Paperwork to Import Rifles into South Africa

I am somewhat different. Never used any permit company for 5 safaris and had O issues. Being Canadian our forms are different for export but really same, I applied for export paperwork from Canadian Gov months before hunt, (I had weapons so had serial numbers) in Canada scopes, extra mags must also be on forms. Member in Ottawa is awesome, upon return CBS agent signs form and we have 30 days to send back to Ottawa.

As for Africa, in all my safaris I have never had any issue with SAPS. Print and complete paperwork 520 at home before departure, there are directions for every block that a monkey could follow (I did), no rocket science involved, then sign when in SAPS office in front of Police with a black pen. Then sit down and wait, anyone without patience may be in trouble in Africa as NOTHING is fast. Permit included. When done someone will call and you get a permit.

On two separate trips unforeseen circumstances (SAA strike in 05 and Covid Positives 2021) have kept me in SA longer than original approved permits (extra month this summer). Went to SAPS told them issue and they stored weapons for free, proper receipt of weapons issued and all is very professional. Cost, two black pens.

At a quoted $300 Cnd for permit company I am glad I have done myself, amount adds up over a few safaris, gave me extra trophy fee dollars. I like completing as much of Safari as I can, adds to the experience but that's just me.

MB

@MarkB
Using two black pens up is a lot of paperwork.
:)
Its amazing how a couple black pens gets your paperwork quicker. I always have 6 in carryon for SAPs "gifts".

MB

I am somewhat different. Never used any permit company for 5 safaris and had O issues. Being Canadian our forms are different for export but really same, I applied for export paperwork from Canadian Gov months before hunt, (I had weapons so had serial numbers) in Canada scopes, extra mags must also be on forms. Member in Ottawa is awesome, upon return CBS agent signs form and we have 30 days to send back to Ottawa.

As for Africa, in all my safaris I have never had any issue with SAPS. Print and complete paperwork 520 at home before departure, there are directions for every block that a monkey could follow (I did), no rocket science involved, then sign when in SAPS office in front of Police with a black pen. Then sit down and wait, anyone without patience may be in trouble in Africa as NOTHING is fast. Permit included. When done someone will call and you get a permit.

On two separate trips unforeseen circumstances (SAA strike in 05 and Covid Positives 2021) have kept me in SA longer than original approved permits (extra month this summer). Went to SAPS told them issue and they stored weapons for free, proper receipt of weapons issued and all is very professional. Cost, two black pens.

At a quoted $300 Cnd for permit company I am glad I have done myself, amount adds up over a few safaris, gave me extra trophy fee dollars. I like completing as much of Safari as I can, adds to the experience but that's just me.

MB
You have the patience of Job.

If I didn't have to fly 30-plus hours from Alaska and arrive at nearly midnight I think I'd be up to the task. In my case the permit processor and its fee assured any mistakes were corrected well before arrival when I may not be at my best to correct things.

The honest cheaper solution is rifle rental. Done it for plains game, will do it again next time.

You have the patience of Job.

If I didn't have to fly 30-plus hours from Alaska and arrive at nearly midnight I think I'd be up to the task. In my case the permit processor and its fee assured any mistakes were corrected well before arrival when I may not be at my best to correct things.

The honest cheaper solution is rifle rental. Done it for plains game, will do it again next time.
Correct you are on all points. Add in all the airline thief charges to transport a firearm, time between connections needed, and the headache and renting is a viable option.

One must remember that any permit company who completes your application gets 100% of that info from the firearm owner. They just fill in the numbers/names in the correct spots. I only see mistakes coming from owner or them? The reason I review/check all docs, dates, numbers dozens of times before depart date.

No answer is correct, every one has reasons for the option they take. I just wanted to point out that the complete yourself option is not that hard and doable for some.

MB

After 2 cases were missing and had not showed up in SAPS room in 2019 and arriving at 04;00 am this year and no one in SAPS. I was sure glad I had used Henry with Riflepermits for each trip. His people were on it and new who to call and what to do. I would not want to go thru that myself. That’s what they are for when things don’t show up.

After 2 cases were missing and had not showed up in SAPS room in 2019 and arriving at 04;00 am this year and no one in SAPS. I was sure glad I had used Henry with Riflepermits for each trip. His people were on it and new who to call and what to do. I would not want to go thru that myself. That’s what they are for when things don’t show up.
All our (3 pers) luggage, guns and ammo never made it to Joberg this last July. Seams Ethiopian left it in Addis. I did not think permit companies looked after luggage especially from non hunters even in same party? African Sky was amazing, had the "man" cant remember his name? He was at airport, knew every baggage handler in there I think and had all our bags in our rooms, guns and ammo next day and last bag at 0600 am on day 2. Saved us as outfitter picked us up at noon.

MB

My last three safaris, I chose to travel as a tourist and use camp guns. The previous four I just filled the SAPS form, had zero issues and neither paid nor was asked for any bribe.

I spend a lot of time with rifles, loads, fishing tackle, lines, lures, etc.

Using my own equipment is important to me.

A good concierge, who know who and how to "bribe" is worth every penny to me.

On my last trip, the concierge, was able to get a better deal that the written government rates for rifles and ammo!

All our (3 pers) luggage, guns and ammo never made it to Joberg this last July. Seams Ethiopian left it in Addis. I did not think permit companies looked after luggage especially from non hunters even in same party? African Sky was amazing, had the "man" cant remember his name? He was at airport, knew every baggage handler in there I think and had all our bags in our rooms, guns and ammo next day and last bag at 0600 am on day 2. Saved us as outfitter picked us up at noon.

MB

Gilbert was his name!!!! Great guy

Gilbert was his name!!!! Great guy
Correct you are, Gilbert is the man for finding what is lost. Gave him a healthy tip as he went way above and beyond to ensure our luggage, ammo and guns were found and ready for hunt.

Thanks @Edster, his name deserves posting.

MB

When it comes down to it when you are in a foreign country it is well worth the money to hire a service especially if you need to make a connecting flight.

I paid for the service on my first trip and I'll pay for it on my upcoming hunt in 2022

I was told you “have” to get another one the day of departure, they are registering that they left the country on that day.
I just returned from a trip. This wasn’t the case. The only thing new I saw at customs since March 2020 is they wanted to verify in their system the firearm wasn’t stolen.

I'm heading over in July 2022 and am using Gracy travel for the meet and greet. I'm gonna have them help me check my rifle in on the way home too. The less I have to worry about the better. Good luck on your hunt!!!!

You won't be disappointed. Bruce is the man and will get you through in minutes. I handed them my 4457, pulled the guns out and was handed my permit. Literally maybe 4 minutes. Alot easier than the guys having to fill out paperwork I saw in that busy little room.

You won't be disappointed. Bruce is the man and will get you through in minutes. I handed them my 4457, pulled the guns out and was handed my permit. Literally maybe 4 minutes. Alot easier than the guys having to fill out paperwork I saw in that busy little room.
Agreed, only dumb fools wait till their at SAPS to fill out paperwork. Why would anyone not have it fully completed to the point of signing in black ink in front of SAPS officer is beyond me. Taking weapons on an international trip should not be a last minute decision? At least in Canada its impossible, Gov needs month for export permits. Canadians must be approved to legally take firearms out of country.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eve947967

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]