Primitive North American Stone Weaponry - Mysteries

I have a pretty decent collection of Native American artifacts including some with holes in them. I have no clue what to call them , here is a few.
Ok, I am truly bitter with jealousy.

Not on points but a great channel I watch regularly is “ desert drifter” he is exploring very remote cliff dwelling structure and artwork. Lots of pottery shards like @Red Leg showed. It’s amazing to see where and how these dwellings were situated and built.

I really can’t take credit for them, I found some of them but my grandfather found almost all of them along with my father. He traveled to every state with heads he found in Virginia to trade with local collectors.
Thanks for posting. That is another great collection! Also, I see there are some of those dang celts mixed in there :) . I assume many artifacts with holes may be necklace ornaments, buttons or possibly something for keeping tally of services or credit- aka wampum.... I dunno

You call that pretty decent/ Id call it a museum., I see mostly softer material and flint or chert east of the rockies, while out west we see mostly obsidian or basalt, i did fined one point made from a glass bottle, and supposedly a ship wreck in the 1800,s along the n. coast of california provided a massive amount of glass wine bottles, . IT seems to me archaeologist cant figure something out they just fall back on 'its religious ceremonial and move on :I know an old, older than me cowboy who worked a ranch in Arizona that had massive amounts of pottery and points , he said he rode up to a small spring one time and a large rock above it had a cross carved in it and a date 1764. same old cowboy worked a ranch in oregon and found a giant skeleton 8' + in a dry lake bed as well as 1oos of artifacts. state came and removed the skeleton and they never heard any more about it.

Unusual stuff, like a point knapped from glass bottle!, is always cool. I have found a few things that are out of place for era and location. A couple years ago I was tending my burn barrel near my house. It is sitting on an open area on the drain field… an area completely distributed when building my house, plus all kinds of gravel mixed in. I glanced down and there sits a Dalton-type point!
A much older form than the “eared”, younger points I find locally. Also found a little group of 3 iron “trade” points a few years ago, probably dating from 1860s based on the US Cavalry activity/ outpost in the area.

Last edited:
Obsidian has to be my favorite material, we have some from the Pacific Northwest . At present we have 6 or 8 thousand in our possession, when my grandfather died we donated quite a few to James Madison university, Bridgewater College and the Waynesboro Virginia public library.

Obsidian makes perfect sense for points, a fact not lost on those dependent upon them throughout history. Volcanic glass…consistent / predictable knapping/flaking and extremely sharp product.

Last edited:
My collection is quite small but all picked up myself mostly in the area around Lexington Texas.
The the animal and human prints in the stone were taken on a ranch near Sonora Texas.
I also have some pottery shards and a matate with Mano found on my property in nw Colorado.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1725012761174.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725012761174.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 25
  • FB_IMG_1725012767421.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725012767421.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 22
  • FB_IMG_1725012771979.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725012771979.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 22
  • FB_IMG_1725012798399.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725012798399.jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 22
  • FB_IMG_1725012803970.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725012803970.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 24
  • FB_IMG_1725012831122.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725012831122.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 25
My collection is quite small but all picked up myself mostly in the area around Lexington Texas.
The the animal and human prints in the stone were taken on a ranch near Sonora Texas.
I also have some pottery shards and a matate with Mano found on my property in nw Colorado.
Assuming that print is indeed a print and not a petroglyph, and is in a sedimentary formation, I pray a paleontologist has been notified and will document it. I do not know of a material that will solidify in 20-23K years (typical accepted oldest potential date of human settlement in North America). There is circumstantial evidence they were earlier, likely much earlier. This could rewrite a lot of history.

Assuming that print is indeed a print and not a petroglyph, and is in a sedimentary formation, I pray a paleontologist has been notified and will document it. I do not know of a material that will solidify in 20-23K years (typical accepted oldest potential date of human settlement in North America). There is circumstantial evidence they were earlier, likely much earlier. This could rewrite a lot of history.
Everything is indented fairly deep into the stone. The ranch I hunted on said it had been reported to some organization but I can't verify that. There was one other possible footprint that wasn't quite as clear in the lower right of the one photo.
Obviously I have no expertise in these things but do find out extremely fascinating.

Last edited:
Everything is indented fairly deep into the stone. The ranch I hunted on said it had been reported to some organization but I can't verify that. There was one other footprint that wasn't quite a clear also
Those look like sheep or goat tracks, has anyone verified what they are?

Just a couple other photos from same location

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1725024647457.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725024647457.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 17
  • FB_IMG_1725024640918.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725024640918.jpg
    631.9 KB · Views: 17
  • FB_IMG_1725024623647.jpg
    FB_IMG_1725024623647.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 15
Definitely looks like some deer and rounded hooves of some other animal

Definitely looks like some deer and rounded hooves of some other animal
In one of those last pictures you can see the toe of my size 12 shoe.
The tracks are wider, obviously the ground was soft and the hooves splayed out but still very large.
I should have put something for reference but some are very very large

The incongruity and mystery common to this area of interest is exactly why it is interesting. :)

Small group pic for comparison. All these found within 150 miles of 4 corners area of US.
NW New Mexico and SW Colorado.

Left to right:

iron trade point (ca. 1860-1880)

two of the most common forms of arrow points from SW US (approx 700 BC to 1400 AD)

Dalton-like, possibly Duncan point found amongst other artifacts on my property but out of place and time era. Good example of an incongruity. Considered much older form- possibly 3-4000 years older.

various points.jpeg

Just a couple other photos from same location
Yep, those tracks could be called a mystery! The circular depression appears to be a grinding pit (mortar)- same function as a metate w/mano. Its use would require a pestle. I have seen those in SW NM. Those tracks are a different matter. Yikes, definitely look like cloven hoof with dew claws. Got me? The only track ways I've ever personally seen were in some exposed siltstone deposits dated to 150 million years or so and made by early, large amphibian. Large mammal tracks in hard stone formation??? Could they have been purposefully gouged out to portray mammal tracks?

Yep, those tracks could be called a mystery! The circular depression appears to be a grinding pit (mortar)- same function as a metate w/mano. Its use would require a pestle. I have seen those in SW NM. Those tracks are a different matter. Yikes, definitely look like cloven hoof with dew claws. Got me? The only track ways I've ever personally seen were in some exposed siltstone deposits dated to 150 million years or so and made by early, large amphibian. Large mammal tracks in hard stone formation??? Could they have been purposefully gouged out to portray mammal tracks?
There are some rather incredible dinosaur prints near Tuba City, AZ - but they are 200 million years old - long before our earliest humanoid ancestors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sara29R474

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]