One caliber away from contentment... who else?

I've got another temptation I was about to post that might get someone a rifle they didn't intend to buy. Lifetime supply of 416 Taylor brass. Roughly 32 percent off the normal price for 250 ct quantities.

@RAVEN ROCK PRECISION
Just what @CoElkHunter needs.
Bob

I've got another temptation I was about to post that might get someone a rifle they didn't intend to buy. Lifetime supply of 416 Taylor brass. Roughly 32 percent off the normal price for 250 ct quantities.

Fantastic price! I have some Taylor Norma and Jamison cases but this is a great deal.

I just put a bid on a pretty mint BDL in 7mm Rem Mag. My BDL in 270 i hunted with for 40 years was my favorite rifle but I gave it to my youngest son. He wanted it badly and got his first elk with it so all good. I bought a used Mark V in 270 Weatherby, tried but couldn't warm to it. So if I win it, this will be my new elk rifle. If not I'll use the 500 Jeffery :)

@RAVEN ROCK PRECISION
Just what @CoElkHunter needs.
Bob
Bob,
The Taylor is probably the most economical of the .416s to load as one can use many/most of the .458WM, .338WM, .300WM case family to form the Taylor case. Any rifles chambered in those cartridges could easily be chambered in .416 Taylor with just a new barrel OR perhaps a rebore and rechamber of the existing barrel. The case dimensions are all the same so no messing around with bolt faces, rails, magazine boxes or followers, etc. Raven Rocks description of the Taylor states it will push a 340gr Woodleigh PPSN with a BC of .330 at 2500fps+. Almost as good as your .35 WHELEN? LOL
CEH

I just put a bid on a pretty mint BDL in 7mm Rem Mag. My BDL in 270 i hunted with for 40 years was my favorite rifle but I gave it to my youngest son. He wanted it badly and got his first elk with it so all good. I bought a used Mark V in 270 Weatherby, tried but couldn't warm to it. So if I win it, this will be my new elk rifle. If not I'll use the 500 Jeffery :)

Can’t go wrong with an older 700 BDL in 7mm mag, or any other caliber for that matter. I hope you get it.

Bob,
The Taylor is probably the most economical of the .416s to load as one can use many/most of the .458WM, .338WM, .300WM case family to form the Taylor case. Any rifles chambered in those cartridges could easily be chambered in .416 Taylor with just a new barrel OR perhaps a rebore and rechamber of the existing barrel. The case dimensions are all the same so no messing around with bolt faces, rails, magazine boxes or followers, etc. Raven Rocks description of the Taylor states it will push a 340gr Woodleigh PPSN with a BC of .330 at 2500fps+. Almost as good as your .35 WHELEN? LOL
CEH
@CoElkHunter
Yeah but what's the sd of that 340 gn.
The 310 35 cal Woodleigh is bc .458 and an sd of .346.
You need a 410gn to almost match the sd of the Whelen but then you are putting a bucket more hurt on game with that big 410gn than the Whelen can manage. A 40 cal hole and around 800fpe makes a BIG difference mate. So the 40 trumps the 35 in the big hurt game
Bob

I feel a 300H&H calling to me ! However I think I will have to get one built.
Winchester Model 70 or a Zastava left hand action.
Short term a 243 is on the cards. I went out for a deer today. Brought the 7x57. No joy. At dusk I moved somewhere else and got the 22/250 out for a fox. Success ! I would be more comfortable just taking 1 rifle with me.

View attachment 565290
I’ve got a 300 H&H on the way to me from UK . Bought via Holts auctions . Taking an eternity to arrive . I keep telling myself it is the last but ….

He's in OZ. Good luck finding ANY obscure brass there. Or really even here in the US for the most part.
I’m in OZ and have no problems getting brass for 600, 500 , 505, 425, 404 , 416, 450/400, 450 Rigby , 318 the list goes on . I reload . Woodleigh also back in operation so bullet situation will also be rectified . I actually think OZ reloaded have great access to local bullet , brass and powder .

I am very near contentment, for now, having just bought my 5th Ruger No1, this one in 300H&H, to slot nicely between 275 Rigby and 375H&H.
5 No1s in 223 and 243 to complement the 3 bigger ones.
Cheers,
Mal the Kiwi.
@Kiwifire111
Mal rebarrel the 243 to 257 Bob or 25-06 please. Anything but 243
Bob

I would like to trade a handful of rifles and cash for a Blaser S2 in a DG caliber

I am very near contentment, for now, having just bought my 5th Ruger No1, this one in 300H&H, to slot nicely between 275 Rigby and 375H&H.
Cheers,
Mal the Kiwi.

And what a beautiful looking rifle it is too! :love:
Russ

Cheers,
Mal the Kiwi.

Congrats Mal - look forward to comparing them at WBB24 :)

Now I’m wondering what tintin's AHN name is.........
gumpy

p.s. If all goes well I’ll be there with 5 new rifles this time......unless something else goes to shit....

I would like to trade a handful of rifles and cash for a Blaser S2 in a DG caliber
Nooooooo

iVChgYd.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Colorado the S2 I shot.

That bag shows the exact holes it made :->)))

I’m happy that nobody likes them. Now hopefully I’ll find one dressed the way I like, and in the appropriate caliber.

I know lots of people love them. Just joking and I appreciate you understanding that :)

I never thought I'd find contentment in this caliber: tree-oh-hate. Well I didn't, but I did find any interesting piece in this chambering.
Hold on to your seats as we go back in time!
What about an SMLE in .308 from our friends at the Ishapore Arsenal? Mine came to me with a busted stock from a bit too much enthusiasm in drill and parts missing on the rear sight. I went shopping and found an Australian Long Pattern stock and fitted it with a flat steel butt plate and some stainless screws. For the sight I selected a click adjustable rear. Then I tore it apart and cleaned grit and grime from hither and yon. I found some British bloke in a video to show me how to clean up the trigger, reassembled and was off. It is right on top of the deer season here so I found some time to play with the rifle yesterday. It shows promise with a random handload that I had from my Encore pistol. Groups fired at fifty yards. The four shot group had windage dialed in after two shots. Anyway I think it's a fun rifle and worthy of use and carriage. I'm debating purchasing a sporter fore end for it. Don't fall out of your chair @Bob Nelson 35Whelen!

FB_IMG_1700138566250.jpg
IMG_20231116_072007923.jpg
IMG_20231116_071932392.jpg
IMG_20231114_083931_01.jpg
FB_IMG_1700138600367~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
francisgriffin2

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia