Recommendations for a Rifle to Take to Africa?

You may look for a Ruger RSM in 375 H&H 416 Rigby or 458 Lott. These are built on magnum actions but not quite as glamorous as a square bridge magnum mauser but still a very nice gun at a fraction of the price.

In my opinion a 375HH would be a good choice the round can be loaded as heavy as 350g or loaded as light as 200g(never worked for me) so you have a DG and a Plains game caliber in one rifle and don't believe the BS that heavy calibers aren't that accurate.
If I ever decided to downsize my Closet my Whitworth 375HH would most likely be last

If it’s a question of time, I’d buy a nice model 70 in 375 H&H. If not going to Africa yet has been a question of money, I’d take your 300 mag and rent a 375 from outfitter.

Lots of magnum Mauser actions under 10K these days.

Here's a used Whitworth at GB for $1300, a "buy now." If you have the money and want a 375 H&H mag, get this one right now. It ain't a glitzy rifle by any stretch of the imagination, they just work, and do so without breaking the bank.

If you're willing to get in an auction, there are a bunch available at GB, too. Like a bunch of other guys here, I'm a CRF-kind-of-a-guy when it comes to DG calibers. You might not hunt buff this time or next, but 375 H&H is a do-all for everything you will ever hunt in Africa. 375 H&H and 9.3x62 ares to Africa what 30-06 is to North America.

The only caliber I'd take over a 375 H&H as a do-all is a 9.3x62 - a standard long action cartridge with a bit milder recoil.
Yes, snap that one up. It's a gun you can "trick out" easily down the road if you desire. Is it a magnum action? Bolt looks a bit short. Nothing wrong with a standard action 375. Easier to find aftermarket stuff for standard action. I added a 1-4x Bushnell scope ($150), Warne QD rings ($65), base ($10 no kidding!), Winchester Safari Express iron sights ($100), Timney trigger ($85), and Parkwest 3-position Model 70 style safety ($200) for the 404J I built on Czech military surplus 98 Mauser. All but the base were purchased on eBay.

I just went on my first safari last year and after buying a 300 win mag for the trip my ph convinced me to just use his on the first trip. Going through customs the first time is a whole different game if your traveling with a rifle (so I'm told anyway) and because of using different airlines I cut more than a day of travel time from my trip. Since I got home I've bought a Model 70 375H&H that I love and a 416 Ruger Safari that is also a great rifle. Either will be great for future hippo and buffalo. Unless I find a decent price on a 500J before then...

I respect the opinions of those who advocate spending funds on the experience rather than the gun, but candidly I encourage the opposite. For me, the gun is a big part of the experience and I find myself hunting more when I want to “take the gun out”. I also recall all of the game I have taken with my guns when I look at or clean them. I “cant afford to buy cheap things,” and I find I always strive to get the one wanted in the first place, so buying something less ends up being a waste. I think you should get the Rigby you want - I think you can find a vintage one for ~$10K. You wont need to replace it ever!

For example, here is one for $5,500: https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ing-rifle-stalking-rifle.cfm?gun_id=102821061

Attachments

Last edited:
This isn’t really difficult. Just get a model 70 and be done with it. You won’t regret it.

Thank you all for the replies. I’m torn between looking for a pre-64 in 375 or a vintage Rigby in 375. Only looking for a working rifle in general. Something along the lines of the stalking rifle that franzfmdavis posted. Just want something old and that lends itself to Africa. Vintage British or pre-64 working rifles. Something a PH would probably carry. I’m not looking for the finest example out there and don’t want fancy scroll work. Want something I am not afraid to use. Again, thank you all. You have given me the info and ideas I was looking for.

Regards,
Charles

Depends on the area that you wish to hunt. If up in the Limpopo, one of the heavier, slower rounds will work. In the Eastern Cape, one of the flatter magnums will serve you better.

Most places place a limit at .375 H&H for DG. Personally I see my .375 as a working rifle because it's so versatile. I use it for medium to large PG @ 250gr. I have a Browning. Accurate comfortable easy to shoot reliable (so far). As stated, the other all caliber is 30-06. You can max out at 220gr.

My hunting buddy has a model 70 .375 H&H, American made. It is spectacular. Imagine my surprise at hitting the bullseye at 300 meters with a belted case. Get it if you can.

I wanted a 300 wm so bad. There was a Steyr SM12 here that I drooled over for a few months. Decide on another route tho, went with the PRC to do some tournaments.

All the best.

Just spend some nights on gun pages
GB or others and check the stores that sell there , make some searches and see what happens .

Would love to go 300 PRC and have thought of ditching my tikka 300wm for one. What rifle did you go with? NRL style tournaments or more PRS? Not trying to derail my own thread, lol. Just really interested in the 300 PRC for here in the states. Have heard stories of it being a great round in South Africa for plains game.

Charles

Roll with something reasonably priced that is functional. Put the difference towards hunting. Invest in the experience first.

I have a model 700 ks, gasp…. A push feed…375 that has killed hundreds of plains game animals, dozens of buff, a few ele, and it’s fair share of cats. It’s been passed around like a bottle of crown between friends and family.

If I was in your position I would probably buy a Ruger or Winchester.
Hey, I own one of those too.
Messenger_creation_EE9E7EAF-AA8D-47B9-8AFF-121EBFDA4320.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntjeStrut

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.