AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
MBS, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Limpopo South Africa. US. Maryland. Kentucky. West Virginia. Ohio. Illinois. Pennsylvania. Delaware.
So while on Safari in RSA recently I took a magnificent Golden WIldebeest. One was not on my original "list", but throughout the week everytime I would see one, I would marvel at their beauty. On the last day of my Safari I added one to my list. He was a dandy. My PH told me that a Golden Wildebeest cannot be entered into SCI as they do not recognize the species. This lead me on a "Google hunt" and I see varying opinions on if they are a branch of the Blue Wildebeest or if they should be a separate species. My PH measured him and he qualifies as a Bronze Medal SCI animal. However because SCI does not recognize the Golden, he was measured as a Blue Wildebeest. My question is this: Is it "OK" or allowable to enter a Golden as a Blue, or is this considered bad form?
gw.jpg

Yes. So, in your opinion, it's OK to enter it in SCI as a Blue?
In my opinion it is a blue wildebeest. Also in real life it is a blue . I see no issue entering it. That’s like having a separate category for a white bison . It’s still a bison

This post has me wanting to ask, are these bred for the color or natural thing? While asking, are the various colored impalas bred for that as well? The posted photo is gorgeous.
Natural color variant but bred to proportions that never existed naturally

There is a golden sable now as well that is breeding pure in a controlled environment. The first hunt for one sold at the DSC Foundation Dinner last weekend for $25+K. :rolleyes: I did not bid.

Last edited:
There is a golden sable now as well that is breeding pure in a controlled environment. The first hunt for one sold at the DSC Foundation Dinner last weekend for $25+K. :rolleyes: I did not bid.
My PH said that 10 years ago a Golden Wildebeest was going for 200K! I got mine at under 3K.

I saw a herd of around 70 blue wildebeest. There was one golden in the bunch.

It was a natural occurrence. In places where they are common, they have been selectively breed.

Still a very pretty critter. It is just a color phase of blue wildebeest.

So I submitted the photo of me with, what is clearly, a Golden Wildebeest to SCI and asked for a Photo Medallion Plaque. The attached paperwork says Blue Wildebeest. They said this is not a problem and this is how it is to be entered. So there is our final answer. Golden Wildebeests DO get submitted to SCI as Blue Wildebeests.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngieHamli

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.
JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?