Not-so-stinky Sunscreen

MarkinMI

Reaction score
Member of
NRA Life, MBGHA Life, TNWBH Life, many other organizations and sportsmman's clubs.
Hunted
USA (Michigan, Iowa, Texas, Alaska)
Wow, how did 18 months go by so fast?
Seems it was ages ago when I booked my first safari for my son and I, and now, 18 August is knocking on the door. As Willie sang: "Funny How Time Slips Away."
Anywho, sure have learned an awful lot on this forum, feel we're pretty well prepared for the trip, much kudos to all those who post in detail.
Knowing scent is/can be a real killer on stalking the PG that we will be after, is there any specific brand of sunscreen that doesn't leave you smelling like a fresh cut coconut or some tropical Hawaiian flower?
I'm a fair-skinned Finn, and the sun is not my friend.
Got Permethrin and Picaridin for the bugs, and a wide-brimmed hat, but, unsure on what to use for sun protection?
As usual, your suggestions and first-hand knowledge will be much appreciated!

There are lots of unscented sunscreens but it really doesn’t matter if you are stalking game. I could understand more if you are sitting in a blind with a bow? If you are using rifle, You are going to use the wind to plan a proper stalk and probably shoot somewhere between 75 and 200 yards. If you want to combine your wide brim hat with a long sleeve collared shirt and a neck gaiter you really don’t need any sunscreen except a little on your hands once a day.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 9.30.22 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 9.30.22 AM.png
    957.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't wear sunscreen. I covered as much skin as possible with only my fingers and around my eyes exposed.

Then again I come from a part of the USA that gets almost no sun... So I'm basically an albino most of the year.

As per above, scent doesn’t matter- you already smell like a carnivore. If you don’t mind the wind, you are screwed as far as the animals are concerned. If you want scent free for your own sake or your wife or whatever that’s different.

After alot of online research, I recently bought some spf50 from Bondi Sands. It's advertised as fragrance free. I tested upon receiving it in the mail, I wouldn't call it odorless but it's probably the closest to it as you will find.

Unseen Sunscreen by Supergoop! is like not even having sunscreen on…except that you are

I use 5 or 6 bottles of bullfrog quick gels a year, they also make one that has bug dope in it that has a little stronger odor but goes away pretty quickly.

Another vote for Bull Frog.

Nivea, but unfortunately, it’s not available in the USA. Slight smell.

Avon Skin So Soft is bug dope and sunscreen combined…supposedly odorless and I have used it on numerous trips without comment from my PHs.

If the wind is wrong your natural scent will be picked up immediately even if you took a shower that morning. When stalking I would rely on the PH and trackers to move you in downwind. Chances are most of the people involved in getting you to a shooting position did not consider masking there scent, rather the direction of approach is the determining factor. Use what ever sunscreen works best for you.

My favorite sunscreen is from Shiseido, which is an expensive Japanese cosmetics company. I tried some that my wife bought and won’t use anything else. Because it is not aromatic I can use it near my eyes without my eyes burning. It is very expensive but I don’t use a lot. Later I found out it came out on top of Consumer Reports test of sunscreens.
Sunscreen is a necessity if you spend a lot of time fishing from a boat.

2nd on Green Chile Comment--Avon Skin so Soft Bug repellant and sunscreen. Used it every day on 10 day moz hunt last fall, it's great. Keeps Teste off and others as well and never showed signs of sunburn after being out in it for 8 hours a day with one morning application.

Wow, how did 18 months go by so fast?
Seems it was ages ago when I booked my first safari for my son and I, and now, 18 August is knocking on the door. As Willie sang: "Funny How Time Slips Away."
Anywho, sure have learned an awful lot on this forum, feel we're pretty well prepared for the trip, much kudos to all those who post in detail.
Knowing scent is/can be a real killer on stalking the PG that we will be after, is there any specific brand of sunscreen that doesn't leave you smelling like a fresh cut coconut or some tropical Hawaiian flower?
I'm a fair-skinned Finn, and the sun is not my friend.
Got Permethrin and Picaridin for the bugs, and a wide-brimmed hat, but, unsure on what to use for sun protection?
As usual, your suggestions and first-hand knowledge will be much appreciated!
From an odor perspective, It doesn't matter at all. If an animal catches your scent, it does not matter what aftershave, deodorant, cologne, or sunscreen you are wearing. I would suggest worrying about one that works.

2nd on Green Chile Comment--Avon Skin so Soft Bug repellant and sunscreen. Used it every day on 10 day moz hunt last fall, it's great. Keeps Teste off and others as well and never showed signs of sunburn after being out in it for 8 hours a day with one morning application.
I can find two Avon Skin so Soft:
https://www.avon.com/product/skin-so-soft-bug-guard-plus-picaridin-aerosol-spray-10401 and https://www.avon.com/product/skin-s...-ir3535-expedition-aerosol-spray-spf-28-33646
Do you remember which one you were using?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 11.27.35 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 11.27.35 AM.png
    833.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 11.27.47 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 11.27.47 AM.png
    890.2 KB · Views: 9
Animals senses are on a level way over ours. Regardless of what we do to mask our scent they will smell us out.
example, some years ago I was hunting deer in the Wicklow hills here in Ireland. My companion had a BMH, or Bavarian Mountain Hound. Walking over open terrain the dog suddenly stopped and faced into the wind.
i start scanning with my bino 2-300 yards out, nothing to be seen. Then John said “There they are, up in the rocks on the slope, 627 yards out” Leica rangefinder binoculars. I was amazed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeviHyde3

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt