Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
USA, Namibia
I know some of you are sagacious gun nuts compared to me. A few years ago I inherited a Browning Safari rifle in .375 H&H. It has a butter-smooth action and it’s quite pleasant to shoot. The family member who died acquired it only a few years before from a source unknown to me.

I’m dimly aware of the “salt stock” problem some of these had. IIRC, this family member had some assurance that this rifle wasn’t affected, but I have no proof of that. There’s enough wear and rub on the blueing that it seems to have seen some action. It shoots well under 1 MOA at 100 with my hand loads, so that’s a plus.

I don’t see much discussion about these rifles here. Anyone love them? Anyone hate them?

There’s also another Browning Safari rifle in .458 Win. I don’t yet have that one in my possession, but I’ll most likely end up with it eventually.

On my one and only DG safari to date I used a CZ 550 in .416 Rigby. I’m a big fan of that rifle and cartridge, but the .375 H&H might need a trip “over there” too.

A penny for your thoughts….
IMG_4130.jpeg
IMG_4129.jpeg
IMG_4131.jpeg

Nice Rifle!

One of the best magazine rifles there ever was. The only issue is that the factory magazine coil spring needs to be replaced with a stronger aftermarket one. Otherwise, recoil from the first shot can sometimes cause the magazine floor plate to spring open when using American made ammunition (strangely enough, this would rarely occur when German RWS ammunition was being used). After 1970, quality began to deteriorate once Fabrique Nationale began to omit the bolt guide.

In regards to the salt cured stock issue, it is only an issue for rifles & shotguns made from 1966 until 1972. To tell, you need to remove a screw or two or remove the barreled action from the stock. If real bad, you can tell by dark spotting on the stock where it touches steel. All the salt cured rifle stocks which I’ve ever seen were of Claro wood, not Walnut wood.
IMG_3243.png
IMG_3244.png
IMG_3245.png

Last edited:
Replace the treated lumber with a high quality walnut or whatever good to exotic wood, free float the barrel, and have fun hunting with it.

You have virtually have a magnificent rifle, that needs some, not much improvement.

Salt and metal don't mix well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timot6429

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!