Politics

Similar.. we buy in bulk from COSTCO.. and typically keep a 30-60 day supply of non perishables on hand all the time... everything from things like rice, pasta, spaghetti sauce, etc.. to toilet paper, paper towels... to sugar, salt, pepper, etc..etc..

90% of toilet paper used in the US is made in the US. The other 10% can be brought in on truck and rail. So toilet paper will not be impacted by the sea lanes. But of course hoarding could be a problem.

I’m more concerned about coffee. I can live without toilet paper, coffee not so much.

Even though my niece owns a coffee bean import and roasting company. I prefer my type. and just bought a large stash.

I know everyone believes they fully understand that foreign aid is a free grab bag for graft, but at least for the portion that is military aid (a very large slice), that is simply not true. I also do not believe it is true of State Department managed funds, but of that I do not have personal experience. I'll again point out that I was, as a Major General, the Chief of US Army Security Assistance (I am sorry if noting my experience again triggers the easily offended). In other words, I oversaw negotiation, award, and management of all US Army international security assistance programs. As I have pointed out repeatedly, a large measure of US military assistance is in kind. Combat platforms that we are no longer using. Two exceptions are Egypt and Israel which benefit from appropriations resulting from the peace accords following the Yom Kippur War.

In those cases and others, I also managed new military assistance programs where an authorization and appropriation was then competed for a procurement for the assisted nation. No money changes hands. The appropriation was handled just like any other procurement by the Army except the end item and accompanying maintenance and training packages went to the foreign source. There is no pile of lose cash to access.

I obviously worked very closely with my two counterparts in the Air Force and Navy. Each service has very strict auditing procedures, and then each service is further audited by DOD.

The strictness of US program management has historically meant that allies would buy or participate in the most critical programs with the US - for instance M1 Abrams, Bradley, and Paladin for Saudi Arabia - and less critical materiel from other countries with less strict accounting - Saudi Arabia's European truck fleet. The shared development and procurement of the F-16 and now F-35 are Air Force examples.

It is curious to me that so many feel compelled to believe there is some kickback scheme involved in international assistance.

What one does find internationally are bribery schemes where a foreign company bribes a foreign procurement decision maker to win a contract. Large American defense corporations watch for that very carefully, and any individual caught doing so is personally criminally liable. But that is rather different than the nonsense that American officials are somehow skimming millions from foreign aid.

Around 30 years ago Congress required all government agencies to be able to pass an "unqualified audit". To date, the Department of Defense is the only agency that has never passed an audit. This with internal auditors. One can only imagine the results of a Big 4 audit. Yes DOD is the largest agency, scattered throughout the world. It would be a monumental undertaking. The general public would have much more faith in the system if DOD could pass a GAAP audit at the same level as most business, organizations, states and other government agencies have to pass.

Even this past year DOD can't account for $1B of military aid to Ukraine. I'm not saying it is graft but it is certainly poor management by DOD at best.

Regarding Ukraine which it looks like your post was dealing with, I don't know if there is any corruption within the military aid. Last I saw which was a year or so ago, military aid was around half of all aid going from America to Ukraine. USAID and NGO's funded by DOS, CIA, etc is full of problems. I have witnessed graft twice on a small scale regarding US taxpayer money given to a strategically insignificant African country. The $1 billion aid package Joe Biden held up to get Victor Shokin fired for investigating Burisma who was paying $50,000/mth to Hunter Biden plus other monies that haven't been divulged yet is an example. Ukraine was the second most corrupt country in Europe, even behind Russia before the invasion. Is there any reason to think this changed with the advent of billions of extra dollars flowing through the coffers. It is interesting that the Ferrari, Lamborghini and other luxury dealers in Romania and Bulgaria can't keep cars on the showroom floor due to the demand coming out of Ukraine. That is not typical of a country in the throes of war.

. It is interesting that the Ferrari, Lamborghini and other luxury dealers in Romania and Bulgaria can't keep cars on the showroom floor due to the demand coming out of Ukraine.
Source? If I remember there was also a totally debunked rumor about Zelzny buying yachts with the money.

Kickbacks & graft go back thousands of years. How do you think the Dems fill their slush funds?

A billion dollars unaccounted for within the DOD?........LOL . The swamp knows exactly where that money went.

Not sure who is more idiotic, her for suggesting Biden should abolish the Supreme Court, or the audience for applauding.

The point isn’t determining how to slice up the pie, it’s how to make the pie bigger. Technological advances improve human productivity freeing humans up to perform higher value tasks. Your argument would have kept us at 40 acres and a mule.
Exactly! Instead of 80% of the population growing food it is under 2%. Stop and think what that means.

For better or worse.
I'm sure we on here go from guys wanting to go back to Little House on the Prairie all the way to some like @Tanks wanting a new vacation mansion on Mars;)

As I have pointed out repeatedly, a large measure of US military assistance is in kind. Combat platforms that we are no longer using.
I thought that equipment went to the Marines?

Not really political but... Back in March I predicted on my FB page that my beloved Royals would finish with a winning record and maybe make the post-season.

Mission accomplished. Condolences to any Orioles fans on here.

I also predicted Bobby Witt, Jr. would win the MVP award. He won't, but I bet he finishes second. He is simply incredible.

OK, back to the elections and foreign affairs...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XJCPatrick

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]