R.M.C.

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
U.S. , Canada, and RSA
Anyone know where I could find a piece of middle foam for a pelican storm im3410? I really just want the foam that you cut to fit the rifle in, the regular egg carton foam is fine. All I've found online is the whole set for $90-$110. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The foam would be 54" long, 9 3/4" wide, and 1 3/4 " thick.

Amazon sells about anything, but I would also assume it’s counterfeit and/or inferior. Maybe call/email Pelican directly to inquire.

I read a suggestion another AH member made and that was to buy an inexpensive memory foam mattress topper and use it for the outer foam layers (top and bottom layer). The 3 pieces of foam that come with a Pelican rifle case can then be used to custom cut for the middle layer for a single or double rifle set up.

I have 3 different cut-outs for various rifle combo's and have bought the foam replacements on Ebay.

try these guys, I got a piece for a Pelican case from a couple of years ago, good stuff and good folks to work with.
Mark

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 8.04.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 8.04.07 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 57
I emailed pelican a while ago but haven't heard back. They only list the whole set for $109 . Thanks for all the input!

I read a suggestion another AH member made and that was to buy an inexpensive memory foam mattress topper and use it for the outer foam layers (top and bottom layer). The 3 pieces of foam that come with a Pelican rifle case can then be used to custom cut for the middle layer for a single or double rifle set up.
That's a good idea.

I have used Carolina foam in the past and it is pretty good. I don't think it is quite as dense as the original pelican foam, but my guns have made it to Texas and back to Wyoming several times with no issues. I have also used foam from Cobra foam inserts in a shotgun case and find it fine as well.

Currently my foam is cut for a 375, 44 revolver, knife, cleaning items, and 100 round plastic ammo box.

I too would like replacement foam so I can cut to fit 2 rifles with scopes, cleaning kit, and knife.

I keep the cut out rifle foam to replace it when I to switch between traveling with 30-06 and 375.

I also replaced the bottom foam with 3 thinner layers and it enabled me to cut the middle layer of that and put my taken apart shooting sticks, 2 slings, and a set of tall bipods. I will take some pictures tomorrow, but currently that case is packed up for a trip to the shooting range with my nephew tomorrow

Joann Fabrics usually has a medium density green colored foam in stock at their stores. It’s a bit thicker but works well. I’ve also ordered replacement three piece set from Amazon.

Take a look at Cobra Foam Inserts. They custom cut foam inserts to fit your guns. They also have the foam inserts you’re looking for.

High density foam in many sizes = EBAY

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 8.04.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 8.04.45 AM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 55
In general there are 3 types of foam used for this.

1. PE Foam (Polyethylene Foam) - IMO the best and most durable foam for holding firearms. It's of a closed cell design and highly resistant to chemicals and moisture. Most companies who do custom foam cases use this type for these reasons.

2. Ester-Foam (Polyurethane Foam) - This is what normally comes in a Pelican case, same as their "pluck-n-pull" foam. It has smaller cells than the the PE Foam and is of an open cell design. I find this important in the event you will be in a wet environment, it will hold moisture. Moisture and firearms are not a good combination when there are better options available.

3. EVA foam (Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate Copolymer Foam) - This is more of a padding, not normally used for firearms. Typically it's what is used for floor mats in a gym or making padding for a bicycle seat. It is a closed cell design, so it will resist water absorption.

I would highly recommend using PE Foam and it can be found on Amazon. I found this in about 10 seconds of searching for only $65. It can be cut down to your specifications easily. YouTube videos abound on how to do this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015JRXH1...Ae4a&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_td_asin_0_img&th=1

There are also custom foam builders out there like My Case Builder and GunFoam.com for a real professional look and color options as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelBen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com