on a lighter note...

Stick shift. One of the best kidproofers going. Way back in the dark ages (1940s) when I learned to drive there were no slushbox (automatic) transmissions. It was 3 or more on the floor and no synchromesh. Learned to double clutch as one of the first requirements of getting from one gear to the next without grinding. When I took my driving test to get my license (1956) I had to borrow my aunt's car because a stick was mandatory and we had a slushbox. The driving tester was quite impressed that I was double clutching. I still do to this day with a stick.
Learned to drive in a '64 Beetle. Fun in the snow, until you become a toboggen and skid thru corners!

IMG_8896.jpeg

Learned to drive in a '64 Beetle. Fun in the snow, until you become a toboggen and skid thru corners!

LOL, I remember those days! Smashing snow drifts at speed to get to the bare road on the other side! I actually learned to drive on a tractor. I was getting sent to the Co-Op with a tractor and trailer as soon as my feet could reach the pedals. Probably some form of child abuse today!

LOL, I remember those days! Smashing snow drifts at speed to get to the bare road on the other side! I actually learned to drive on a tractor. I was getting sent to the Co-Op with a tractor and trailer as soon as my feet could reach the pedals. Probably some form of child abuse today!

We used to hunt and occasionally would camp on the Usangu Flats. One day when I was 7 or 8 as we left the tent, dad asked if I wanted to drive and handed me the keys. The Landrover was maybe 15' from and facing the tent. I killed the Landrover a couple times letting out the clutch. Dad said to keep giving it plenty of gas. I did and took off straight towards the tent with my mom and brothers inside. Dad shoved the wheel and I took out a guy wire of the tent. It wasn't long before he had me on the Farmall and the 5 ton cabover Bedford. We may have been free labor, but we learned a lot of things young.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Norbow

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.