Politics

Seems with the escalation in Gaza and the shit show that has been Ukraine, everyone should dust off a copy of Smedley Butler’s “War is a Racket”. To best understand the nonsense our “elected leaders” world wide play on us.

Seemed like the appropriate place to put this. The new US Embassy in Windhoek, Namibia. Our tax dollars at work. Seen from the Thule Hotel.

Attachments

• IMG_20240804_124916797.jpg
    IMG_20240804_124916797.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
Any boots on ground thoughts on the "uprising" in UK ?

Is it real or is the media hyper focused?

I read the new pm is considering lockdowns to put a stop to it.
That would be so blatantly anti-native Brits as to that I can hardly believe it.

Any boots on ground thoughts on the "uprising" in UK ?

Is it real or is the media hyper focused?

I read the new pm is considering lockdowns to put a stop to it.
That would be so blatantly anti-native Brits as to that I can hardly believe it.
From what I can tell from my friends and family there, it seems extremely overblown.

Just the usual story with this kind of stuff. A very unfortunate criminal case, false claims on social media claiming that the defendant was an immigrant (note, he was British born) which sparked riots in a couple major cities from some fringe right wing parties. All the usual scumbags then took the chance to commit petty crime and steal stuff.

At this point it's just your run of the mill civil unrest, criminal element driven looting, just the same as the BLM 'protests' devolved into. Any claims that this is a great political 'uprising', or even particularly indicative of popular sentiment have no more truth than the BLM riots representing some great groundswell of popular support. It's just a narrative being pushed on right wing sites this time instead of left wing ones.

It'll die out organically in a week or so, but I feel for the people who have to deal with the property damage and losses in the interim.

Thx for that.
Its just that the pm felt a need to address it so I wondered if it was significant.

Thx for that.
Its just that the pm felt a need to address it so I wondered if it was significant.
I guess it's 'significant' in being the largest instance of riots in about a decade, but I don't think it's politically or socially significant beyond that. Nor do I think it'll enact any significant change to the political landscape or to policy.

As I'm on this topic and some people seem interested, some general commentary on the UK 'immigration' politics thing. Just my own opinions, not based on any great insight.

There is certainly some popular support for more stringent immigration control in the UK. This has mostly emerged in the last 20 years or so with a couple of parties such as the 'English Defense League (EDL)', 'British National Party (BNP)' and (to some extent) the UK Independence Party (UKIP)' being formed off the back of it.

However, the topic isn't a big factor for the majority of people and so the parties remain niche. The most successful of them has been UKIP (now Reform), who attained 14.3% of the vote in 2024. Note, UKIP is the most moderate of the 3 mentioned, and also the ones least explicitly anti-immigration, being more concerned with European separation and UK independence. They gained popularity over Brexit and are now trying to remain relevant. You might say that immigration is one of UKIP/Reform voters' top 5 issues, but probably isn't number one. I expect it's not the main driver for their support either.

The others never broke 1% of the vote at any time and have basically disappeared after the peaks in roughly 2010. I'd say they occupy a similar spot to the US Tea Party or the more extreme left wing parties. They have some support, enough to get some airtime, but not nearly enough to actually have a chance of forming a government.

Also worth noting that neither major party has really touched the topic in terms of manifestos or policy. The 'moderate right wing' conservative party pays some lip service on occasion, but both parties know that this isn't an issue that'll gain them much, so they just leave well enough alone.

As for these current riots and why now, I'd attribute it to a couple of factors.

#1. the latest election has once again been a pretty comprehensive failure for these parties. They gained some of the vote (around 15% as mentioned), but due to peculiarities in the UK election system, they have attained only 5 seats in parliament (0.8% of seats).

#2. What's worse, they achieved this loss whilst Labour, the 'moderate left wing' party in UK politics, won a landslide. Labour supports none of these parties policies. At all. As such, the people who do make up these parties, especially the more fringe ones like the EDL, are feeling pretty frustrated and disenfrachised. It's clear to them that conventional political means aren't going to get them anywhere and I'm sure they're not attributing that to their lack of popular support, at least internally.

#3. It's summer and the weather is nice. Sounds silly, but nice weather and rioting are incredibly closely correlated. Guess these people care enough to go protest, but not if they'll get damp or chilly in doing so. Also, we're currently in the off-season for Premiere League Football and the UK just lost the Euros. Again, sounds ridiculous, but the demographic for a lot of those parties coincides heavily with spending their time watching 'the footie' and I expect they might not have bothered going out if it interfered with game day.

Throw in a bit of a spark in some criminal proceedings and here we are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
doureem

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available