R.M.C.

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
U.S. , Canada, and RSA
Anyone know where I could find a piece of middle foam for a pelican storm im3410? I really just want the foam that you cut to fit the rifle in, the regular egg carton foam is fine. All I've found online is the whole set for $90-$110. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The foam would be 54" long, 9 3/4" wide, and 1 3/4 " thick.

Amazon sells about anything, but I would also assume it’s counterfeit and/or inferior. Maybe call/email Pelican directly to inquire.

I read a suggestion another AH member made and that was to buy an inexpensive memory foam mattress topper and use it for the outer foam layers (top and bottom layer). The 3 pieces of foam that come with a Pelican rifle case can then be used to custom cut for the middle layer for a single or double rifle set up.

I have 3 different cut-outs for various rifle combo's and have bought the foam replacements on Ebay.

try these guys, I got a piece for a Pelican case from a couple of years ago, good stuff and good folks to work with.
Mark

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 8.04.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 8.04.07 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 59
I emailed pelican a while ago but haven't heard back. They only list the whole set for $109 . Thanks for all the input!

I read a suggestion another AH member made and that was to buy an inexpensive memory foam mattress topper and use it for the outer foam layers (top and bottom layer). The 3 pieces of foam that come with a Pelican rifle case can then be used to custom cut for the middle layer for a single or double rifle set up.
That's a good idea.

I have used Carolina foam in the past and it is pretty good. I don't think it is quite as dense as the original pelican foam, but my guns have made it to Texas and back to Wyoming several times with no issues. I have also used foam from Cobra foam inserts in a shotgun case and find it fine as well.

Currently my foam is cut for a 375, 44 revolver, knife, cleaning items, and 100 round plastic ammo box.

I too would like replacement foam so I can cut to fit 2 rifles with scopes, cleaning kit, and knife.

I keep the cut out rifle foam to replace it when I to switch between traveling with 30-06 and 375.

I also replaced the bottom foam with 3 thinner layers and it enabled me to cut the middle layer of that and put my taken apart shooting sticks, 2 slings, and a set of tall bipods. I will take some pictures tomorrow, but currently that case is packed up for a trip to the shooting range with my nephew tomorrow

Joann Fabrics usually has a medium density green colored foam in stock at their stores. It’s a bit thicker but works well. I’ve also ordered replacement three piece set from Amazon.

Take a look at Cobra Foam Inserts. They custom cut foam inserts to fit your guns. They also have the foam inserts you’re looking for.

High density foam in many sizes = EBAY

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 8.04.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 8.04.45 AM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 55
In general there are 3 types of foam used for this.

1. PE Foam (Polyethylene Foam) - IMO the best and most durable foam for holding firearms. It's of a closed cell design and highly resistant to chemicals and moisture. Most companies who do custom foam cases use this type for these reasons.

2. Ester-Foam (Polyurethane Foam) - This is what normally comes in a Pelican case, same as their "pluck-n-pull" foam. It has smaller cells than the the PE Foam and is of an open cell design. I find this important in the event you will be in a wet environment, it will hold moisture. Moisture and firearms are not a good combination when there are better options available.

3. EVA foam (Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate Copolymer Foam) - This is more of a padding, not normally used for firearms. Typically it's what is used for floor mats in a gym or making padding for a bicycle seat. It is a closed cell design, so it will resist water absorption.

I would highly recommend using PE Foam and it can be found on Amazon. I found this in about 10 seconds of searching for only $65. It can be cut down to your specifications easily. YouTube videos abound on how to do this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015JRXH1...Ae4a&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_td_asin_0_img&th=1

There are also custom foam builders out there like My Case Builder and GunFoam.com for a real professional look and color options as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hunt4fun

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?