Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NMLRA, SCI,
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa, Zimbabwe
In today's commercial market of night scopes I am totally clueless.

Tennessee has finally, although limited the use of, has approved night hunting with night scopes and use of electronic calls for coyotes and bobcat.

I'm interested in mounting a night scope on my 22 Hornet.

For those that use and have experience hunting with night scopes I would like to hear your recommendations, pros and cons, and using a night scope on a rifle that isn't threaded for a suppressor.

If possible, rather if available, I would prefer a combination daylight/night scope for use.

Also information and experiences on taking a night scope to use in RSA. I know certain technology, ie night scopes are regulated for import/export so I'm looking for something that an individual can legally export/import.

The Arken Zulu, a digital day and night scope is gaining a lot of popularity in the U.K. they are at an affordable price point also. Daytime optics are not going to be at Zeiss, Swarovski etc levels but perfectly capable.
I can’t comment on bringing a night scope to SA. But if I were to take one across borders in the EU I would require an export licence.

You will need both a rifle scope and a handheld monocular. I’d look at Pulsar. It won’t be an inexpensive endeavor, but it does open up a whole new block of time for hunting. The better quality you buy, the more you will be able to see.

I’d spend more on the handheld monocular than the scope, as you’ll spend significantly more time on the monocular.

Several years ago I spent money on pulsar night vision, which I used with limited success. There is a big difference between sitting in a blind 75yards from a hog feeder and hunting PAC elephant in a mealie field at unknown distances. You just do not know the distance. NV fell into disuse except in a blind lion, leopard &hyena.

Fast forward I ordered and accumulated the really good stuff. Pulsar binocs with rangefinder. Pulsar top dollar scope with range finder. Then my world came crashing down. Now I do not think I can even PROPERLY mount and put the rifle scope into operation.

The binocs are a dream, but heavy. I believe this is the way to go.

I purchased mine in Zimbabe.

Lon

Years ago I went cheap with a Yukon NVRS. It still works but is nowhere near modern equipment.

Oh,I just saw your suppressor note. My dedicated night rifle is suppressed, without it the flash WILL blind you for an hour. Even with subsonic loads, the NV will amplify the flash quite a bit.

Maybe modern ones do not? I don't know.

Last edited:
I had not considered muzzle flash.

Lon

My pH in Limpopo for night animals used all pulsar stuff. I shot animals with the high end scope and the cheaper scope attachment. The high end scope was 1000 times better then the attachment.

My thought: I have had night vision. Pulsar among them. I would skip that and go straight to Thermal. Cheapish Thermal trumps higher end NV in my opinion. The downside to thermal is harder target ID, however at .22 Hornet Ranges that will not be an issue. What is your budget?

I have an admittedly "Budget" $2500 AGM Thermal but it works well for predator control here in Montana. And I have several friends who have two different $8,000 thermal scopes which is awe-inspiring. And there's some very decent $1500 thermal out there now as well. Grudgingly I will say there is passable $1000 thermal that would work in TN as they're ok but very cold-sensitive.

My thought: I have had night vision. Pulsar among them. I would skip that and go straight to Thermal. Cheapish Thermal trumps higher end NV in my opinion. The downside to thermal is harder target ID, however at .22 Hornet Ranges that will not be an issue. What is your budget?

I have an admittedly "Budget" $2500 AGM Thermal but it works well for predator control here in Montana. And I have several friends who have two different $8,000 thermal scopes which is awe-inspiring. And there's some very decent $1500 thermal out there now as well. Grudgingly I will say there is passable $1000 thermal that would work in TN as they're ok but very cold-sensitive.

I haven't seriously started looking at scopes and prices yet, so the budget hasn't been set. For my use and not doing an infinite amount of night shooting, and considering the very second I hand over my cash, the very next second a better scope within or under my budget will hit the shelves. I'm guesstimating a budget of $2500.00 to $4000.00 range.

Since my plan for 2025 is to hunt some night critters in RSA. I was wondering if any members might have exported and imported a night scope and what the procedures are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TomAllum8

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]