New/used vehicle prices

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 40394
  • Start date Start date
I actually think there is a good chance they may be cheaper in a couple years. I used to be able to get between 18% to 22% off sticker price. Between rebates and negotiating timed with buying at the right time to have a very motivated seller, such as year end.

Let the economy cool off a bit, let the supply chain work out the rest of the covid kinks, and chip manufacturers catch up.... No reason to believe the big rebates and dealer discounts won't return....

I hope so, I usually do the the same thing, end of year for the current year model.

I actually think there is a good chance they may be cheaper in a couple years. I used to be able to get between 18% to 22% off sticker price. Between rebates and negotiating timed with buying at the right time to have a very motivated seller, such as year end.

Let the economy cool off a bit, let the supply chain work out the rest of the covid kinks, and chip manufacturers catch up.... No reason to believe the big rebates and dealer discounts won't return....
I agree as manufactures get caught up and inventory and demand equalize that there will be discounts and deals to had. That will be especially true on previous year models that are currently held up waiting for parts and may not be released for sale until next year or even the year after. But that said, I don't believe we will see the base price of new models come down much.

A friend ordered an F350 dually. Waited 2 years, $93k. The dealer told him they would give him $140k if he wouldn’t pick it up. He turned it down. Needed for work.

My girlfriend’s dad has a diesel 2500. Paid $61k. Drives a ton. 9 months later with 66k miles on it, the dealer offered him $63k. Again, needed for work.

I had a 2020 F250. Drove it for 14 months and got $3k less than I paid. Had I gotten a diesel I would have made money.

A friend ordered an F350 dually. Waited 2 years, $93k. The dealer told him they would give him $140k if he wouldn’t pick it up. He turned it down. Needed for work.

My girlfriend’s dad has a diesel 2500. Paid $61k. Drives a ton. 9 months later with 66k miles on it, the dealer offered him $63k. Again, needed for work.

I had a 2020 F250. Drove it for 14 months and got $3k less than I paid. Had I gotten a diesel I would have made money.
My buddy had a ford diesel and put 100,000 miles on it and traded and made money.

$1k or more for a set a 4, even with a coupon and on sale.
Good on you! I priced Nitto Terra Grappler® G2, and they went up about $100 per tire.

A fellow I know ordered a diesel F-250 in February. It still hasn’t even been scheduled to be built…

Pickups are showing more insanity in prices than passenger vehicles...but....the demand is going to go up there dramatically as more of the LOW TENSION PISTON RINGS begin to be MASSIVE oil burners. And not just Toyota, but Acura and a whole bunch of others who bought into the "you can lower emissions to meet new vehicle standards" by using low tension rings. (and what of emissions when they start burning a qt. of oil every 1000 miles--or worse! Toyota says there is not a problem if they go 1200 miles before needing a quart!) People are going to dump them, or rebuild them. Guess what--toyota dealerships don't even DO overhauls anymore--they will install a crate engine. If you have a problem with the new balancing rod adjustment, they don't know how to fix that either.
So, when the poor folks who can't afford a new vehicle get stuck with high priced clunkers--after all, "Toyotas last forever" so we don't have to lower prices, the screams are going to go up. Will the greenies who suggested the low tension rings come to the rescue? Don't make me lol
Things will adjust somehow--in the meantime, better not extend those oil change intervals, even with synthetic or you WILL have an oil burner on your hands.
Prices, to be fair, should go down on those oil-burners, but what have you got for the price, even then?
It's no longer as easy to drive the old ones into the ground in order to save more money for hunting.

Last edited:
I bought a new 2020 F250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla/10spd. I bought it in Dec 2020. MSRP $63K. I paid $59K. I've been offered more than MSRP several times but it's paid for and I have no interest in selling it. I live on rural property and when I do need to haul something a 1/2 ton F150 or C1500 just won't cut it. It's a normally aspirated pushrod big block V8 (445ci). An honest to God dinosaur (well, actually Godzilla) and I love the damn thing. No diesel injectors to replace, no turbos to worry about, no DEF, cheaper fuel and it pulls everything I need to haul with ease. If I hauled 12-15Klbs on a regular basis I'd have to suck it up and get a diesel but, thankfully, I don't so the big block gas motor works great for my needs. 475ft-lb torque @ 4000rpm. Pretty tame by modern diesel standards but those numbers aren't much different from diesel motors of 20 years ago. I'm averaging 15.6mpg including some towing. I plan to keep it until it dies.

All tires are beyond belief regarding the cost at my level. I've been selling tires at retail for 21 years and not only is the cost up, availability is difficult to impossible.
In addition, used cars are scarce and expensive...

Have you gents shopped for truck tires lately? You are going to sh*t your pants when you see the prices of tires. :mad:
Outrageous prices just from a year ago!

Saw a 2021 F-250 4x4 Limited with the diesel, 14,000 miles for just north of $100,000 in Lubbock the other day. Even a new Nissan Frontier is around $40K if you get a four door 4x4. I've got a '17 with 115K on the odometer. I think it'll rack up a few more miles before I trade!

All tires are beyond belief regarding the cost at my level. I've been selling tires at retail for 21 years and not only is the cost up, availability is difficult to impossible.
In addition, used cars are scarce and expensive...
Must be part of Brandon's "Build Back Broke" plan"?

Tire prices may cut out my favorite source--new vehicle take-offs. People used to be so choosy about their off road tires, they would take off the new standard issue, and sell them on Craigslist. When all our money saving hacks come unglued, we will all have to admit the real level of inflation and join the chorus of reform in governmental and financial policies or prepare to do without a lot of extras.
I kind of think we cannot exempt ourselves from what corruption has done to other countries.

I bought a new 2020 F250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla/10spd. I bought it in Dec 2020. MSRP $63K. I paid $59K. I've been offered more than MSRP several times but it's paid for and I have no interest in selling it. I live on rural property and when I do need to haul something a 1/2 ton F150 or C1500 just won't cut it. It's a normally aspirated pushrod big block V8 (445ci). An honest to God dinosaur (well, actually Godzilla) and I love the damn thing. No diesel injectors to replace, no turbos to worry about, no DEF, cheaper fuel and it pulls everything I need to haul with ease. If I hauled 12-15Klbs on a regular basis I'd have to suck it up and get a diesel but, thankfully, I don't so the big block gas motor works great for my needs. 475ft-lb torque @ 4000rpm. Pretty tame by modern diesel standards but those numbers aren't much different from diesel motors of 20 years ago. I'm averaging 15.6mpg including some towing. I plan to keep it until it dies.
Well, do you think it could pull a Russian tank that ran out of fuel? My F250 diesel could! LOL

I know an executive with an oilfield service company who buys their pickups. He's going with the godzilla F250s for all the reasons you've explained. They put 250-300K miles on their trucks l, mostly highway and towing no more than 8-10k when they tow. They're still going diesel with the F350 and up, but some of them tow 20K+.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BonnyHicks

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?