Rebarrel a Tikka T3 from .30-06 to 9.3x62?

Something like an XS ghost ring...inexpensive, small, and light. Given the range and trajectory on a 9.3x62 (about like a 180 gr 308), it's about an ideal backup for hunting where shooting distances are likely to be no further than about 150 yards, like in Limpopo.

If you're bringing a backup scope, it would make sense to have it mounted in its own set of rings. Just more weight, more expense, more room taken up.
@sgt_zim
When I went to Namibia I took a spare scope that had already been zeroed for my Whelen. If the SHTF I had a spare scope that would need minimum shots to confirm zero.
Bob

I'm in the US so 9.3x62 rifles are a little more scarce.
I have a Tikka T3 in .30-06 that has been replaced by a CZ600 LUX in .30-06

From my internet research you can just change the barrel within cartridge sizes on the Tikkas to recaliber it.

Am I right or wrong, and is this something any gunsmith can do or is there a suggestion for a good US gunsmith?

There is a company called Unknown Munitions in Post Falls Idaho that is really good on Tikka stuff. That would be my go-to for your project.

yes it will be .458 win mag. Africa may be in the cards some day but there are factors that make it difficult at present. My fathers health being chief among the them. For now it will be used for predator called black bears.

I am giving consideration to a 416 Taylor Tikka T3X. Just because I can. Haha.

I have a Tikka T3 that Hill Country Rifles changed from a 300 Win Mag to a 7MM PRC. I hade them put a 20" barrel on it and love it. Killed a Nilgai with it at 248 yards on Monday at the King Ranch shooting a 160 grain Hornady CX round, 1 shot. It wears a Leupold VX 5. See below. I bet you will like yours and I like the classic 9.3 approach you are going for. Cheers
IMG_7540.jpeg

If anything… you might need a new Tikka magazine for a few bucks.
Otherwise, it’s the exact same rifle.
Do it. There’s reasons why it’s still popular and relevant after 119 years.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Tikka in 9.3x62, but for me the 9.3x62 should be a Mauser type action in walnut and blued steel. Again, that's entirely my opinion. I would bet if you sold the Tikka and waited and watched for a 9.3x62, you'll find one eventually and be farther ahead with the overall cost. But, whatever you decide, I wish you the best in your decision. The 9.3x62 is my favorite caliber.

As mentioned above, should be an easy conversion by a competent gunsmith. Other option may be to find one in Canada and have an importer such as IRUNGUNS, or the like bring it across the border.
Prophet River has a laminate version:

I know the import from US to Canada but not sure if they go the other way.

Attachments

• Tikka - 9.3x62 - T3x Laminated Stainless - Oiled Grey Laminate:Stainless, 22.4%22Barrel, 3 rou...pdf
    731 KB · Views: 15

Attachments

• Chambers – Pac-Nor Barreling –.pdf
    82.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Pricelist – Pac-Nor Barreling –.pdf
    282.6 KB · Views: 18
In this old hunters opinion the T-3 rifle is too lightweight for a9.3x62. Unless you like recoil more than most. Just one man’s opinion. I love my cz550FS in 9.3x62 but it has a good 2-3 lbs on the Tikka T-3.

JES Reboring will tell you if there's enough barrel on your Tikka .30-06 to bore out to .366 and remain safe to shoot. Give 'em a call.

In this old hunters opinion the T-3 rifle is too lightweight for a9.3x62. Unless you like recoil more than most. Just one man’s opinion. I love my cz550FS in 9.3x62 but it has a good 2-3 lbs on the Tikka T-3.
This here is where the project ends I think. The rifle is super light and I am looking to actually cut it down to 16-18 inches as a light weight woods gun. With a suppressor it’s the perfect 200yard gun for here in the northeast.

It’ll be a wonderful shooting rifle with an 18” barrel and suppressor.
Most suppressors tame recoil by about 30%, which is significant.

It’ll be a wonderful shooting rifle with an 18” barrel and suppressor.
Most suppressors tame recoil by about 30%, which is significant.
Should bring it down to about 30-06 level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaemswarren

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt