P14/p17 action

francois_458

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique
Good day members. Looking for some insight and info on the inner workings of the p14/17 actions (I don't know much about them)

For context I own a 500 a-sqaure built by the A-sqaure company. The rifle is built on a p14 action I believe. It works and functions perfectly, but has one annoying feature. The bolt seems to have an internal spring of sorts that pushes the bolt back when opened. This bothers me because of how I carry my rifle. When walking I have one round in the chamber and the bolt open, on the first notch in most rifles. This clearly shows to others around that the rifle is safe and can't be fired in that condition. With this rifle though, the bolt easily slips up to the open position and is then forced backwards by the spring and the round could then be ejected.

So my question is: is there any way to remove that spring and still have the rifle work?

Thanks in advance

I know what you mean because I have a custom rifle that is built with a M1917 Enfield action. A handling as you describe is with such bolt actions not possible without problems.

As a side note, the procedure with a cartridge in the chamber and a half-open bolt action is controversially discussed in terms of safety. Forbidden in our countries anyway.

This is "cock on closing" preferred by British War Dept on the belief it made a bolt action quicker to cycle. I have shot both cock on open and close. In my opinion it's BS. Some models of Mauser rifles also cocked on closing and kits are available to modify them to cock on open. Not sure but I believe kits are also available for Enfield.

The safety on the Model 17/P14 Enfield rifle is quite robust. I would not hesitate to stalk with a round in the chamber. Both my 98 Mauser 404 Jeffery and Springfield 03A3 are cock on opening and I would not carry them with bolt unlocked and round in chamber. They would undoubtedly drop open in short order. In fact, I experienced this more than once with the Springfield when it had a defective 2-position wing scope relief safety. If my jacket pocket caught the bolt handle when slung on left shoulder, it could inadvertently disengage the safety and even open the bolt. Doesn't take much. Both actions are slick.

This is "cock on closing" preferred by British War Dept
Absoutely correct, I have both actions and have installed a Numrich Arms kit that converts them to cock on opening.
The stricker has a more positive impact in the original cock on closing than it does with the Numrich cock on opening kit. Its up to you, get the Numrich kit and have the function you are comfortable with or stay original and have 100% confidence when you pull the trigger it goes bang!!!!

Just to be clearer in my explanation - in the original condition (cock on closing) the main spring is forcing the bolt back and ejecting the cartridge when the locking lugs disengage.
The Numrich kit converts the P14/M17 to cock on opening the same as a Mauser 98. But the stricker fall is shorter and the preload on the stricker spring is less, so the overall stricker force (this is the force the firing pin hits the primer) is lower than the origional cock on closing condition.
If you are in the field and have something charging you at full steam, do you want ease of function or to be sure it goes bang?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiriamWren

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?