Non Hunting Trip help - Botswana and Namibia

Tulu

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I know this may sound strange as of course we are all here for the same reason but let me explain.

I want to introduce my love of Africa to my wife. The reason I want to choose a non hunting trip first is she is still new to the hunting/outdoor life and did not grow up in that kind of family. She would like to experience the bush along with me and not have to worry about the soul purpose being hunting. We would like it to be more of a vacation in the bush than a hunting camp that I would be used to.

With this being said, I have never gone on a non hunting trip to Africa on my own before so I am not sure where to start or who to go with if possible.

Would anyone have any recommendations on guides or places to stay where we can hit the Okavango Delta and also hit Namibia as well.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

PS: we all know how we can’t shake the dust off our boots once it’s on there and my goal is that to happen with her and we can return to hunt!

Hi Tulu,
My wife and i did a 2 week self-drive tour of Namibia and Botswana in 2018. The company set us up with a capable vehicle (Toyota) and booked all accommodation. It was a mix of high-end lodges, resorts, and safari style tenting in various places along he way. We used a GPS, and were given a map with places marked where we could get gas, water, snacks etc. We never drove at night, and felt very safe. We stayed at two national parks, my wife was stunned by the beauty of it all. Food was good everywhere, and plenty of gorgeous wine abounds!
The company we used however, did not make it through the Covid crunch, or I would have given you their details.
A Google search of "self-drive Namibia & Botswana" should give you some ideas though.
Good Luck!

Hi Tulu,
My wife and i did a 2 week self-drive tour of Namibia and Botswana in 2018. The company set us up with a capable vehicle (Toyota) and booked all accommodation. It was a mix of high-end lodges, resorts, and safari style tenting in various places along he way. We used a GPS, and were given a map with places marked where we could get gas, water, snacks etc. We never drove at night, and felt very safe. We stayed at two national parks, my wife was stunned by the beauty of it all. Food was good everywhere, and plenty of gorgeous wine abounds!
The company we used however, did not make it through the Covid crunch, or I would have given you their details.
A Google search of "self-drive Namibia & Botswana" should give you some ideas though.
Good Luck!

Excellent! This is exactly the type of thing I’m looking for and planning on doing.
I don’t want her to experience the scene only behind the lodge walls if you know what I mean but truly experience the countries we visit!

Thank you and I will do that! Good to know that exists!

I would suggest that you look at going to Chobe and Victoria Falls area. Excellent infrastructure and lots of wildlife. The evening river cruise at Chobe when the elephant cross the river into Namibia from Botswana was fabulous.

I'm headed back to Botswana here in a week, for a second trip.
The first trip we used Botetti for lodging and Okavango deta tours, moremi tour, definitely recommend helicopter ride if you do this.
This second trip we are using our hunting outfitter NKWE SAFARIS for our trip into Moremi. We will be using Helicopter Horizon for 45min heli ride over Delta.
Hope this helps

Namibia2Go are a rental company we used in 2023. We had our own agenda, a day in Etosha, drive across Damaraland and the Skeleton Coast.
They can plan an itinerary for you. I recommend a days shark fishing off the coast with Louis Fenaux in Henties Bay, Namibia.
IMG_7052.jpeg
IMG_7045.jpeg

We camped through the parks from Maun to Kasane a number of years ago. My PH drove one rig and I drove the other. We spent a couple of days in Kasane/Vic Falls and then drove the cut lines back to Maun. One of our greatest times in Africa.

Since I lived in Lagos, Nigeria for 6 years, my non-hunting wife and I took several photo safaris. We always used Go2Africa.com out of Cape Town to make all the travel arrangements and it was always perfect!

I don't know the people in this video, but it's extremely well done (and well budgeted too!). Gives you a great feel for a driving safari in Namibia, Botswana and Zambia (Royal Livingstone Hotel at Vic Falls).

Went last month to Namibia for a 2 week self drive game viewing safari / overlanding trip with some family. Lots of fun. PM me if you want our itinerary.

Have done 3 trips to South Africa in the last 6 years for hunting trips ,all travel have slways been in the PH’s Vehicle. However wife has now said she wants to go to Africa before I go with the usual group, luckily she has no issue with hunting and I can still hunt on this trip which she wants to come on. but wants a few days tagged on end for non shooting safari etc.
I have never seen any trouble when travelling around SA in vehicles, we did 2500 miles on last trip-

just wondering how safe it actually is to hire a car and drive around on own for a few days at end off hunting trip.
I will be using PH rifle on this trip to make life easier.

Land in Windhoek. Travel to Etosha, then up to Rundu, enter the Caprivi, travel up east until you cross over into Botswana at Katima Mulilo. Do the Chobe, Moreme, Savuti etc, enjoy the Delta, then drop off the Vehicle in Gabarone, fly O.R Thambo and back home.

Plenty to do in the Caprivi. I’ve done it numerous times. You are welcome to PM me for more detail

Went last month to Namibia for a 2 week self drive game viewing safari / overlanding trip with some family. Lots of fun. PM me if you want our itinerary.

Pm sent! Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buclover79

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron