, Orvis, etc. These are all premium products that are well made, very functional and normally quite pricey. Most arrived looking like new.

After testing and prepping, this April, I decided that I wanted to go on a PG only Safari before I took a swing at the DG buffalo pinata. Toward that end, I booked a hunt in Limpopo with the same PH for this summer. It was well worth the trip in gained experience, etc. Travel to Africa with rifles is not that difficult as long as you follow the regs and fill out all of the paperwork in advance. You PH can aid with advice and forms. Join SCI and go to local chapter meetings as all of the hunters will share experiences and advice. Following my first trip, a few things stood out that caused me to adjust my plans.

While I had found ammo that fed reliably (not all did) in my 375HH I learned a bit why PF is not the best for Africa. Most of Africa is dry, bone dry arid country in the hunting season (their winter). The dust was on everything. After two days of riding around in the land cruiser both my rifles were covered in the red dust that was everywhere. When I went to shoot a Wildebeest with the 375 it functioned fine but the next day when I was cleaning it, I noticed that the plunger type ejector was sticking and had so much grit in it that it did not want to smartly eject some of the rounds. That is not good. I detail cleaned the bolt and got it working good again and protected it more from the dust after that but the lesson was that the fixed extractor in the CRF Mauser style action of the 308 was far and away more fool proof in that dry dusty environment. I had already decided that I wanted a CRF design for the DG hunt and had already purchased the rifle in an auction the day I left on Safari but had I not done that already, I would have anyway. My PH was not at all worried about shooting buffalo with a PF rifle but his stopper was a CRF type and he still wanted a 500NE double rifle for DG work. Still keep this in mind, even some CRF actions will not feed reliably with some of the blunt nosed ammo. Test, test and retest this.

Before, my first hunt I did not even know enough to know what I did not know or what questions to ask. After that trip, I know I took too many clothes, and too much ammo. Travelling into So Africa with guns is a piece of cake but getting back into the USA is harder, slower and a PITA. Budget twice as much time at the port of entry than you think you need, lol. If it is Atlanta, budget more. Do not be afraid to buy a nice used Mauser action rifle. They are hard to wear out. Take your 300WM and hunt PG and if needed use a PH rifle for DG on your first hunt. If you go on one Safari, you will go on a few more after that. I think about Africa EVERY DAY. No joke. The place and the people are a little slice of Paradise. And the game available is 2nd to none. One week in Africa hunting will yield about 10yrs worth of big game hunting experience that could have been gathered in North American as will as tons more variety. In the USA, I had hunted and harvested, deer, wild boar, coyote, Bobcats, and a variety of small game over a 50yr hunting career. One 8 day hunt in Limpopo overshadowed all of that. That does not make me an expert on Safari but it was a great benefit to my planning for next year.

You do not need tier1 tactical optics to hunt with and with some exceptions, most shots will be shorter than 200y. However, do spend the money for first class glass on your hunting scopes. For my trip the 308 wore an old vintage Balvar 2.5-8x optic zeroed at 200y. I took five animals with it and all were 1shot kills. The 375 wore a Swarovski Z6i 1-6x illuminated optic and it performed great and having owned and hunted with one, it was worth every penny.

Another rule that I made for myself is that for each Safari, I will acquire and set up two new rifles. That is not necessary but I enjoy finding and tuning these and it makes my time between safaris more pleasant. For 2025 will need to be able to shoot at longer ranges for a few critters that like to stay out in the open and not let us get in close. PH says 200-300y for some and possibly longer. Toward that end, I have set up a Husqvarna Swedish Mauser in 30-06 with a 4-16x MIL optic that is shooting 2.25" groups at 400y and 0.5-0.6" at 100y with every load I have put thru it so far. The rifle I bought the day I left to go to Limpopo is a custom ER Shaw P14 in 375HH shown in the first pic below. It came with a 4x Burris but I swapped that for a Kahles K16i 1-6x that I already had and liked much more. Its accuracy matches the Swede even at 400y but will mainly operate at 100y and less. The 2nd pic below is the pair of FN Twins that I took this year and the last shot is of the FN Browning 308 taken in Africa after it had been refinished and was operating in its natural habitat. I bought all of these at auction and the one I paid the most for was the FN 375 mainly because I wanted it and asked the dealer to sell it to me prior to the auction ending and as such I paid top dollar. They are all lovely accurate rifles and the bbls in all of them look to be nearly new.

View attachment 639561
View attachment 639562 View attachment 639563
Thank you very much for the heap of information. Greatly appreciated! If I didn’t already want to go, you made me want to go even more. Sounds every bit as spectacular and special as I have thought it would be!

Charles

Get the 375 H&H. It will kill everything in Africa. While DG might not be on your shopping list, that does not mean you might not come into contact with some DG and need the extra fire power.

Just spend some nights on gun pages
GB or others and check the stores that sell there , make some searches and see what happens .
Just watch out for Scams

Just watch out for Scams
Yes it’s a few of them around , and go with stores is often a safe bet . But it’s much to see what can turn up of things also .

On M.E.W.E it’s many dedicated anti scam groups and people list things and people that is or is not such ones also btw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FletcherHa

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.