Obsolete cartridges

MS 9x56

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I seem to have a knack for buying rifles in obsolete and hard to obtain ammunition calibers. I just bought an 8mm caused 98 proofed in 1937 that I found out is an 8x57 J bore or .318 bore. The gun is gorgeoy

Unusual to have a 1937 rifle in .318". Most were .323" by that time. Also a lot of German rifles of that era were 8x60 to get over the Treaty of Versailles resitrictions on 8x57. Have you had both the chamber and bore checked?

If the rifle is indeed a .318" it may be worth sending Geoff at Woodleigh bullets an email. He used to produce a .318" projectile for use in 8x57 J bores. I don't know if that particular die set survived the fire but worth checking.

That is my next step to have a chamber cast and slug the bore. I really enjoy bringing these old obsolete calibers back to usage in the wilds again. There are lots of newer cartridges but many are not really better, just newer. This old war horse deserves a resurrection and I am determined to bring it back. I have a 102 year old remington model 14 in 30 remington and of course my 9x56 MS in a 103 year old rifle. So a 118 year old cartridge in a 87 year old rifle should be a piece of cake. I will post pictures shortly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberthiz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Shaker Crew | Kids Sweatshirt
https://www.braveactiveco.com/products/knit-sweatshirt
Comfortable and premium quality Knit Sweatshirt. Our Knit Sweatshirt is crafted with our exquisite recycled fabric, ensuring a soft and lightweight feel.
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia