Recommendations for a Rifle to Take to Africa?

You may look for a Ruger RSM in 375 H&H 416 Rigby or 458 Lott. These are built on magnum actions but not quite as glamorous as a square bridge magnum mauser but still a very nice gun at a fraction of the price.

In my opinion a 375HH would be a good choice the round can be loaded as heavy as 350g or loaded as light as 200g(never worked for me) so you have a DG and a Plains game caliber in one rifle and don't believe the BS that heavy calibers aren't that accurate.
If I ever decided to downsize my Closet my Whitworth 375HH would most likely be last

If it’s a question of time, I’d buy a nice model 70 in 375 H&H. If not going to Africa yet has been a question of money, I’d take your 300 mag and rent a 375 from outfitter.

Lots of magnum Mauser actions under 10K these days.

Here's a used Whitworth at GB for $1300, a "buy now." If you have the money and want a 375 H&H mag, get this one right now. It ain't a glitzy rifle by any stretch of the imagination, they just work, and do so without breaking the bank.

If you're willing to get in an auction, there are a bunch available at GB, too. Like a bunch of other guys here, I'm a CRF-kind-of-a-guy when it comes to DG calibers. You might not hunt buff this time or next, but 375 H&H is a do-all for everything you will ever hunt in Africa. 375 H&H and 9.3x62 ares to Africa what 30-06 is to North America.

The only caliber I'd take over a 375 H&H as a do-all is a 9.3x62 - a standard long action cartridge with a bit milder recoil.
Yes, snap that one up. It's a gun you can "trick out" easily down the road if you desire. Is it a magnum action? Bolt looks a bit short. Nothing wrong with a standard action 375. Easier to find aftermarket stuff for standard action. I added a 1-4x Bushnell scope ($150), Warne QD rings ($65), base ($10 no kidding!), Winchester Safari Express iron sights ($100), Timney trigger ($85), and Parkwest 3-position Model 70 style safety ($200) for the 404J I built on Czech military surplus 98 Mauser. All but the base were purchased on eBay.

I just went on my first safari last year and after buying a 300 win mag for the trip my ph convinced me to just use his on the first trip. Going through customs the first time is a whole different game if your traveling with a rifle (so I'm told anyway) and because of using different airlines I cut more than a day of travel time from my trip. Since I got home I've bought a Model 70 375H&H that I love and a 416 Ruger Safari that is also a great rifle. Either will be great for future hippo and buffalo. Unless I find a decent price on a 500J before then...

I respect the opinions of those who advocate spending funds on the experience rather than the gun, but candidly I encourage the opposite. For me, the gun is a big part of the experience and I find myself hunting more when I want to “take the gun out”. I also recall all of the game I have taken with my guns when I look at or clean them. I “cant afford to buy cheap things,” and I find I always strive to get the one wanted in the first place, so buying something less ends up being a waste. I think you should get the Rigby you want - I think you can find a vintage one for ~$10K. You wont need to replace it ever!

For example, here is one for $5,500: https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ing-rifle-stalking-rifle.cfm?gun_id=102821061

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xctrweyt5635

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.