Poor Man's Mannlicher Schoenauer 1903

Fallschirmjaeger

AH senior member
Reaction score
I understand that these are worth more as original Greek rifles, but years ago I bought a semi-sporterized Breda 1927 that was too far gone to restore to its military garb. I had been reading a book by W. D. M. Bell and his elephants and I was just kind of enamoured at the time. This one has about a 25" barrel and was closer to the rifle that Bell carried than the stutzen MS guns. I wasn't a fan of the sporterized stock it sat in, and found a gent on a forum who had an inletted and terribly bedded Fajen stock with fantastic grain. I ground out the bedding and re- inletted it. Then I carved it down, added an ebony tip and grip cap, and bedded it again. That was a nightmare. But now I'm to the point where I'm adding a few coats of alkanet oil and she's starting to get prettier. I found another guy on eBay who sells MS parts and he sold me an original rear sight base, banded front sight base, and barrel mounted sling band. The original sporterizing gave the bolt a swept back butter knife bolt handle similar to the later MS models, but I prefer the straight butter knife handles of the early MS guns. So back to eBay, I purchased a spoon bolt handle that I filed to match what i was looking for. The gun still needs to have the sights soldered on (I suck at soldering and wouldn't trust myself to get proper alignment), and the bolt handle welded on, but it's getting there. Bluing will also need to happen, but I considered getting it ceracoated with the gun blue color.

In the meantime, I ended up purchasing a 1903 stutzen and I'm starting to lose interest in this project. Do you feel it's a worthwhile endeavor to keep going with the project, or am I better off just selling the thing as a project for someone else to finish? The bore is nice, and it will probably shoot pretty well, but this has been a labor of love and I'm running out of motivation lol.

J1lH66Y.jpeg

zPBdYED.jpg

VOmxXZH.jpg

uETn9ea.jpg

You have a really good start on it! It's going to be a good looking rifle.

Beautiful rifle. You've already put a bunch of work into it so pursue your dream and finish it! If not let me know! I personally agree I like the look of the long barrel, short stock vs the stutzen rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaverneSun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available