Question for the lever action experts - Paul Newman's rifle in Hombre?

One of my favorite movies! Must confess, that's where I got my name. LOL
I never forgave Paul Newman after he did that radio ad in the 80's for HSUS or ASPCA. It played on the radio a lot at the time. Does anyone else remember it? It went something like"This is Paul Newman, and if my voice sounds a little shaky right now it's because I've just learned that our wildlife refuges have been turned over to hunters. I have always believed that wildlife refuges, refuges that our tax dollars pay for were places for the safety of animals." He then went on to ask people to contact their representatives to end the practice. Of course, he also asked people to donate money to whichever idiot animal rights group he was promoting.

Obviously, he left.out facts like the refuges were paid for by taxes on hunting and fishing equipment or that hunting was always part of the plan for refuges. I decided I would never spend a dime on any movie or product with Newman's name on it.

I never forgave Paul Newman after he did that radio ad in the 80's for HSUS or ASPCA. It played on the radio a lot at the time. Does anyone else remember it? It went something like"This is Paul Newman, and if my voice sounds a little shaky right now it's because I've just learned that our wildlife refuges have been turned over to hunters. I have always believed that wildlife refuges, refuges that our tax dollars pay for were places for the safety of animals." He then went on to ask people to contact their representatives to end the practice. Of course, he also asked people to donate money to whichever idiot animal rights group he was promoting.

Obviously, he left.out facts like the refuges were paid for by taxes on hunting and fishing equipment or that hunting was always part of the plan for refuges. I decided I would never spend a dime on any movie or product with Newman's name on it.
DOUG: I certainly don’t agree with Paul Newman’s opinion on wildlife nor his opinion of hunting and likely a lot more. I never watch any Movie because I admire or agree with any Actor - they make a living because they can “pretend” to be something they are Not. If I only watched Actors or Entertainers that I respected, agreed with, or thought I had things in common with - I’d have to stick with Bugs Bunny. I GO TO THE MOVIES TO BE “ENTERTAINED”, Not informed or lectured. I did Not know Paul Newman but liked most of his movies, along with John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart and even Tom Cruise ——doubt I have anything in common with any of them and No idea what type of Men, Husbands, Fathers or People they really were…..they might not of liked me either. Does anyone really care what they think?

DOUG: I certainly don’t agree with Paul Newman’s opinion on wildlife nor his opinion of hunting and likely a lot more. I never watch any Movie because I admire or agree with any Actor - they make a living because they can “pretend” to be something they are Not. If I only watched Actors or Entertainers that I respected, agreed with, or thought I had things in common with - I’d have to stick with Bugs Bunny. I GO TO THE MOVIES TO BE “ENTERTAINED”, Not informed or lectured. I did Not know Paul Newman but liked most of his movies, along with John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart and even Tom Cruise ——doubt I have anything in common with any of them and No idea what type of Men, Husbands, Fathers or People they really were…..they might not of liked me either. Does anyone really care what they think?
No,but you don't have to give money to.actors get more trend you, and I don't. I don't care how they feel.personally, but when they use their fame to attack something I care deeply about I draw the line.

By the way, John Wayne hunted. So did Clark Gable. Tom Sellek, does, as does Kurt Russell and Rick Schroder, but they don't talk about it to avoid offending the nonhunters. That makes them smart.

Sometimes yoh have to stand up for what you believe, and put your money where your mouth.is. I would not do business with an avowed Satanist or a member of a drug cartel either.

Exactly. I see actors as actors and entertainers. I would guess most of them have a different view of things than I do. I don't watch the products of their skill to learn of their politics. I prefer and admire the skills of some actors more than others. Many times it's best if I ignore their politics and focus on their skill and acting. Even some fair to midlin CW entertainers simply can't act in western roles you'd think were made for them. Willie Nelson and the late Glen Campbell come to mind- they simply can't or never could act. I also don't pay much attention to movie prop guns other than occasionally noticing errors in the use of wrong arms in the wrong place or wrong time. But spending too much time nit picking such only ruins the story and effect of the movie. Also, I'm certain sometimes exactly correct arms may not be available from the prop houses supplying the production company making any particular movie.

I don't particularly take to the politics of Robert Redford or Paul Newman nor do I spend much time paying attention to them. However, the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was, IMO, really entertaining and well done in both direction and acting. I live in some of the movie's real settings and every time I walk around in or drive through it I am left in wonder how in the heck did that gang find their way, in haste after robbing the bank in Telluride Colorado, to their Robbers Roost hideout in Utah without killing themselves and their horses? Some of that country is for all intents and purposes impassible by anyone short of being fully equipped for tedious/slow mountain/rock climbing- not to mention men on horses, in a hurry, carrying heavy loot. Mystery to me!

Last edited:
No,but you don't have to give money to.actors get more trend you, and I don't. I don't care how they feel.personally, but when they use their fame to attack something I care deeply about I draw the line.

By the way, John Wayne hunted. So did Clark Gable. Tom Sellek, does, as does Kurt Russell and Rick Schroder, but they don't talk about it to avoid offending the nonhunters. That makes them smart.

Sometimes yoh have to stand up for what you believe, and put your money where your mouth.is. I would not do business with an avowed Satanist or a member of a drug cartel either.
Doug, that logic has to be compromised everyday in order for us to live - it could carry on into everything and have No Expiration date: Every movie ever made will have people that have done or said rotten things— profiting from that movie (Director, Producer, cast, crew etc..). Crap - Now I can‘t go to the movies?? I can’t drive a Toyota because of what Japan did to Pearl Harbor ? Or own a German made firearm or drink a German beer for the same WWII reasons, can’t like Madonna’s music because she “Might Not” be a Virgin? OK - I’m getting stupid here but my direct actions and financial contributions to causes I support are “what I do” towards things I believe in —-Not what I avoid Or boycott. Now, be honest - Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid was one of the great movies of all time = top 100 ever…go watch it Along with “Cool Hand Luke” and “the Hustler” then report back with your revised opinion of Paul Newman.

If you watched the TV series The Rifleman or any re-runs, you certainly noticed the loop lever carbine with rapid fire capability. Not a bad TV series. It was set in SW NM in the 1880s. Turns out in order to rig a Winchester lever gun to do that, the armorer hired to build the "auto fire on cycle" carbine for the show, had to use a Winchester M1892 and not the appropriate M1873. :)

I even remember watching a movie, IIRC set in the 1600s, where one of the actors used a revolver to escape a castle. :) Not a bad moving either.

A couple years ago I watched an old episode of Dr Who, a TV series set in England and filmed primarily in England over the course of many years and several Drs. In a house used for filming a couple of scenes, I noticed a shoulder mount NA pronghorn hung on the wall of one of the rooms. Go figure :)

The exact, historically correct route the Wild Bunch used between the bank robbery in Telluride CO and Robbers Roost UT, a straight line distance of over 150 miles, is anyone's guess. They may not even have gone directly from the robbery to the hideout and may split up, done other things over a period of time before gathering up again at Robbers Roost. In any case, no matter which direction you approach Robbers Roost from, there is little doubt it was chosen with purpose! The difficulty of cross country travel in this area of the SW US, on foot or horseback, cannot be overstated! Any doubts?... follow the San Miguel/Dolores River drainage down to Gateway CO then figure a way to go any distance west into Utah.... good luck :) If following the San Miguel drainage from Telluride down toward Naturita then turning westerly along Disappointment Valley, the logical Dolores River crossing is at Slick Rock before continuing westerly toward Utah. You won't go very far before running into countless deep cuts and tributaries of the upper Grand Canyon of the Colorado river. That whole area of Colorado and Utah is a criss cross, switch back maze of narrow, deep, straight sided canyons. Even in the flats there are endless numbers of deep, head cut arroyos.

Last edited:
I even remember watching a movie, IIRC set in the 1600s, where one of the actors used a revolver to escape a castle. :) Not a bad moving either.
If I remember right somehow a gunsmith went back in time and built that pistol and used it to kill a knight shooting the bullet through the armor.

Either that or I saw a similar movie a very long time ago.

For some reason I think that the name of the movie is "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court"

Doug, that logic has to be compromised everyday in order for us to live - it could carry on into everything and have No Expiration date: Every movie ever made will have people that have done or said rotten things— profiting from that movie (Director, Producer, cast, crew etc..). Crap - Now I can‘t go to the movies?? I can’t drive a Toyota because of what Japan did to Pearl Harbor ? Or own a German made firearm or drink a German beer for the same WWII reasons, can’t like Madonna’s music because she “Might Not” be a Virgin? OK - I’m getting stupid here but my direct actions and financial contributions to causes I support are “what I do” towards things I believe in —-Not what I avoid Or boycott. Now, be honest - Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid was one of the great movies of all time = top 100 ever…go watch it Along with “Cool Hand Luke” and “the Hustler” then report back with your revised opinion of Paul Newman.
No. You missed the point. I only boycott those people or companies that use their fame to attack something I care about. I do not boycott Toyota or even Mitsubishi (they built he WW2 Zero). That is all business and in the past. I am not still boycotting Newman's movies or products, but I did when he was still alive. I will not buy a Subaru product now because they make a big deal.out of how they ate the largest corporate donor to ASPCA, a rabidly anti hunting organization. I made sure the local dealer knew why I would not buy one of his vehicles, and would try to educate my friends and family not to buy them either. I did make the point to one friend of mine. His wife wad.going to buy a Subaru, then changed their minds. The actions of one person will not effect the actions of the company, but if every hunter in the US took those actions it would make the point. You've heard the expression, "Go woke, go broke." If you haven't heard it, look up the sales of Bud Light, since they sponsored a "trans-athlete." It's like that.

If I remember right somehow a gunsmith went back in time and built that pistol and used it to kill a knight shooting the bullet through the armor.

For some reason I think that the name of the movie is "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court"
Different movie but odd coincidental similarity for sure. The King Arthur timeline would be early to mid 500s. The movie timeline I remember certainly was 1500s to 1600s and the one using the revolver didn't time-travel nor dream the event. Seemed at the time the prop revolver was likely substituted, generically, as an early handgun. I can visualize the producer and set designers making the list for procurement from a prop house, listing one of the items as "old handgun". The prop house simply crated up all the items on the list and shipped them to movie set. Director, producer and set designers went with what they had since they were on a money and time budget and the handgun was not a major element to the plot anyway. :)

No. You missed the point. I only boycott those people or companies that use their fame to attack something I care about. I do not boycott Toyota or even Mitsubishi (they built he WW2 Zero). That is all business and in the past. I am not still boycotting Newman's movies or products, but I did when he was still alive. I will not buy a Subaru product now because they make a big deal.out of how they ate the largest corporate donor to ASPCA, a rabidly anti hunting organization. I made sure the local dealer knew why I would not buy one of his vehicles, and would try to educate my friends and family not to buy them either. I did make the point to one friend of mine. His wife wad.going to buy a Subaru, then changed their minds. The actions of one person will not effect the actions of the company, but if every hunter in the US took those actions it would make the point. You've heard the expression, "Go woke, go broke." If you haven't heard it, look up the sales of Bud Light, since they sponsored a "trans-athlete." It's like that.
Doug: everyone needs to do what they are comfortable with and spend their money where they want. I never drank Budlight - or any light beer so that’s an easy boycott for me But if i liked that beer, i would still buy it And if I didn’t like a beer Nothing they did could make me buy it

Doug: everyone needs to do what they are comfortable with and spend their money where they want. I never drank Budlight - or any light beer so that’s an easy boycott for me But if i liked that beer, i would still buy it And if I didn’t like a beer Nothing they did could make me buy it

Doug: I understand the animosity towards ASPCA and they use to be a “true” animal welfare organization but now have become more extreme and openly anti hunting. I believe they still do a lot of “good” and compare them to the NRA — well intended, do much good, but also screw up and support causes that I don’t agree with…. When I find a more perfect organization I might “switch” but for Now they both appear to be the best games in town

I read that Mark Twain's book ages ago and I still remember it as being one of the funniest books ever. It must have been an earlier version I guess because it was called "A Yankee in King Arthur's Court."
Thanks for bring up great memories.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilarEastw

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?