on a lighter note...

I once had a neighbor who decided to take out a large spider under the bench in his garage with some kind of aerosol can and a lighter. Very effective flame thrower. The ensuing fiasco with three fire extinguishers finally put out the flames in the garage...but he got the spider and only had to replace two sheets of plywood and throw out one cabinet.
Personally, my .410 would have been just as effective and less costly.
:LOL: :E Laugh: Oh my!
well my experience was not nearly as exciting or expensive. It did however include: a spider, can of aqua net extra hold hair spray, a match, and a girl very terrified of spiders named Gina. It was right before we were leaving for church. The spider died and I lived. But scrubbing that black off the floor, corner of the bathroom, and wall…in my church clothes without getting dirty or caught by my mother was a miracle!!

Last edited:
:E Laugh: Oh my!
well my experience was not nearly as exciting or expensive. It did however include: a spider, can of aqua net extra hold hair spray, a match, and a girl very terrified of spiders named Gina. It was right before we were leaving for church. The spider died and I lived. But scrubbing that black off the floor, corner of the bathroom, and wall in my church clothes without getting dirty or caught by my mother was a miracle!!
Had my youngest brother thought of that when he was younger he'd have burnt the house down. He hated spiders with a passion.

This for my home state but pretty sure most can substitute cities in theirs.

Santa_practicing.png

Ha, I've never heard of that one, I'll have to look for it.

Spiders.
The kids of my next younger brother had a pet tarantula. One day we were all gathered at my youngest brother's house and they brought the spider. In their fun they came to me where I was sitting on the couch and put it in my hand. Soon is started walking up my arm a bit at a time until it was sitting on my shoulder. Little brother got his SLR camera out to take a picture. When the flash went off the tarantula jumped off my shoulder onto the side of my neck. They reported my butt came off the couch a foot. They all laughed themselves sick and never bothered to remove their pet from my neck. I just knew any second, I would feel fangs in my neck.
It never bit me and they eventually did remove it. I am certain I lost 10 years off my life in those seconds of time. He never showed me the pix.

Love this jacket. Hopefully it’s also available in Realtree or Mossy Oak!View attachment 505790

I read once about a man showing up at a black tie event in a camouflaged tuxedo.

The man was asked, "Who do you think you are, Dick Cabela."

The man said "yes. " It was Dick Cabela.

Spiders.
The kids of my next younger brother had a pet tarantula. One day we were all gathered at my youngest brother's house and they brought the spider. In their fun they came to me where I was sitting on the couch and put it in my hand. Soon is started walking up my arm a bit at a time until it was sitting on my shoulder. Little brother got his SLR camera out to take a picture. When the flash went off the tarantula jumped off my shoulder onto the side of my neck. They reported my butt came off the couch a foot. They all laughed themselves sick and never bothered to remove their pet from my neck. I just knew any second, I would feel fangs in my neck.
It never bit me and they eventually did remove it. I am certain I lost 10 years off my life in those seconds of time. He never showed me the pix.
The moment the spider touched me, my heart would have stopped. My kids were not scared of spiders. They didn’t like them but they were the spider slayers in the house. In Oklahoma, we had tarantulas that would show up in the yard. There was never one. Always had to be 2. I got a LOT of shooting practice with my pistol when I lived there. I have often been held hostage in a room bc of a spider. Or held hostage in the house because a nasty spider was literally hanging out in the doorway of both the front and back doors. And they have their menacing postures or jump around all possessed looking ….they are straight from the bowels of hell!

Spiders.
Oh HAAAIIL No!!! My brothers would know to call 911 before attempting that on me. Police barrier ribbon does not make for nice holiday decoration, nor does blood spatter. They value their lives more than that. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Well, I'm no huge fan of spiders, but all you arachnophobes should have grown up in my house. With a dad who's a PhD entomologist.

Criminy, I still remember the taxonomic orders of most of the insects that we have in the south.

Well, I'm no huge fan of spiders, but all you arachnophobes should have grown up in my house. With a dad who's a PhD entomologist.

Criminy, I still remember the taxonomic orders of most of the insects that we have in the south.
:eek: I am SO sorry.

Honestly, I'm not so sure it's a "scared" thing. I think it's more like paralytically f'ing grossed out by them. :E Shrug: :E Embarrassed:

Last edited:
The moment the spider touched me, my heart would have stopped. My kids were not scared of spiders. They didn’t like them but they were the spider slayers in the house. In Oklahoma, we had tarantulas that would show up in the yard. There was never one. Always had to be 2. I got a LOT of shooting practice with my pistol when I lived there. I have often been held hostage in a room bc of a spider. Or held hostage in the house because a nasty spider was literally hanging out in the doorway of both the front and back doors. And they have their menacing postures or jump around all possessed looking ….they are straight from the bowels of hell!

I got very sick in Haiti years ago and just couldn’t put the net down on my bed. In the middle of the night I woke up with one of their giant (desert plate sized) tarantulas covering my face. I found the energy to put the net down after that.

I got very sick in Haiti years ago and just couldn’t put the net down on my bed. In the middle of the night I woke up with one of their giant (desert plate sized) tarantulas covering my face. I found the energy to put the net down after that.
yeah

no

Pretty sure I would just soil myself and die.

You (and everyone else) are going to think Im crazy... But Haiti is one of my favorite places on earth...

I started going there in the late 1990's somewhat regularly for work purposes.. was fairly involved in a few things for a while just before and after Aristide left in 2004... and continued to make trips for work reasons up until early 2010 (right after the big earthquake leveled much of the country)..

I could do without much of Port Au Prince.. but get out of the city, and go up the mountain to Berte or Petionville, and there are some wonderful restaurants, some very nice homes, and some incredible views to be taken in.. the north coast between Port de Piax and Cap Haitian is beautiful as well (wherever you don't see mounds of trash piled up that is... :) )...

Most people don't realize there was actually a Club Med in Haiti until 1987, and that there are still a handful of decent beach resorts in nice coastal areas today..

I found a taste for Haitian cuisine.. and still make a variety of Haitian dishes to this day... Pikliz is AWESOME! I put it on just about everything from burgers to fish to pork... its super good with eggs for breakfast... I've got my own twist on it.. rather than the traditional pikliz that uses regular green cabbage and scotch bonnet peppers, I typically use habaneros (easier to find in most grocery stores around here) and purple cabbage... it turns the dish a pretty wild, electric pink/purple color... but still tastes incredible...

I actually just made a fresh batch of purple pickliz this past weekend.. its been picking for about 5 days now.. so it should be ready to be served with tomorrows breakfast! :)

1671209613445.jpeg

the spiders there do indeed suck though... :D

You (and everyone else) are going to think Im crazy... But Haiti is one of my favorite places on earth...

I started going there in the late 1990's somewhat regularly for work purposes.. was fairly involved in a few things for a while just before and after Aristide left in 2004... and continued to make trips for work reasons up until early 2010 (right after the big earthquake leveled much of the country)..

I could do without much of Port Au Prince.. but get out of the city, and go up the mountain to Berte or Petionville, and there are some wonderful restaurants, some very nice homes, and some incredible views to be taken in.. the north coast between Port de Piax and Cap Haitian is beautiful as well (wherever you don't see mounds of trash piled up that is... :) )...

Most people don't realize there was actually a Club Med in Haiti until 1987, and that there are still a handful of decent beach resorts in nice coastal areas today..

I found a taste for Haitian cuisine.. and still make a variety of Haitian dishes to this day... Pikliz is AWESOME! I put it on just about everything from burgers to fish to pork... its super good with eggs for breakfast... I've got my own twist on it.. rather than the traditional pikliz that uses regular green cabbage and scotch bonnet peppers, I typically use habaneros (easier to find in most grocery stores around here) and purple cabbage... it turns the dish a pretty wild, electric pink/purple color... but still tastes incredible...

I actually just made a fresh batch of purple pickliz this past weekend.. its been picking for about 5 days now.. so it should be ready to be served with tomorrows breakfast! :)

View attachment 505867

the spiders there do indeed suck though... :D
So...Is that basically a spicy pickled cabbage thing? It looks good.

Btw...it doesn't mean your not crazy. ;)

So...Is that basically a spicy pickled cabbage thing? It looks good.

Btw...it doesn't mean your not crazy. ;)

It is...

its essentially a pickled "slaw"... cabbage, carrots, onions, scotch bonnets, salt, garlic, lime, and peppercorns... all soaked in distilled vinegar for several days... some recipes call for adding bell pepper or other things.. but I generally stick to the basic list and have replaced scotch bonnets with habaneros (although any time I can find a scotch bonnet I buy them and make a fresh batch :) ) and have replaced green cabbage with red/purple cabbage..

Its as spicy as you want it to be... I typically use about 6x habaneros for every 1/2 head of cabbage... so its pretty loud around here.. but its easy enough to tone down if you prefer less heat..

It will keep for months... but most of the time a large 32 ounce mason jar like the one in the pic lasts 3-4 weeks tops around here :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OLZErwin36

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]