6.5x55 sweed

In 1944, the Swedish army switched from 156 gr RN to 139 gr Spitzers. They were getting a skosh over 2500 fps out of their 26" barrels with the Spitzers.

At 762 mps with a 250M zero, you're going to be somewhere around 12 cm high at 100M. If you're hunting the Karoo or the eastern cape mountains, that's probably fine.

Predicted MV for 40.5 gr S365 is 2554 fps, pressure at 42k psi. I expect measured MV will be below 2500.

I said before I wouldn't chase velocity, I still stand by that, but there's also nothing wrong with working up a ladder, start at 40 gr and move up in half grain increments until you get a sticky bolt lift.

My hunting load is 160 gr Woodleigh PPSN, MV 2380 fps (this is what I'm bringing to Limpopo next month, along with my 9.3x62). Both that and my ELD-X 143 loads are exceptionally accurate, so I just didn't bother trying to get any faster than that.
Excellent rifles to bring to Africa , Limpopo province, South Africa, hunting the bushveld is special, mostly walk/stalk hunts, no long distance shots needed ...heavy for caliber bullets is the way to go...
My aim is to shoot good groupings at 300 meters/hitting a 200mm steel gong in the center with small groups.

This will enable me to shoot out to 250-300 meters at a Springbuck in the Kalahari or Karoo regions. When getting these results I will be content.

I have a T3x and set it up as a light carry rifle for hunting mountains and for the the kids to handle easily. It grouped great out the box with 140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and Reloder 26. Had to adjust the load after about 150 shots through the barrel. It has been out and about on a few hunts and just excelled. The last was for Vaalies and Mountain Reedbuck in the Drakensberg and it was a pleasure to carry and shoot. The calibre handles longer shots and wind quite good. I'm starting to really fall in love with this little rifle!

I have a T3x and set it up as a light carry rifle for hunting mountains and for the the kids to handle easily. It grouped great out the box with 140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and Reloder 26. Had to adjust the load after about 150 shots through the barrel. It has been out and about on a few hunts and just excelled. The last was for Vaalies and Mountain Reedbuck in the Drakensberg and it was a pleasure to carry and shoot. The calibre handles longer shots and wind quite good. I'm starting to really fall in love with this little rifle!
Hein, yes, this is what I want from my 6.5x55 Swede ...a light weight shooting rifle with it`s silencer to use by my wife to shoot targets , it has no recoil at all, I am getting to know my 6.5x55 as time goes by and I make changes along my quest to get a load that will work excellently in my Swede...the more trigger time I get the more I love this caliber ...there are still a lot of loads I need to work out, so a lot more trigger time is coming my way (y) (y) (y) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I am currently on the lookout to purchase a TIKKA T3x IN A 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser here in South Africa, unfortunately this is a scarce item..but I will keep on looking for one

Mike, how is the meat damage using the 120gn bullets?? I am on Hornady ELD-X 143 gn I am contemplating going less weight bullets like you have done..
Gert - they worked fine, low on mass however so use a bullet that will hold together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VerleneRus

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt