on a lighter note...

B5083ACF-B629-4A8E-A413-A75563DE2A50.png

North 1067....we had exchanges with operators...there was north..east and west exchanges....so lifted the phone and operator asked for number...eg east 1839 and she connected you....I went to stay with a school friend for the weekend...he lived in South of the island...which area was called central....well I had to ask my mum something so he showed me the phone in the hallway...I picked up the handset and waited...but no operator just a noise...he looked at me and said you have to dial the number....the central numbers where on a fancy automated exchange....but I didn't have a clue what he was talking about....so he had to show me how to use the circular dial....well took me about 4 goes as had to learn that you had to make sure your dialling finger hit the stop....my friend thought it all was very amusing....the boy from out in the country didn't know how to use the phone.....me I thought ours were more advanced as we only had to lift and ask for the number and all was done for you....to me having to dial it yourself seemed very backward... :E Shrug: :E Big Grin:

North 1067....we had exchanges with operators...there was north..east and west exchanges....so lifted the phone and operator asked for number...eg east 1839 and she connected you....I went to stay with a school friend for the weekend...he lived in South of the island...which area was called central....well I had to ask my mum something so he showed me the phone in the hallway...I picked up the handset and waited...but no operator just a noise...he looked at me and said you have to dial the number....the central numbers where on a fancy automated exchange....but I didn't have a clue what he was talking about....so he had to show me how to use the circular dial....well took me about 4 goes as had to learn that you had to make sure your dialling finger hit the stop....my friend thought it all was very amusing....the boy from out in the country didn't know how to use the phone.....me I thought ours were more advanced as we only had to lift and ask for the number and all was done for you....to me having to dial it yourself seemed very backward... :E Shrug: :E Big Grin:
Yep. We had a 3 digit rotary phone on a party line. Every time we'd make a call all the old gossips would pick up and eavesdrop. My girlfriend and I became quite adept at ridiculing them into hanging up and leaving us alone. The good old days when life was simple.

For watching fireworks displays on the 4th, I put an old couch in the back of my pickup.
Yep, I'm a redneck, hillbilly or hick. take your pick.
Yeah...then there is my surprisingly popular "Winter Movie Night".
I used to set a TV outside between the house and the firepit (with the idea that it wasn't as cold there...in WI :rolleyes:) and surrounded the firepit with old couches and stuffed chairs to watch some random movie with all the beer bottles stuffed into the snow in strategic locations around the seating.
What started out as an alcohol induced epiphany involving me and my next door neighbor ( a doctor from Nova Scotia) eating lobster around the firepit he had flown in from back home, turned into a weekly event involving the entire neighborhood. I ended up nearly tripling the size of the firepit to accommodate the increased population along with a much bigger TV. Dish-to-pass always included someone's great chili. Every Friday night throughout the winter no matter how cold.
:giggle: Good times, man, good times.

Yep. We had a 3 digit rotary phone on a party line. Every time we'd make a call all the old gossips would pick up and eavesdrop. My girlfriend and I became quite adept at ridiculing them into hanging up and leaving us alone. The good old days when life was simple.

My cousin would start telling stories about the folks she knew were listening… ‘have you heard that Mrs. Lafrombois is having an affair with Mr. Shuttleworth?’ It was a great way to get rumors started!

1659023580098.png

For watching fireworks displays on the 4th, I put an old couch in the back of my pickup.
Yep, I'm a redneck, hillbilly or hick. take your pick.
Above the Mason/Dixon Line: Swamp Yankee is a colloquial term for rural Yankees (northeastern Americans). The term "Yankee" connotes urbane industriousness, whereas the term "Swamp Yankee" suggests a more countrified, stubborn, independent, and less-refined sub-type.

1659026230254.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErickaVang

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!