Pulling front or back trigger first

Key words re double rifle from HH is “in a good quality rifle “.

I cannot conceive of a situation when shooting as to why anyone would shoot rear trigger first in a properly configured DR.

The whole idea is to shoot the right barrel first and slide back onto the rear trigger quickly . The stock is designed that way.

Crazy to do it otherwise “in a good quality rifle “ !
Wen guiding I may have to shoot either a solid or soft depending on situation so both barrels need to be an option.

HorseFeathers On a properly regulated double you can pull the triggers either way. the sequence is the same and Ive tested many for group over the years. A double will only shoot as well as the "worst" barrel, confuses the average human...
The old adage that doubles are regulated to pull the front trigger "first" is the earliest sales pitch in the gun world along with a sack full of witchcraft!!

Last edited:
HorseFeathers yOU PULL THE REAR TRIGGER TO SAVE A DOUBLING AND A FINGER OF TWO...hOW THEY WERE REGULATED IS AN OLD WIVES TALE GOING BACK MANY YEARS..CALL BUTCH SEARCY OR ??? iF YOU GROUP ANY DOUBLE FOR GROUPS IT WILL SHOOT THE SAME EITHER WAY FOR THAT MATTER..
When I read this comment, I could hear the voice of Colonel Potter ;)

1722037483821.jpeg

:):). Thank goodness I didn’t grow up “learning” which trigger was PROPER to pull first! The only shooting training or advice I ever had that accounted for anything was by an old crank rifle instructor in the Army who knew what the hell he was talking about and knew how to teach and likewise by an experienced senior LE Academy handgun instructor.

Also, that rifle instruction was over 50 years ago and I credit it with being able to shoot well off hand and from sticks.

Last edited:
Gents,

I am new to the forum so please excuse the fact that I've not poured through the threads to uncover the multitude of times this has probably been discussed, but here goes:

I have a very lightly used Merkel 140-2 in 375 H&H. I took it to the range two days ago and loaded up for my inaugural first two shots. I was immediately surprised how bad it kicked. Granted I have a 416 Rigby I've got hand loads for that will rattle your teeth, but this seemed just as bad or worse. I opened the breech and both cartridges had fired. No wonder. I was a bit concerned but I believe I may have shot the rear trigger first since I had on shooting gloves... After, I decided to load singles from either side for a few rounds. I pulled opposing triggers to see if I could get it to discharge the wrong barrel and it didn't seem to. Very well regulated in fact shooting singles.

Back to two shells. Loaded up, doubled again. I can confirm I pulled back trigger first on that one. I shoot SXS shotguns a lot on bird hunts and was taught to pull back to front. Only reading g in these forums that doesn't seem to apply to dbl rifles.

Should it really matter??? I'm not that big of a glutton for punishment, so I cleaned the rifle and put it away for the day. I will likely take it back out next weekend. My plan is to use one full load and one primer only load and try either barrels and see if the doubling is in fact the pull order... Any other thoughts?

Are the triggers sticky from non use for years? Is there some internal cleaner that may solve anything like that before I send it off to someone? I'm open to thoughts on troubleshooting... Also would love a recommendation on someone who works on Merkels if I have to go that route. I realize the Alabama location is closed now? Bummer.

There has to be others that have had to fix this issue... Thanks all.

Gents,

I am new to the forum so please excuse the fact that I've not poured through the threads to uncover the multitude of times this has probably been discussed, but here goes:

I have a very lightly used Merkel 140-2 in 375 H&H. I took it to the range two days ago and loaded up for my inaugural first two shots. I was immediately surprised how bad it kicked. Granted I have a 416 Rigby I've got hand loads for that will rattle your teeth, but this seemed just as bad or worse. I opened the breech and both cartridges had fired. No wonder. I was a bit concerned but I believe I may have shot the rear trigger first since I had on shooting gloves... After, I decided to load singles from either side for a few rounds. I pulled opposing triggers to see if I could get it to discharge the wrong barrel and it didn't seem to. Very well regulated in fact shooting singles.

Back to two shells. Loaded up, doubled again. I can confirm I pulled back trigger first on that one. I shoot SXS shotguns a lot on bird hunts and was taught to pull back to front. Only reading g in these forums that doesn't seem to apply to dbl rifles.

Should it really matter??? I'm not that big of a glutton for punishment, so I cleaned the rifle and put it away for the day. I will likely take it back out next weekend. My plan is to use one full load and one primer only load and try either barrels and see if the doubling is in fact the pull order... Any other thoughts?

Are the triggers sticky from non use for years? Is there some internal cleaner that may solve anything like that before I send it off to someone? I'm open to thoughts on troubleshooting... Also would love a recommendation on someone who works on Merkels if I have to go that route. I realize the Alabama location is closed now? Bummer.

Fortunately, there is a fix and it has been discussed in a few different posts on this form. If you reach out to @Rare Breed he can explain it all to you in greater detail and where he sent it for repair: jj perdeau

You won’t feel too bad if you read through the other forum posts about Merkel 141 as this was a common issue.

Last edited:
The guns are built front trigger first, as can be shown by the trigger lay out. Right handed guns have the front trigger more to the left, the rear trigger spur is more to the right. A left handed built double the trigger spurs are set up the opposite way. How you chose to use each barrel is up to the individual and situation. The key is to practice practice practice, even using sub caliber inserts if possible.

The guns are built front trigger first, as can be shown by the trigger lay out. Right handed guns have the front trigger more to the left, the rear trigger spur is more to the right. A left handed built double the trigger spurs are set up the opposite way. How you chose to use each barrel is up to the individual and situation. The key is to practice practice practice, even using sub caliber inserts if possible.

You have it a$$ backwards. Front trigger is more to the right of the back trigger on the right-handed guns and more to the left on the left-handed guns. At least they are that way on the 3 left-handed doubles I own and the Rigby I ordered is coming that way as well.

Gents,

I don't really understand the he logic of pulling the rear trigger first, especially on ads shotguns. The front trigger, right barrel is the more open choke. Rising birds are closer in the uplands. Pass shooting ducks, doves, pigeons, etc. you wait for them to get as close as possible before shooting. In either case the advantage is to shoot the more open choke (front trigger) first. Why would you have been taught to pull the rear trigger first?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deo

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.