Re-Barrel a .30-06 to ??

I believe I am in the same boat as BnC. I can’t decide between the 35 Whelen and the 9.3x62. So, I am now on the look out for another donor 30-06 so I can get one of each made. Is there another caliber that would work as easily as the 30-06 for a donor rifle? The first one I am getting done is a Ruger M77 MarkII. I’d like to find another one of those for the donor rifle if I can. Also, what length barrel would y’all recommend of each of these calibers? I was thinking 24 inch but haven’t really looked into it that much yet. Thanks again for all the replies.
If you need another '06 I just might be able to help ya out...assuming your after a post '64.
Call me an "enabler".....

Lots of medium-bore love on this thread. Always nice to see! I am an unabashed .35 Whelen fan, respect the capabilities of the .338-06, am strongly considering the .375-06 AI, and love my .400 Whelen.

If you want to go smaller you might be surprised at how much you can get done with a properly twisted 6mm-06 (1:8 or 1:9 will handle 105s and down). Think of it as a .240 Weatherby with cheap brass (it will actually best the Weatherby slightly). Mine is a 700 that shoots 105 VLDs into itty-bitty groups near and far and hits like lightning with a 95 LRX. Sadly, I don't shoot it much as I used to as it has basically become property of Mrs. MedRiver.

Another fun one to consider if you like maximum effort for minimal gains is the .30 Gibbs. Would be a simple rechamber of your existing barrel and, although marginal, there are some velocity gains that will make your 22" .30-06 perform closer to a .300 SAUM/WSM/H&H. I killed a couple elk with mine last year and at 300+ yards I was certainly glad to have the Gibbs rather then my .30-06 or .300 Win Mag ;)

6mm-06.jpg
Gibbs 2.jpg
Gibbs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m almost afraid to mention it, but with the good supply of 6.5 bullets on the market the 6.5-06 would be a good long range mule deer round. High bc bullets at decent speeds - almost 264 Win Mag ballistics with a ready supply of 30-06 brass to reform.

I believe I am in the same boat as BnC. I can’t decide between the 35 Whelen and the 9.3x62. So, I am now on the look out for another donor 30-06 so I can get one of each made. Is there another caliber that would work as easily as the 30-06 for a donor rifle? The first one I am getting done is a Ruger M77 MarkII. I’d like to find another one of those for the donor rifle if I can. Also, what length barrel would y’all recommend of each of these calibers? I was thinking 24 inch but haven’t really looked into it that much yet. Thanks again for all the replies.

The 270 Win should work as a donor rifle. Case dimensions aren’t terrible far off from the ‘06. A good Ruger MKII or Hawkeye would make a lovely open sighted 9.3 with a QD peep on the Ruger rear bridge and a fine bead up front.

I’m almost afraid to mention it, but with the good supply of 6.5 bullets on the market the 6.5-06 would be a good long range mule deer round. High bc bullets at decent speeds - almost 264 Win Mag ballistics with a ready supply of 30-06 brass to reform.
@DG870
The 6.5-06 has been around a long long time. Originally called the 256 Newton.
Bob

Bob needs a 25 Whelen

Bob needs a 25 Whelen
@JimP I don't need a 25 Whelen mate. I have my fast 25. A 303 Brit necked down to 25 cal, shoulder moved forward and given a 35 degree angle, case blown out almost straight and a .257 neck. Powder capacity went from 47gn of H2213sc to 60gn of the same powder.
Even faster than the 25 Whelen.
Bob
20220618_080836.jpg

280AI is the best thing that ever happened to a 30-06 case. A 1-8 twist will run 175 grain bullets at a velocity’s that will kill everything short of dangerous game. With an amazing selection of bullet weights it has very manageable recoil.

you can even get factory 6.5-06 A-Sq ammo from Wby/Norma and others! It's a great round.

Although a Wby is nice, in that case the 25-06 AI can't be beat for long range varmints, antelope and deer. 338-06 and 338-06 AI are also very nice ('Have one and even took it to Africa once. Black bear and piles of deer downed with it at home.)

I have decided to go with a 35 Whelen on the 30-06-re-barrel project that I started this thread about. I should be able to pick up the rifle tomorrow and get it to my gunsmith on Wednesday. Any thoughts on barrel length for this project? I’m thinking 24 inches. I have also decided that I want a 9.3x62 as well. So, I am on the lookout for one of them or a donor rifle I can re-barrel into a 9.3x62. Any thoughts on what would be a good donor caliber for the 9.3x62 project? Something that will require the least amount of work? I will be looking for something that is CRF for this project. Here’s the kicker, it has to be a left-handed rifle. I really appreciate all the input that I got on this thread and the ideas shared. Just another reason this forum is such a valuable resource for the members here.

Last edited:
35W is nice and factory ammo available (same w/ 338-06 A-Sq).

I have decided to go with a 35 Whelen on the 30-06-re-barrel project that I started this thread about. ...

I will be looking for something that is CRF for this project. Here’s the kicker, it has to be a left-handed rifle. I really appreciate all the input that I got on this thread and the ideas shared. Just another reason this forum is such a valuable resource for the members here.
I have a LH Ruger 77 Mrk II in 30-'06. Since I already have a 257 Roberts, 25-'06, 280AI, 7mm RM, 308 Norma Mag, .375 H&H and a 404 Jeffery, I am intrigued by the 35 Whelen or 338-'06. Leaning towards to Whelen. If I go that route, 'll be selling my 338-'06 dies and factory brass.

Fatback, without a doubt you made the right choice. Go with a barrel length of 24." Bob's might be a bit longer. I've settled on 225 Gr. Barnes TSX and a healthy dose of IMR 4064. The load is very accurate and won't "dislocate" your shoulder.:love::love: I don't deny that you will have to hand-load / reload to get what the loads of "yester year" produced. I have some of Bob's highly touted CFE 223 but I haven't tried it yet. If you don't reload, try a box of Hornady's Superformance 200 Gr. projectile at 2900 FPS.

I have decided to go with a 35 Whelen on the 30-06-re-barrel project that I started this thread about. I should be able to pick up the rifle tomorrow and get it to my gunsmith on Wednesday. Any thoughts on barrel length for this project? I’m thinking 24 inches. I have also decided that I want a 9.3x62 as well. So, I am on the lookout for one of them or a donor rifle I can re-barrel into a 9.3x62. Any thoughts on what would be a good donor caliber for the 9.3x62 project? Something that will require the least amount of work? I will be looking for something that is CRF for this project. Here’s the kicker, it has to be a left-handed rifle. I really appreciate all the input that I got on this thread and the ideas shared. Just another reason this forum is such a valuable resource for the members here.
@Fatback
My Whelen has a 25 inch medium profile stainless barrel with a 1 in 12 twist and bread blasted.
This allows the heaviest bullets to be used. A minimum muzzle diameter of 0.7 inches is recommended if you want to save weight. Savage makes a left hand 110 and Douglas makes a profit 35 1 in 12 barrel. The savages are capable of fin accuracy.
Just my thought as I made mine out of a Stevens 200/ Savage 110. A Rifle basics trigger is a good trigger for the older Savage's and min is set at 2#. The new Savage's have the excellent Accu-trigger that doesn't need replacing.
When you start reloading for the Whelen make sure you have a good supply of CFE223 as it really give the whelen a set of balls. There's a shit load of reloading info on this forum about the Whelen.
There's people on the forum that have used this Info and retired their 338WM as their have found the Whelen to do everything the little 338WM does. You can get 2,900fps and 4,300fpe of muzzle energy out of the wheken with 225gn bullets.
2,700fps and just over 4,000fpe with the 250s
For serious horse power a 310gn Woodleigh at 2,400+ and over 4,000fpe leaves nothing to be desired on bigger beasts. The 310s have a similar sd to the 350gn 375 projectiles.
Sorry about the long winded story but I do love the Whelen
Bob

I have a LH Ruger 77 Mrk II in 30-'06. Since I already have a 257 Roberts, 25-'06, 280AI, 7mm RM, 308 Norma Mag, .375 H&H and a 404 Jeffery, I am intrigued by the 35 Whelen or 338-'06. Leaning towards to Whelen. If I go that route, 'll be selling my 338-'06 dies and factory brass.
@Nevada Mike
Go the Whelen stoke it up with CFE223 and go shoot shit.
If you do your job right you can leave your hiking boots at home as you will not be tracking game very far if at all.
Bob

Fatback, without a doubt you made the right choice. Go with a barrel length of 24." Bob's might be a bit longer. I've settled on 225 Gr. Barnes TSX and a healthy dose of IMR 4064. The load is very accurate and won't "dislocate" your shoulder.:love::love: I don't deny that you will have to hand-load / reload to get what the loads of "yester year" produced. I have some of Bob's highly touted CFE 223 but I haven't tried it yet. If you don't reload, try a box of Hornady's Superformance 200 Gr. projectile at 2900 FPS.
@Shootist43
Come on Art load up some 250s with 64gn of CFE223 to 2,700fps so Art jnr can have some fun. You've had 2 years to do it.
When you touch it off it will still leave your hat on your heed.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeviHyde3

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt