Merkel 140AE vs 160AE

From what I can tell the rifle was produced around 2010. I’ll confirm with Merkel once I receive it and reference the serial number.

Any idea what the Merkel double rifles of the mid 2000s were regulated with?

It looks like Federal, Barnes, Hornady and Norma continue to produce 470NE today.

From what I can tell the rifle was produced around 2010. I’ll confirm with Merkel once I receive it and reference the serial number.

Any idea what the Merkel double rifles of the mid 2000s were regulated with?

It looks like Federal, Barnes, Hornady and Norma continue to produce 470NE today.
I’m sure since you bought a double you reload. Otherwise getting factory ammo that regulates is problematic at best. My 470 sweet spot is 2150 FPS with 500 grain bullets. I use RL 15.5 at 84 grains to get 0.6 inch regulation at 50 yards. Congratulations on your purchase!!! 160’s are beautiful guns in wood and engraving compared to the 140

I’m sure since you bought a double you reload. Otherwise getting factory ammo that regulates is problematic at best. My 470 sweet spot is 2150 FPS with 500 grain bullets. I use RL 15.5 at 84 grains to get 0.6 inch regulation at 50 yards. Congratulations on your purchase!!! 160’s are beautiful guns in wood and engraving compared to the 140
I…..do not.

I’m a sucker for spending thousands on big bore factory ammo each year. Guessing I’ll have to start rolling my own if none of the factory offerings perform well.

Did you experiment with all available factory loadings?

I’m currently seeing the following in-stock, all with 500gr @ 2,150fps.

Federal Cape Shok - Barnes banded Solid
Federal Premium Safari - Swift A Frames
Federal Premium Safari - Barnes Triple Shock
Hornady DGS
Hornady DGX
Barnes VOR-TX solid
Barnes TSX
Norma African PH softs

You may get lucky seriously and find factory ammo that regulates. The ammo you list is very good and has the right FPS. Unless you are hunting elephant I would pass on the solids. Or you may get into reloading that is fun and easy. Midway has every tool you need for $500 on sale now. all you need to add are brass, primers, bullets, powder and fillers.

I purchased a Merkel 140 .470NE that @Rare Breed used to own. I use his reloading recipe described in his response because it was regulated for those reduced loads by JJ Predeau at his request; however, I did try some factory ammo for comparison and actually had pretty good groups at 50y with Barnes TSX FB 500gr, which i believe was because it also moves at 2,150fps at the muzzle. The factory ammo is just much more punishing in recoil than the reloads. For reference, the rifle is a 2008 model.
image.jpg
IMG_6519.jpeg

I purchased a Merkel 140 .470NE that @Rare Breed used to own. I use his reloading recipe described in his response because it was regulated for those reduced loads by JJ Predeau at his request; however, I did try some factory ammo for comparison and actually had pretty good groups at 50y with Barnes TSX FB 500gr, which i believe was because it also moves at 2,150fps at the muzzle. The factory ammo is just much more punishing in recoil than the reloads. For reference, the rifle is a 2008 model. View attachment 635783View attachment 635786
That's good to know. Barnes is some of the "cheaper" 470 ammo available here. What velocity are your reloads going at?

That's good to know. Barnes is some of the "cheaper" 470 ammo available here. What velocity are your reloads going at?
They are my reloads. They are at 2150 FPS. As stated I get the same FPS with 84 grains of RL 15.5 as factory ammo loaded with different powder that needs 106 grains to yield the same FPS as the reloads. That is why you heard incorrectly my reloads kick far less than the factory ammo not because I load them down but because I know the goal with DRs is to use the lightest loads with your desired weight bullet to achieve your desired FPS. I always can do this with reloads better than any factory ammo unless you have a custom reloader shop who will use your desired powder

I…..do not.

I’m a sucker for spending thousands on big bore factory ammo each year. Guessing I’ll have to start rolling my own if none of the factory offerings perform well.

Did you experiment with all available factory loadings?

I’m currently seeing the following in-stock, all with 500gr @ 2,150fps.

Federal Cape Shok - Barnes banded Solid
Federal Premium Safari - Swift A Frames
Federal Premium Safari - Barnes Triple Shock
Hornady DGS
Hornady DGX
Barnes VOR-TX solid
Barnes TSX
Norma African PH softs
There are some different ways you can go about this. If you do not want to reload, one of the best, surefire methods is to send the double to JJ Perodeau with whatever factory ammo you want to shoot. Chances are he can regulate it to that load without much trouble. If you want to have an more versatile double, have him set it up for a QD Trijicon sight at the same time. I'd guess $1600 all in not including the ammo, but a quick call to him would give you a better idea. Once JJ dials the double in with the factory ammo, buy a lifetime supply of it.

I just bought a 160AE in 500NE can't wait to shoot it and get ready to go after some buffalo next summer!!
That's awesome, congrats! Did you rifle come with the paperwork for which ammo it was regulated with? I'm curious to know what brand they were using or the 160s.

I'm also trying to figure out production years for the 160, I have a feeling it was introduced after the 140s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntonioHus

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?