Recommendations for a Rifle to Take to Africa?

Savage 110. The model that saved the company. Some say it's a good entry into the precision world. I got it at a deal too.

The Elite Precision was too much of a range gun for me so I went with the Precision which I can still hunt with. It's on a MDT chassis. We've got some flat spaces for hunting here and I need to be sure at 400 m plus. Still a mile gun.
There are detractors, mostly the message is that it's so close to a win mag that it doesn't warrant the attention it's getting but I have enough old calibers, I wanted something from this century that wasn't a creedmore.
Just think though, a 220gr Berger hybrid moving at 2850 fps. High twist rate gives stability. Whats not to like.
Savage makes great rifles. A MDT chassis is probably the only chassis I would consider, but for precision shooting I like a Manners composite stock. Chassis systems are definitely more flexible, though. The 220 Berger is right about perfect for a 300 magnum. Hits with authority. I am sure that is a great combo in South Africa.

Thank you all for the replies. I’m torn between looking for a pre-64 in 375 or a vintage Rigby in 375. Only looking for a working rifle in general. Something along the lines of the stalking rifle that franzfmdavis posted. Just want something old and that lends itself to Africa. Vintage British or pre-64 working rifles. Something a PH would probably carry. I’m not looking for the finest example out there and don’t want fancy scroll work. Want something I am not afraid to use. Again, thank you all. You have given me the info and ideas I was looking for.

Regards,
Charles
The H&H 375 at Bertrams was just reduced in price. A little more than your budget but it is a nice rifle and a genuine 375H&H. May be the best priced one on the market right now.

I don't recall a period in recent history where there were this many 375 HH's on sale on Gunsinternational. A good time to buy yourself a safari rifle.

I agree with some of the previous posts, it may be worth it to spend a little more than you want, I've never heard anyone wine about spending too much on a good rifle, but I have heard a lot of whining about wishing they had spent more to get a good one when the budget rifle doesn't work out so good on safari.

If you can get over 5k for budget there is a lot, a Ruger or Winchester would not be a bad option, however a quick through 375's on GI, this one screams for a chance to go on safari:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarylynCar

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.