New Qatar Weapons Requirements!

Going through IAH.

We both have Global Entry, not terribly concerned about getting through security.

I just logged onto my QA account and did an online help chat. The guy says all the paperwork is handled at check-in now. Given the hit-or-miss of competency/knowledge, recommendation is to arrive at check-in at least 3 hours before scheduled departure. Out of an abundance of caution, we'll be at check-in 4 hours before scheduled departure.

If your going through DFW that still may not be enough time; seriously I got there 4 hours early and after check in and security I walked up to the gate as boarding began.

If I would have stopped for dinner on the way to the airport I would have missed the flight.
Ya it’s absurd. So many families from the east and they all pack massive oversized luggage and massive bags. Then they all get flagged for over sized/weight and then scramble to take stuff out and switch bags and try and make it work. Groups/families of 8 plus. It’s a zoo

It was a nightmare. None of them are prepared and it’s frustrating standing there with all your documents and your proper sized luggage and you have to wait for idiots.

Ya it’s absurd. So many families from the east and they all pack massive oversized luggage and massive bags. Then they all get flagged for over sized/weight and then scramble to take stuff out and switch bags and try and make it work. Groups/families of 8 plus. It’s a zoo

It was a nightmare. None of them are prepared and it’s frustrating standing there with all your documents and your proper sized luggage and you have to wait for idiots.
Inconsiderate assholes are everywhere.

I don't generally give 2 figs about people's feelings, but I always do what I can to not make a nuisance or inconvenience of myself.

I just logged onto my QA account and did an online help chat. The guy says all the paperwork is handled at check-in now. Given the hit-or-miss of competency/knowledge, recommendation is to arrive at check-in at least 3 hours before scheduled departure. Out of an abundance of caution, we'll be at check-in 4 hours before scheduled departure.
Most of the time you can't check in 4 hours before with Qatar.
Their check in counters open only 3 hours before the flight.
However don't worry you'll be fine...

Inconsiderate assholes are everywhere.

I don't generally give 2 figs about people's feelings, but I always do what I can to not make a nuisance or inconvenience of myself.
Agreed on the assholes, there was a massive collection of them with their ENTIRE family at DFW and each person had a bag the size of a studio apartment. It took over 3 hours just to check in.

As for the global entry, I have TSA precheck and it did me absolutely no good.

The most efficient airport for TSA screening I've been through is actually Hobby, down on the south side of Houston.

The TSA precheck/Global Entry line at IAH usually runs pretty fast.

Because the entire Qatar staff is relying on 1 person who knows what they are doing, so you have 5 people watching one person fill out a form.

Neither myself or my hunting travel agent knew anything about this new form until I walked up to the counter.

Seriously, the Qatar counter @ DFW was the biggest cluster F#%K I’ve ever seen while traveling.
If your going through DFW that still may not be enough time; seriously I got there 4 hours early and after check in and security I walked up to the gate as boarding began.

If I would have stopped for dinner on the way to the airport I would have missed the flight.
It should be enough time. It was my fault on yours because I forgot you were in coach and you needed to get in business class line due to the rifle. Then it would have been much faster!

The most efficient airport for TSA screening I've been through is actually Hobby, down on the south side of Houston.

The TSA precheck/Global Entry line at IAH usually runs pretty fast.
San Antonio was laughably easy on the two safaris last year. Literally not one person in precheck line either time! The trouble in D at DFW is that there is only one precheck line. I had to go back to counter to get my sons precheck on his boarding pass so we could get through quick. Regular lines in the evening can run 45 minutes!

Ha ha. So very true! All the kids and bags is crazy. This is one reason to be at the counter early for international flights.

Most of the time you can't check in 4 hours before with Qatar.
Their check in counters open only 3 hours before the flight.
However don't worry you'll be fine...
True. They have two flights daily at DFW and we were on the later one. One lady said Id have to wait until the later flight checks in. I said no I am not waiting, check me in. Then they ushered me over to the “one guy” to do my rifle paperwork.

San Antonio was laughably easy on the two safaris last year. Literally not one person in precheck line either time! The trouble in D at DFW is that there is only one precheck line. I had to go back to counter to get my sons precheck on his boarding pass so we could get through quick. Regular lines in the evening can run 45 minutes!
The one and only thing I don't like about flying AA is mostly having to fly through DFW. CLT wasn't a whole lot better last time I flew through there.

That’s because SAT is a small crappy airport. I usually drive to Austin if I am flying anywhere other than Dallas or Houston. In the early mornings SAT is a zoo, after that rush it’s fairly dead.

That’s because SAT is a small crappy airport. I usually drive to Austin if I am flying anywhere other than Dallas or Houston. In the early mornings SAT is a zoo, after that rush it’s fairly dead.
I actually liked it. The main walkway is narrow was my main complaint. I never had any trouble on the last two trips going through SAT. It was actually the easiest I’ve done as far as check in and TSA.
SAT is 3 hours for me and AUS is 4. So if the price is right I have a few choices.

The one and only thing I don't like about flying AA is mostly having to fly through DFW. CLT wasn't a whole lot better last time I flew through there.
I hear this from folks from time to time and it perplexes me. What do you not like about DFW?
I’ve been all over the world and DFW has by far the best train system and the best airport restaurant for both food and atmosphere in Pappadeaux in terminal A. No, it does not have great aesthetics with its mostly white decor but as far as functionality it can’t be beat!

The issue was not in Doha, as your checked bags are "In Transit". The issue was at the Qatar Gate in DFW at departure check-in, and again, at the Qatar check-in in Johannesburg for the return flight to the USA. I forgot to get a blank copy of Qatar's, "Declaration Of Surrender OF Firearms", form #: QTR/SEC/018 REV02. I recommending requesting Qatar to email you this form so you will have it completed to hand to them at check-in. All the information they ask for on the form is a duplication of US Customs and Border Protection form #CBP Form 4457 and SA SAPS Form 525 (formerly SAPS 520). Another very important note, is make sure you check in on your return flight 24 hours prior, and let them know you are checking in Weapons. The agents in Johannesburg freaked out when they found out I was checking a weapon even though I had brough the weapon on their inbound flight. How Qatar is rated #1 airline in the world is beyond me. Love their Q-Suites though!

Check in 4 hours prior, good luck hunting, and mind the moon phases!
Hmm, I hope that riflepermits.com have used the correct form. I have a message from them that I'm pre-approved for entry into SA. But the doc I filled out and sent to them is definitely marked as "SAPS 520".

I guess I'll know on Monday morning...

I l fly in and out of Charlotte a lot. Like 20-25 times a year.
It became one of the worst major airports in the country.
Construction is still going on after 10 years and the whole airport is being run way over capacity.
It's cheap to operate out of there for AA and they don't care about overcrowding and airport management is only about making money to create more retail space by reducing passenger seating areas at the gates.

I hear this from folks from time to time and it perplexes me. What do you not like about DFW?
I’ve been all over the world and DFW has by far the best train system and the best airport restaurant for both food and atmosphere in Pappadeaux in terminal A. No, it does not have great aesthetics with its mostly white decor but as far as functionality it can’t be beat!
Maybe if you’re driving to DFW but if flying in with rifles from somewhere else and rechecking them with QA, you claim bags and then have to go outside and transfer to another terminal. PIA but nice once onboard in QSuite.

I personally despise the AA/DFW experience. Between my son who lives in Texas and my wife who is from the DFW area, we have a long running streak of flights being delayed by many hours to flat out cancelled when flying out of there on AA to Phoenix. I honestly don't remember the last time a flight left there bound for Phoenix as scheduled, and we do this quite often. It's now to the point of just counting on the flight inbound to Phoenix is going to be late.

I personally despise the AA/DFW experience. Between my son who lives in Texas and my wife who is from the DFW area, we have a long running streak of flights being delayed by many hours to flat out cancelled when flying out of there on AA to Phoenix. I honestly don't remember the last time a flight left there bound for Phoenix as scheduled, and we do this quite often. It's now to the point of just counting on the flight inbound to Phoenix is going to be late.
That is terrible.

Maybe if you’re driving to DFW but if flying in with rifles from somewhere else and rechecking them with QA, you claim bags and then have to go outside and transfer to another terminal. PIA but nice once onboard in QSuite.
Try doing it in ATL! Actually DFW is easy in comparison. Yes you have to claim and take bus to D. D is such a nice terminal once you are inside!
I have checked through rifles and luggage AA-QA on several occasions with no problems. You do still have to go outside security and do the paperwork however. With my group I just feel better hand checking with QA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aimee21Z02

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles