Project Savage 110 in .35 Whelen

I’m not sure why the barrel looks shiny in the picture, but in real life it’s already bead blasted, and not a lot of shiny to it at all
I used a thicker, magnum recoil lug that I had from the last Savage 111, and it works perfectly, and flat as can be.
Yup, I like to work up to max loads. I like keeping my digits, hands, and forearms in perfect working condition!

Hawk
I think you should get Townsends @Bob Nelson 35Whelen digital signature and have it engraved into the stock? It would then become the "Bob Nelson Signature Model". LOL

I’m not sure why the barrel looks shiny in the picture, but in real life it’s already bead blasted, and not a lot of shiny to it at all
I used a thicker, magnum recoil lug that I had from the last Savage 111, and it works perfectly, and flat as can be.
Yup, I like to work up to max loads. I like keeping my digits, hands, and forearms in perfect working condition!

Hawk
@ hawkeyesatx
Is it this type of mag or the staggered left right feed.
Bob
Screenshot_20220724-104443_Google.jpg

I have a Savage 110 with a Shaw 338-06 barrel. It’s a magnum contour barrel and it makes the rifle muzzle heavy. I’m seriously considering cutting the barrel back to 20 or 21 inches to hopefully help the balance of the rifle. I know this will come at the expense of 100 or 150 fps. Have any of you with a similar rifle done this or considered this? Thanks

Hey @Bob Nelson 35Whelen!

There is a guy on another site that is loading his 35 Whelen to 65k psi, using 250 gr pills, getting them up to 3001 fps, and over 5000 ft-lbs of muzzle energy.

He’s using RL-17, .270 Win brass, & HBN coated bullets. Oh, and using a .270 Win receiver.

So, upping the velocity, and pressure can be safely done. It’s just the recoil that can be the limiting factor.

Hawk

Hey @Bob Nelson 35Whelen!

There is a guy on another site that is loading his 35 Whelen to 65k psi, using 250 gr pills, getting them up to 3001 fps, and over 5000 ft-lbs of muzzle energy.

He’s using RL-17, .270 Win brass, & HBN coated bullets. Oh, and using a .270 Win receiver.

So, upping the velocity, and pressure can be safely done. It’s just the recoil that can be the limiting factor.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
As long as it's safe in thier rifle that's fine. I can't see to many reloads per case tho. Primer pockets wouldn't take long to stretch at those pressures.
Even I won't push the limit that far but that's just me.
Those velocities with a 250gr would turn it into a handful.
Bob

@hawkeyesatx
As long as it's safe in thier rifle that's fine. I can't see to many reloads per case tho. Primer pockets wouldn't take long to stretch at those pressures.
Even I won't push the limit that far but that's just me.
Those velocities with a 250gr would turn it into a handful.
Bob

Agreed

Hawk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VerleneRus

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt