Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NAHC
Hunted
South Africa, Ohio, Florida, Wyoming, Arizona
This is Tina and I on our first big game hunt together. With Bighorn Outfitters in Buffalo Wyoming, 2022.
IMG_20221101_082143.jpg

A61B58A5-9E6B-42DF-8825-BD0B138CD870.jpeg
93A2AD99-D174-42DC-A6F8-B32BFA738721_4_5005_c.jpeg

Fort Belknap Indian Reservation, near Malta, Montana, about 14 or 15 years ago.
Remington Model 722, caliber .257 Roberts.
Sierra 117 grain flat base spitzer @ around 2850 fps.
Leupold 6x power scope with standard crosswires and 1 minute dot reticule.
The range was about 35-40 paces, after a long, tedious crawl and waiting for what seemed like forever for this buck to graze toward myself and the Guide while we waited in the sage brush, on our bellies.

The skull on my book shelf is one of my best memories from hunting in Montana.
The oil painting was done by my mother, many years before I was fortunate enough to hunt a pronghorn.
IMG_3590.png
IMG_3591.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_20240930_192701.jpg

This was shot in Oregon about 2000 with a patched round ball.
received_1030433987951106.jpeg

This was about 12 years ago and shot with my pet 270, also in Oregon.
My largest, ironically, was in Wyoming. I've never scored him but he's probably right at B&C. I don't have a photo of him handy.

1727750271087.png

I suppose I could have held out for a better one, but I was so happy my son suddenly asked if he could go with me to WY. Up until then he showed no interest in hunting or getting his hands dirty. I wanted to keep the hunt fun and fit a lot of things into the short trip. After butchering, we ended up soaking at the Hobo hot spring and meeting some cousins. Now one of my happiest memories.

Cool rifle and great old school scope in that pic. Who’s the maker? And what model optic is that?
That is a 9.3x62 built for me by Dennis Erhardt out of Helena MT. That scope is an early Lyman Alaskan. I have modern optics for that rifle, but I usually just leave the Alaskan on it because I enjoy it.

We were actually hunting elk, but held multiple other tags. Hence the reason she used the 9.3.

Fort Belknap Indian Reservation, near Malta, Montana, about 14 or 15 years ago.
Remington Model 722, caliber .257 Roberts.
Sierra 117 grain flat base spitzer @ around 2850 fps.
Leupold 6x power scope with standard crosswires and 1 minute dot reticule.
The range was about 35-40 paces, after a long, tedious crawl and waiting for what seemed like forever for this buck to graze toward myself and the Guide while we waited in the sage brush, on our bellies.

The skull on my book shelf is one of my best memories from hunting in Montana.
The oil painting was done by my mother, many years before I was fortunate enough to hunt a pronghorn.View attachment 637347View attachment 637352
It is my steadfast opinion, that the .257 Roberts is the finest cartridge ever invented by the mind of man for the purpose of hunting Pronghorn.

That is a 9.3x62 built for me by Dennis Erhardt out of Helena MT. That scope is an early Lyman Alaskan. I have modern optics for that rifle, but I usually just leave the Alaskan on it because I enjoy it.

We were actually hunting elk, but held multiple other tags. Hence the reason she used the 9.3.

Beautiful work by Erhardt.. and I think your choice of the Lyman is really cool.. it tops the rifle really well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NolanMesse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?