Politics

Here is a well written piece about Trump that the easily wounded and insulted anti Trumpers should read.
It really says it all.

I find the sort of quote below amusing - also sad - but fundamentally amusing. But what does one expect these days but to compare something serious to Jack Nicholson. But heady words for sure. I also know this sort of thing gets lots of hurrahs from the Trump acolytes. So let's look at it.

"The country needs a revolution to stop the collapse into tyranny, and it would be far better to have someone from the inside take a wrecking ball to the fascist state the Uniparty has built than from the outside. The first will result in lots of hurt feelings and lighter pocketbooks on the part of thousands of functionaries while the second will turn the country into a war zone. I’d prefer lots of unemployed apparatchiks to American cities looking like Beirut."

Apparently Trump will now be the insider in slightly rusty armor on the off-white horse who will ride into Washington and fix everything. Bit of a flip but whatever. Politicians are flexible. He will lead a "revolution." Well unless he wants to destroy the republic - and I admit there are serious people who would say the jury is still out on that - probably not.

Take a "wrecking ball to the fascist state and the uniparty." So, help me with how that actually happens. I fully understand Trump world hates moderates and any republican who disagrees with them as much as they do democrats. But, if they are elected, they were elected by their constituents - in districts or statewide. Lindsay Graham was practically booed off the stage by the Trump loyalists when he actually was trying to be supportive. I'll let everyone in on a little secret, he will be handily reelected next time. And if Trump can't rally his own party, moderates as well as the Freedom Caucus, then he gets nothing done legislatively - absolutely nothing - assuming we hold the House and regain the senate. In my opinion, those are huge assumptions with Trump leading the ticket.

For instance, Trump is currently busy claiming credit for the Supreme Court decisions handed down over the last few days. From my seat, the man who made that happen was Mitch McConnell. Indeed other than filling the presidential responsibility of naming the nominee, I can't think of anything Trump contributed to their approval. No matter how much "the Turtle" infuriates the Trump cult, he is the ranking member of the senate and is going nowhere if Trump somehow carries the election.

So if it takes the whole party to get anything done, and if Vince the angry blogger really doesn't mean Trump should dissolve Congress and rule as a dictator as a way of initiating his "revolution," then perhaps he doesn't mean the uniparty after all. Maybe he is actually talking about the bureaucracy and all those democrat voters in Northern Virginia.

Ok, what does Trump do? Well, he can nominate competent department and agency heads who can begin the slow tedious work of trimming budgets and pruning org charts. Except for State, he didn't show much aptitude for that the first time around. But let's assume he suddenly has learned to pick competent people who aren't simply yes men. This won't be revolutionary work, but the hard business of budgets and organization management - much of which will require the approval of that pesky House and Senate again.

I simply find these grenade throwers like Vince Conyer tiresome. All they do is raise temperatures, create unreasonable expectations, and flee the kitchen to count their clicks.

Last edited:
Cutting through the rhetoric my conclusion is that the country cannot continue on the budgetary track that it is on. Well meaning decisions were made and policies implemented. the results are unsustainable. As such either the US can change those policies from within or at some point the US will not be the one in charge of making the decisions. The office holder(s) really should study a little history along with the DEI to see what the bottom of the cliff looks like.

What I don’t understand is why Trump‘s most ardent and loyal supporters believe he’s the guy to prevail against the “swamp.” He had a 4-year audition and the “swamp” cleaned his clock! Obamacare is still the law of the land. No meaningful progress on a border fence. A government response to COVID that differed from the CCPs only by degree, not structure. All the while, his opponents kept him on the ropes with a combination of the craziest conspiracy theories in history. The guy was a failure on most everything EXCEPT his SC nominees….and to @Red Leg s point, McConnell had as much to do with those as Donald did.

What I don’t understand is why Trump‘s most ardent and loyal supporters believe he’s the guy to prevail against the “swamp.” He had a 4-year audition and the “swamp” cleaned his clock! Obamacare is still the law of the land. No meaningful progress on a border fence. A government response to COVID that differed from the CCPs only by degree, not structure. All the while, his opponents kept him on the ropes with a combination of the craziest conspiracy theories in history. The guy was a failure on most everything EXCEPT his SC nominees….and to @Red Leg s point, McConnell had as much to do with those as Donald did.
Because he didnt actually have a 4 year audition, he spent all of it defending himself as you say against the crazy stuff. He did get some wall built but first had to fight the courts as others threw roadblocks up at every turn.
COVID was a new thing, nobody knew what to do with it, they did the best they could figure out to do and some of it was just wrong.
And thank your lucky stars we got the judges we did, sure the Turtle helped get them thru, but Trump nominated them!

Aside from all of that, who do you think would do a better job this time around and somehow magically all the tards are just going to fall in line and let him do his job?? Hmmmmmmm????

"Aside from all of that, who do you think would do a better job this time around and somehow magically all the tards are just going to fall in line and let him do his job?? Hmmmmmmm????"

Someone new (DeSantis?), who won't make enemies of everyone on both sides, every time there is a dissenting opinion? All of the 'tards' are not going to fall in line no matter who the nominee is, no more than Republicans would for Biden or whomever is selected on the Dems side. But I do believe a more reasoned/less combative approach will reach more who might be moderate on the other side - without alienating our own side along the way.

As Kristi Noem said a couple of days ago - That person might not even be in the race yet.

Because he didnt actually have a 4 year audition, he spent all of it defending himself as you say against the crazy stuff. He did get some wall built but first had to fight the courts as others threw roadblocks up at every turn.
COVID was a new thing, nobody knew what to do with it, they did the best they could figure out to do and some of it was just wrong.
And thank your lucky stars we got the judges we did, sure the Turtle helped get them thru, but Trump nominated them!

Aside from all of that, who do you think would do a better job this time around and somehow magically all the tards are just going to fall in line and let him do his job?? Hmmmmmmm????

“Magically the tards…..”? Yeah, that’s not going to happen. The only solution is to work the system to gradually change the status quo. No magic bullets. No easy solutions. Knowing that the leftists will resist every step of the way. But it CAN be done. Not that long ago, Florida was a blue state. Its now deep red with no sign of that changing anytime soon. Leadership matters.

I would be fine with DeSantis, if he can get some traction. Problem is, outside of Florida he seems either little known or liked.

Calling Trump a businessman or a leader is like calling Fauci a doctor. While it may be technically true on paper, there's not a whole lot of real world benefit. From failed golf courses and hotel projects, to a pretty impotent presidency, the guy has never fully delivered on anything in literally his entire career. And now you have rampant inflation from him printing 40% more dollars, not to mention the almost certain election loss of 2024 if he stays in the race. But sure, let's go ahead and give him the nomination again...

Calling Trump a businessman or a leader is like calling Fauci a doctor. While it may be technically true on paper, there's not a whole lot of real world benefit. From failed golf courses and hotel projects, to a pretty impotent presidency, the guy has never fully delivered on anything in literally his entire career. And now you have rampant inflation from him printing 40% more dollars, not to mention the almost certain election loss of 2024 if he stays in the race. But sure, let's go ahead and give him the nomination again...
Well then just keep voting for Biden. Inflation was up to near 10 percent on his watch and is now down to I believe around 4 percent so if that is what is important to you, then vote for Joe again.
Love how Trump gets blamed for Joes failures after over 2 years of Bidnenomics.

Watching too much CNN these days?

I'm afraid that I agree with cash_tx and Red Leg above.

Trump may have some good policy proposals. Better than Biden at the very least. But that simply does not matter if he has no ability to implement them. If he can't, they're just words.

For those words to matter, for them to become actual policy, to enact real change, Trump needs support. Support from his party, support from the Senate, from the House, support from his presidential appointments and supreme court picks, heck, maybe even a little bit of engagement across the aisle. That's a simple fact.

Any Presidents' authority comes primarily from soft influence over the wider political system, the checks and balances of the 3 branches that must be navigated. That's the whole point of the US political system and getting people to align with you and support your policy goals is literally the Presidential job description. The President is not a power unto himself, no leader is, and this is a relatively large party democracy which makes that even more true.

That by necessity means the use of carrot and stick. Negotiation, persuasion and compromise with just a tiny smattering of direct executive power. I know those are dirty words for many of Trump's base, but that's the facts of the position. That's what you're there for, those are the tools you have at your disposal. If you can only implement policy through executive order, you've failed at your one job, no matter what your policies were, and you will achieve very little.

As we all know, this is a tall order for Trump. Many in the Republican party and in wider government don't like him. That's true. But then that's hardly new. Roughly half of the people you need to work with in any administration are from the other party, a lot of the administrative branches are always filled with people appointed under previous administrations and who may have no real alignment with your goals. You get to appoint a couple department heads and maybe some judges, but even they are their own people with their own goals and their own ideas which inevitably will differ from your own. The facts of life.

Even when 'your' party holds the house and the senate, parties aren't monolithic. They're made up of people. All with their own thoughts, their own opinions and their own perspectives, loosely tied together into 'left' and 'right' by a couple of pieces of common ideology and a letter after their name. That's true of both the Ds and the Rs. As a result, no leader will ever have 100% alignment within their own party, let alone within the entire government. In this instance Trump has the same problem that Ocasio-Cortez would have if she ended up as President on a D ticket. If you're on the fringes of your party in terms of policy and personal reputation, you'll struggle. What a surprise.

But your job, your only job as President, is to work with these disparate people in the house and the senate to make just enough of them agree with your vision, just enough of the time, in order to execute your policy. To find common ground, make an acceptable compromise, find leverage, or offer a quid pro quo with enough people to get stuff passed into law. To make them like you, or at least respect you enough to be willing to work with you and support your goals.

You could point out that last time he had a bad hand in that regard. Honestly, I'd agree with you. Lots of resistance and animosity there right from the get go. But realistically it's as good a hand as he'll ever have. He's not going to get a better one if he carries 2024, not having spent most of his last term and the time since making more enemies, generating more scandal. So the point is moot.

In fact, during his last term he enjoyed the privilege of an R house and an R senate for several years. They might not have been universally aligned with Trump, not even close, but they certainly weren't fans of the D's either and were ideologically aligned at least somewhat with many of the policies that Trump was pushing. Immigration control, free enterprise, low taxes, strong foreign policy, COVID response, etc. I doubt that'll be the case at any point in his next term (if he gets one) so if anything he'll be even more hamstrung.

Either way, all he had to do was do his job and work with these people. Act like a mature adult, accept that some compromise is always inevitable in any negotiation and that achieving some of what you want is better than not getting alignment and achieving nothing. The sort of skills that most people develop long before their teens. Yet skills that Trump demonstrably either doesn't have, or doesn't know how to utilize. Even a few of his own departmental picks quickly stopped supporting him or gave him poor advice. That's his fault. His failure. Harsh, maybe. But that was the job he was elected to do. To deliver his campaign promises. To deliver policy. Not to fail and then complain about how hard done by he was, how he was the victim.

It just astonishes me that anyone can look at what Trump did and didn't do the first time around, and yet still think that he's a good choice. Once again, it's not necessarily his policies that I object to. It's his ability to implement them.

Looking forwards, he probably isn't electable based on his loss to Biden last round (as incumbent with all the advantages that offers no less). But even if he does get elected, he'll once again have to try and navigate all the same problems with his lack of support that he so impressively cocked up in his last term. Considering the almost guaranteed loss of the House and possibly Senate that his election would provide he'd be trying to do that with an even weaker hand this time around.

So that's my thoughts. I guess it'd be one thing if Trump showed even the slightest suggestion that he'd learned from his mistakes in his last term and was making moves to address them, but honestly, I don't think he even realizes that he's made mistakes in the first place. Lots of throwing blame around sure, lots of playing the victim card, but not a lot of evidence for self awareness or any humility whatsoever, at least in my opinion.

Overall, nothing he's done since 2020 fills me with the impression that he's more capable of drawing wide ranging support across the electorate, in the House or in the Senate now than he was three years ago, and if anything he's probably even worse off now than he was in 2020. Certainly no clear, actionable, plan has been communicated to my knowledge as to how he'd actually solve that problem, and considering how much Trump likes to post all over social media on every other topic, I suspect that's because he simply hasn't got one.

On that basis why would I expect that him doing all the same things will yield different results in 2024? Isn't that the definition of insanity?

Now I don't know if DeSantis can do any better. He's an unknown quantity in that role, so I can't be sure. But in every respect I'd rather take a chance on a relative unknown with some decent experience in other roles than another chance on a guy with a history of failure in this one. He has a whole lot less baggage to fight through as well, so at least he's not starting from a position of animosity, scandal and weakness before his ass even touches an oval office chair. So he gets my pick (well, he would, but I don't get a vote!)

I should also point out to @sestoppelman and a few others on this thread that not wanting Trump is not the same as wanting Biden. I see that a lot on this topic and it's both a false equivalency and frequently used as a straw man. You can quite easily be thoroughly unhappy with Biden and dislike Trump. Disliking Trump doesn't equal Democrat. The two are not correlated and in fact, you may not like Trump because you want Biden gone and don't think that Trump is the best vehicle to achieve that.

Nice book....

They say that humans evolve over time, grow an extra finger and that sort of thing. Well the Russia Ukraine conflict seems to indicate that they are acquiring smaller brains and smaller balls too. Clearly this thing is going nowhere, the Ukrainians have been denied the means for a breakthrough and the Russians are holding their own. Everyone, even the Russians agree that it must end in a negotiated agreement, but the slogging continues. What am I missing? Is the strategic genius aiming at wearing both down and reducing the world’s population a teeny bit? Testing new weapons? War is peace? The only sense to be made of this from the Western point of view is teaching Russia a lesson, but beware Ukraine doesn’t lose heart while you toy with them.

There might be more progress than would appear to be the case

Positions are being identified; comms nodes mapped; supply lines disrupted and munitions destroyed

There are reports of Russian soldiers sneaking away when they can

Arguably the Ukrainian forces are ‘shaping the battlefield’ - at least this is what is being claimed

That said, I too am not sure whether Ukraine has the military capability to recover all its lands

As for negotiated settlement

Hard to imagine anything meaningful with the current leadership- most of whom display psychopathic traits

I am reminded that they have been responsible, in the past, for a nuclear and chemical attack in London

Then laughed at the international response

They say that humans evolve over time, grow an extra finger and that sort of thing. Well the Russia Ukraine conflict seems to indicate that they are acquiring smaller brains and smaller balls too. Clearly this thing is going nowhere, the Ukrainians have been denied the means for a breakthrough and the Russians are holding their own. Everyone, even the Russians agree that it must end in a negotiated agreement, but the slogging continues. What am I missing? Is the strategic genius aiming at wearing both down and reducing the world’s population a teeny bit? Testing new weapons? War is peace? The only sense to be made of this from the Western point of view is teaching Russia a lesson, but beware Ukraine doesn’t lose heart while you toy with them.

The Ukrainian leadership has only just recently repeated that there will be no negotiations until Russia leaves all their territory, including crimea....and from what I have read and seen they ain't losing their heart in the slightest....just a shame that some of the countries providing military equipment fkd around , and only decided to supply what was needed after it was needed and not months before....the f16s would be probably in action now as the pilots would have had pushing a year of training...the armour would have been in place many months ago if not for the thumb sucking by certain countries politicians..etc etc etc...too much worrying about winding putin up ....:E Nail Biter::E Doh:

I also noticed him doing this when the Austrian national anthem was being played prior to the grand prix....and actually wondered if it would be noticed...Good to see it was....what a muppet

IMG-20230703-WA0002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RositaDona

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?