Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Zimbabwe (Omay), New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
I'm in the early phases of planning a safari (rifle, plains game, Limpopo) and the off-season (DEC-JAN) may be the only time I can go due to work. Assuming that I am comfortable hunting in warmer weather, what are some considerations for off-season hunting?

Is game still readily available? How bad are the rains- enough to loose a day of hunting? Any impact on trophies? Is there a normal period of time where most hunting outfits are closed (holidays, etc)? I noticed some forum posts say that you can save money in the off-season- whats typical for a 7-day hunt? Anything else that I'm forgetting or not considering?

Thanks for any insights people can offer!

-Tom

Hi Tom

Some Outfitters will be closed or on their yearly marketing trip to the US in the period you mention. Others would still be able to accommodate you.

In general the vegetation is thicker and makes spotting game harder. Species like Judy and Bushbuck may be harder to hunt due to the thick vegetation and also because they tend to move less as there is more food around.
Rain should not be a mayor issue.
Days are much longer and hotter,hairslip on trophies could be a real issue if not taken care of ASAP.

Good luck with planning your hunt and hope to see a hunt report from you.

HHS pretty much summed it all up.

Ditto on what HHS said.

May not be the optimal time but it is certainly not a problem.

I have hunted in Jan and in Feb. There are more leaves and less visibility. Get a good outfitter and it shouldn't be an issue.

Look forward to hearing about your hunt.

All the best.

Hunt can be done just hard to take some animals as easy as you would at other times of the year. Trophy care gets harder and as I have told others looking at that time I would not be looking to take like a giraffe at that time of year. Everything else can be handled and hair slip should be controlled as long as you do good shooting. Animal getting away after being shot and needing to be left over night you could always run in to the hair slip problem.

I would not let the time of year stop me from going if it was the only time I could get away but it will be hot and harder hunting for sure. Good luck and hope your trip goes well

As mentioned above you can lose a day or 2 dew to rain but with the long days in our summer you would have more or less the same hunting time in the bush as you would have in winter time .
Also summertime in Limpopo Waterberg is beautifully with the abundance of water and the new growth of shoking green brush all the newborn animals running around makes it truly an amazing time to be in Africa .

Hunting will be though and you might not get your full bag of trophy animals but the scenery and atmosphere of having a cold one after a long days hunt will make up for that

Keep well
Ryno

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a great time to go! But not all outfitters go to the US.

I'm in the early phases of planning a safari (rifle, plains game, Limpopo) and the off-season (DEC-JAN) may be the only time I can go due to work. Assuming that I am comfortable hunting in warmer weather, what are some considerations for off-season hunting?

Is game still readily available? How bad are the rains- enough to loose a day of hunting? Any impact on trophies? Is there a normal period of time where most hunting outfits are closed (holidays, etc)? I noticed some forum posts say that you can save money in the off-season- whats typical for a 7-day hunt? Anything else that I'm forgetting or not considering?

Thanks for any insights people can offer!

-Tom
I have done the PG hunt in January because of the same situation. It was the only time I could get away. All you need is to hunt a little harder and shoot a little straighter. Did not loose a animal and no issues with skin slip either. You'll have a great time. And remember it is really hot there in January. R.

Thanks for everyone's input! With Africa calling, its tough not to just rush in at the first opportunity!

Thanks for everyone's input! With Africa calling, its tough not to just rush in at the first opportunity!

Rinehart0050,
You talking about SA. Why don't you consider West Africa. December and January, is the beginning of the hunting season. You can hunt buffalo and plains game. Quite an experience.
Best christophe

Everything everyone else said but one addition, terrain, in the mountains you will suffer during December and Jan, the terrain is tough enough during regular hunting season but when one depends on glassing as main means of location it hampers you allot.
Flatter brushy properties are much much easier to operate.

It should not be considered as a good time and it isn't but you should get a couple of trophies. Enjoy it regardless.

My best always

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeinR

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt