Project Savage 110 in .35 Whelen

As I read the model you are working with I was thinking that's soundsike something Bob would do.
He has been a bit quiet.

hawkeyesatx, my 35 Whelen which was built from an '03-A3 sits in a Boyd's Laminate stock. Two African hunts and a bunch of Whitetail and Hog hunts later and nary a whimper.

Hey Art!!

Which animals did you get in Africa when you took your Whelen?
Our .35 Whelen is the equivalent of the European and African 9.3x62!
It astonishes me that not a lot of people don’t use the Whelen.
I plan on using my Whelen on deer up to moose, and possibly bear hunting, and grizz!
I know I’m definitely not under gunned with a Whelen.

Hawk

As I read the model you are working with I was thinking that's soundsike something Bob would do.
He has been a bit quiet.

Yes, Bob used a Stevens 200 to build his .35 Whelen.
I don’t think there’s any difference between the 200 and my Savage 110.
That’s alright by me!
I know they aren’t the prettiest action, but they sure are amazingly strong, and have safeguards that are a lot better than a lot of other mainstream rifles.

Hawk

I just knew he's mentioned them a bit and he rattles on about the Whelen a lot

Hello Mates!!

I finally got around to switching out the Savage 110 .270 barrel to the ER Shaw .35 Whelen.
The stock isn’t fully inlet yet, put very close!
Here’s the pic of her almost fully complete!
Whatcha think @Bob Nelson 35Whelen?

Hawk

View attachment 478547
@hawkeyesatx
Hawk looks good mate but that barrel is a bit shiny. Get it bead or soda blasted to dull it off.
When you put it back together did you use a competition recoil lug.
If not glue some emery paper on some glass and dress the old one until perfectly flat then bed.
Use my loads but start low and work up.
Bob

If anyone has a Stevens 200 synthetic stock they wish to donate, I will be more than happy to take it off of your hands for you.

No joking, I will.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
Remember there's 2 types of stocks for the Stevens 200. One is for the centre feed mag box that stays with the stock when disassembled. The other is for the normal double stack mag.
Bob

I’m really surprised it’s not as popular as it could be.
The -06 case makes it extremely efficient, plus it rivals the .338 Win Mag in trajectory and power.
To me, less powder, less recoil, than the .338 Win Mag, and having the frontal area of that .358 cal bullet, forget about it!
I just wish I would have found the .35 Whelen 20 years ago. I wouldn’t have loosened several fillings in the process.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
Hawk the 310s at 2,400+fps will get your attention very well I can assure you of that especially off the bench

Yes, you are correct.
It’s just a hair tight.
That’s exactly what I was going to do. Get the old copper pipe, and sandpaper!!
Great minds think alike!!

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
If at BeeMaa had a great mind he would never have bought an R8 especially as they don't do a Whelen barrel.
Seeing he went down the R8 rabbit hole he has become myopic and doesn't see to well. He has even started to think the 375H&H is a 35STW.
Strange things have happened to him since he got his R8. He sits around and electric log fire pretending he is out bush, pipe in mouth a fine scotch on the table beside him while lovingly oiling the R8 and dreaming of big adventures to come. All that while he has a far away look in his face muttering and what do you think Mr Seleous, and no no Mr Bell I humbly have to disagree.
See those R8 do strange things to people.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

35 Whelen is overrated, rainbow trajectory, lacks shoulder for proper headspacing, and a far cry from many claims to the contrary.
Why I wouldnt have one up my arse!!

Gimme a .338 any ol day of the week!
:W Dynamite: :A Outta: :rolleyes::ROFLMAO::eek::cautious:
@sestoppelman
No self respecting Whelen owner would let one near your arse. Now a 243 that a different thing.
That 338 fire breather takes half a bucket more powder to be half as good as the humble Whelen. I can live with the trajectory but how do you go sitting down with half a dozen 243 barrel suppositories.
Now play nicely or I will have to come over with a tube of Vegemite and a bottle of Bundy and sort you right out you man
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

@hawkeyesatx
If at BeeMaa had a great mind he would never have bought an R8 especially as they don't do a Whelen barrel.
Seeing he went down the R8 rabbit hole he has become myopic and doesn't see to well. He has even started to think the 375H&H is a 35STW.
Strange things have happened to him since he got his R8. He sits around and electric log fire pretending he is out bush, pipe in mouth a fine scotch on the table beside him while lovingly oiling the R8 and dreaming of big adventures to come. All that while he has a far away look in his face muttering and what do you think Mr Seleous, and no no Mr Bell I humbly have to disagree.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
Bob, there is nothing wrong with a fine Scotch.
Keeping company like that it seems appropriate to indulge in a something with a little age and quality.

Bob, there is nothing wrong with a fine Scotch.
Keeping company like that it seems appropriate to indulge in a something with a little age and quality.
@CBH Australia
Is that why you think I'm a great bloke mate I have a bit of age and a lot of qualities tho some qualities may not be recommended to others.

@hawkeyesatx
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
Thanks @Bob Nelson 35Whelen. It's been a tough run and without all of your encouragement, I wouldn't be the Blaser R8 man I am today. Yeah, they don't make a 35W, but guess what...neither does Savage. LOL. Have a good weekend mate!

@CBH Australia
Is that why you think I'm a great bloke mate I have a bit of age and a lot of qualities tho some qualities may not be recommended to others.
Yes, you have a bit of age.
I would happily drink Scotch with the likes of Selous, Bell, BeeMaa and Colonel Whelen, shit I've been known to drink Rum before 9am with Bob Nelson with no campfire in site.

Yes, you have a bit of age.
I would happily drink Scotch with the likes of Selous, Bell, BeeMaa and Colonel Whelen, shit I've been known to drink Rum before 9am with Bob Nelson with no campfire in site.
When we get together, drinks on me mate...regardless of location or campfire.

@sestoppelman
No self respecting Whelen owner would let one near your arse. Now a 243 that a different thing.
That 338 fire breather takes half a bucket more powder to be half as good as the humble Whelen. I can live with the trajectory but how do you go sitting down with half a dozen 243 barrel suppositories.
Now play nicely or I will have to come over with a tube of Vegemite and a bottle of Bundy and sort you right out you man
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
Too funny!!!

@hawkeyesatx
Hawk looks good mate but that barrel is a bit shiny. Get it bead or soda blasted to dull it off.
When you put it back together did you use a competition recoil lug.
If not glue some emery paper on some glass and dress the old one until perfectly flat then bed.
Use my loads but start low and work up.
Bob

I’m not sure why the barrel looks shiny in the picture, but in real life it’s already bead blasted, and not a lot of shiny to it at all
I used a thicker, magnum recoil lug that I had from the last Savage 111, and it works perfectly, and flat as can be.
Yup, I like to work up to max loads. I like keeping my digits, hands, and forearms in perfect working condition!

Hawk

I’m not sure why the barrel looks shiny in the picture, but in real life it’s already bead blasted, and not a lot of shiny to it at all
I used a thicker, magnum recoil lug that I had from the last Savage 111, and it works perfectly, and flat as can be.
Yup, I like to work up to max loads. I like keeping my digits, hands, and forearms in perfect working condition!

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
Hawk what magazine have you got. Centre feed or staggered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VerleneRus

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt