Re-Barrel a .30-06 to ??

I would do 9.3x62, 35 Whelan, 338-06, or 318 Westley Richards. I have all but 338-06 but I load my 338 Win Mag to 338-06 level.

The 318 is a pet project of mine but does present a challenge with dies, bullets, brass, etc. The 9.3x62 is my favorite of the 3 and seems to punch well above its weight. 375 H&H performance with .30-06 recoil. Same can be said for 35 Whelan but I have less experience with it.

I have one too many -06’s in the safe. You all have given me an idea! Think I’ll go visit the gunsmith today and discuss the 35 whelen conversion -thanks!
How about 375Ruger? Works in an 06 receiver. I'd go 9.3x62.

I was able to get a Ruger M77 Mark II in 30-06 today at a good price. Wood stock and blued barrel. Thing is I already have a
30-06 so I bought this rifle with the intention of possibly having it re-barreled to another caliber. I’ve got a couple of different ideas but nothing that really stands out to me and wanted to get some thoughts from some of y’all who are much more versed and experienced in such matters. I have rifles chambered in .270 win, 300 win mag, 375 H&H so take that into consideration when offering suggestions on possible re- barrel calibers. I’d primarily be using this rifle to hunt deer and pigs here at home and possibly PG in Africa. Looking forward to hearing some thoughts from y’all. Thanks.
All great ideas above. Maybe go with a boomer like a Lott. You’re already nicely covered with your lighter calibers.

Those Mauser and Whelen cartridges do sound interesting, though.

Appreciate all the recommendations. I am really liking the idea of a 35 Whelen or a 9.3X62. I am going to do some looking around for factory loaded ammo for both and whichever once I can find the most/best of will probably go a long way to determining the final choice.

Appreciate the input. I’ve been considering the 25-06 or the 9.3x62. The 35 Whelen seems like a good choice to consider as well. As far as leaving it a 30-06, I’ve already have one that I enjoy and shoot well so just looking to expand my cartridge horizons. Keep the recommendations coming. Also, I don’t re-load so I do have to consider the availability of factory loaded ammo.
If you don’t reload then stick with the’06. Every man and his dog offers it in just about every bullet weight and style that has ever been dreamt up and it’s more likely to be available in the corner store in Timbuktu than just about anything else….22 rim fire excepted.

And remember this….the 30/06 is never a bad choice.

R eight,
Agreed, the ‘06 is a good choice and I already have one that I shoot well and enjoy. I bought this second one because I got a good deal on it with the sole intention of re-barreling it to a more unique caliber. At this point I’m debating between the 35 Whelen and the 9.3x62

25-06 would be my first choice, with a 35W a close second.

Having a super fast quarter bore would fill a large gap in what you listed in the first post. Awesome choice for coyote and pronghorn antelope.

I understand what others are saying about the 338-06, 35W, 375RUGER and the 9.3's...but you already having a 375H&H makes these nearly redundant IMO.

R eight,
Agreed, the ‘06 is a good choice and I already have one that I shoot well and enjoy. I bought this second one because I got a good deal on it with the sole intention of re-barreling it to a more unique caliber. At this point I’m debating between the 35 Whelen and the 9.3x62

As an FYI - for factory ammo, 35W is about half the price of 9.3x62.

Neither one of them are easy to come by, at least not right now. If you've never reloaded, might be the time to pick it up. Both of those cartridges are very forgiving. @Bob Nelson 35Whelen has some great recipes for 35W. Myself and probably 20 other guys on this forum have great recipes for 9.3x62.

The only thing I haven't shot out of my 9.3 is Barnes and North Fork - I have some A Frames, just haven't shot them yet. I didn't get great groups with Partition or Accubond, but I've gotten good groups with everything else, from velocities in the mid-2200 to the mid-2400s with 286 gr.

As an FYI - for factory ammo, 35W is about half the price of 9.3x62.

Neither one of them are easy to come by, at least not right now. If you've never reloaded, might be the time to pick it up. Both of those cartridges are very forgiving. @Bob Nelson 35Whelen has some great recipes for 35W. Myself and probably 20 other guys on this forum have great recipes for 9.3x62.

The only thing I haven't shot out of my 9.3 is Barnes and North Fork - I have some A Frames, just haven't shot them yet. I didn't get great groups with Partition or Accubond, but I've gotten good groups with everything else, from velocities in the mid-2200 to the mid-2400s with 286 gr.
I’ve shot the A frames out of both of my 9,3’s. Velocity was around 2500 is so. Good accuracy at about 1.5” at 100 yards which I find acceptable. They’d probably tighten up with the load reduced a tad bit.

I'd go with a .338-06 or .35 Whelen with a REBORE. No need to open up the bolt face or mess with the magazine and you won't lose your a** on resale with a new chambered barrel. OR, I'd sell your other .30-06 and buy a REAL cartridge in .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM and never look back! LOL

9.3x62 better range of factory ammo than 35 W, not nasty to shoot & thumps down pigs like lightning.
Great cartridge in 9.3x62! However, if one reloads, the 9.3 brass is EXPONENTIALLY more costly than the plentiful once fired '06 brass here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeviHyde3

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt