Question for the lever action experts - Paul Newman's rifle in Hombre?

cash_tx

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Question for you lever action experts: What type of rifle is this that Paul Newman is using in the movie "Hombre"?

that was a goood movie thanks for bringing it back to my memory; looks original with the deep shoulder curve in the butt,

One of my favorite movies! Must confess, that's where I got my name. LOL

From a quick internet sleuthing:

It’s a modified 1873 in .44-40 per Peter Sherayko's book,"Tombstone, Guns and Gear”. Also, it happens to have been used in the movie Tombstone according to the book.

A lot of brutal honesty in that movie. Not the more typical Hollywood western.

I love corny not so honest westerns too though.
Altitude: If John Wayne, Ward Bond, Victor McLaglen, or Jimmy Stewart is in it - I LIKE IT !! Old Westerns are outstanding: Real “stunts” by men who could really ride a horse (some outstanding horsemanship), real cattle (1000s of them), a single “plot line” that anyone could follow, No nudity (too bad on that), …. I wish I could buy some of the real guns that were used in those movies - some were later sold as movie memorabilia “collectibles”

If I was getting paid for all the hours of westerns. And John Wayne movies I have watched.

I could have afforded the eye patch John Wayne wore as Roster Cogburn. I was bidding on it until it got out of hand. I do have a John Wayne belt buckle though.

If I was getting paid for all the hours of westerns. And John Wayne movies I have watched.

I could have afforded the eye patch John Wayne wore as Roster Cogburn. I was bidding on it until it got out of hand. I do have a John Wayne belt buckle though.
Altitude: You have John Wayne’s “Belt Buckle”!! From what movie? I think that’s Great, he was my “hero” growing up and my Uncle’s also. What did you pay for his Belt Buckle? I think that’s better than the Eye Patch —- you could wear his belt buckle. I believe one of his SA Revolvers was sold (orange tinted handles and worn in several movies including War Wagon + El Dorado)

I do wear it. Hank it’s a replica. Not the real JW buckle

IMG_3597.jpeg

I do wear it. Hank it’s a replica. Not the real JW buckle

View attachment 591636
Nice - one of his Best Movies, I read that he didn’t like Montgomery Clift, referred to him as “arrogant” and thought the final fight scene between the two would be “unbelievable“ because Clift was such a small skinny little guy.

What did the eye patch go for?

From a quick internet sleuthing:

It’s a modified 1873 in .44-40 per Peter Sherayko's book,"Tombstone, Guns and Gear”. Also, it happens to have been used in the movie Tombstone according to the book.
Reminds me of the Colt Walker pistol that was used in both the original True Grit and The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Haven’t seen that movie in awhile, but I thought the calibre was mentioned in it, I see info that says it was a model 1873 in 44-40, but I thought that the calibre mentioned in the movie was larger. I had initially thought of an 1876 because of the calibre that I thought that it was, now I have another movie to rewatch on my list. Thanks for the post

Last edited:
A lot of brutal honesty in that movie. Not the more typical Hollywood western.

I love corny not so honest westerns too though.

Examples that can e to my mind immediately: James Garner's two "Support Your Local" movies.

"I've never made any secret of the fact that basically I'm on my way to Australia."

I met the Dukes double once. And he was quite the character himself

I have a pair of Crockett spurs that belonged to John Wayne they came to me by way of Michael Wayne.

I also have the spurs that Leo Carillo (Pancho in Cisco Kid) always wore he was a real horseman.

Lon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilarEastw

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?