New Qatar Weapons Requirements!

Jay A Huminsky

Reaction score
Just took Qatar Airlines for the first time to Johannesburg. They have a new form for weapons. This form is not available on their website, it must be completed by the gate agent, information then communicated to baggage manager, then approved by a gate manager. I was at check it 4 hours prior to the flight with one hunter in front of me and two behind me in line. It took my gate agent 1 and 1/2 hours to complete my form with the same information that a US Customs form has and the South African SAPS 525 form. The hunter, two persons back from me, did not make our flight. DO NOT FLY QATAR if you are bringing your rifles!!!

I just looked at the Qatar website and it does indeed look like things have changed. Here is a copy and paste from their web page.

In the past there was firearms declaration but just had to be provided 30 days prior to travel if I remember correctly....

What city did you depart from and which route did you take?

Firearms​

Checked baggage

Need approval
Passengers may carry one or more firearms in their checked baggage on a Qatar Airways flight if they are declared to the airline at check in. A ‘Declaration of Surrender of Firearms’ must be signed and the required licences and documentation for their firearms, must be provided to the appropriate local authorities in the States they are flying to and from.

Firearms must be unloaded and packaged appropriately in a hard-side, lockable container. The baggage containing the firearms must be locked before being accepted for carriage.

Contact us for more information.

I feel your pain!….

I got to DFW 4 hours before boarding and it took me over 3 hours to check in, it took so long to check in that TSA precheck was closed at the gate.

I walked up to the gate just in time to board, seriously my worst airline experience to date.

Makainks, your answer is BS. As I said, the form is not on the website, and the gate agents admitted this was a new policy, even they are not used to. If you want to trust the internet, be my guest. I just got back (DFW to Joberg) on August 1st. This is all new information from hunters (deewayne2203 and I) so take it from those who have gone through the pain. Travel Qatar if you want, but be warned.

That doesn’t sound good. I’m going to travel with Qatar in October with my rifles. Just to clarify: is this the procedure while checking in at the airport of your origin or while checking through in Doha?

Makainks, your answer is BS. As I said, the form is not on the website, and the gate agents admitted this was a new policy, even they are not used to. If you want to trust the internet, be my guest. I just got back (DFW to Joberg) on August 1st. This is all new information from hunters (deewayne2203 and I) so take it from those who have gone through the pain. Travel Qatar if you want, but be warned.
Yes I understand. I think I was trying to agree with you... I copied and pasted directly from their website today. There is no form available. It says to contact them.....

He was confirming what you said.

That doesn’t sound good. I’m going to travel with Qatar in October with my rifles. Just to clarify: is this the procedure while checking in at the airport of your origin or while checking through in Doha?
The issue was not in Doha, as your checked bags are "In Transit". The issue was at the Qatar Gate in DFW at departure check-in, and again, at the Qatar check-in in Johannesburg for the return flight to the USA. I forgot to get a blank copy of Qatar's, "Declaration Of Surrender OF Firearms", form #: QTR/SEC/018 REV02. I recommending requesting Qatar to email you this form so you will have it completed to hand to them at check-in. All the information they ask for on the form is a duplication of US Customs and Border Protection form #CBP Form 4457 and SA SAPS Form 525 (formerly SAPS 520). Another very important note, is make sure you check in on your return flight 24 hours prior, and let them know you are checking in Weapons. The agents in Johannesburg freaked out when they found out I was checking a weapon even though I had brough the weapon on their inbound flight. How Qatar is rated #1 airline in the world is beyond me. Love their Q-Suites though!

Check in 4 hours prior, good luck hunting, and mind the moon phases!

Sorry Mekainiks, I mis-read your comment. Yes things have changed and their gate agents are not happy with the new requirements. My wife is writing Qatar as we speak. Ture North brother.
No worries at all, it happens.

Thank You for the heads up regarding the change. Lots of folks, including me, use Qatar so this is a crucial piece of information for sure.

:D Beers:

I just flew Qatar with rifles last week. The agent in Chicago had new form and in Harare too. I wouldn’t have a problem flying Qatar again with a rifle, but it’s not as easy as other airlines from what I saw.

Did you use a travel agent that specializes in firearm transit?

It doesn’t sound much different than when I went in 23. I had my packet organized by travel agent and she made sure gun was in system.

DFW Qatar desk thanked me for being so organized and I said no thank my travel agent.

I flew economy - they found me on the plane before take off and let me know my gun was on the plane.

Did you use a travel agent that specializes in firearm transit?

It doesn’t sound much different than when I went in 23. I had my packet organized by travel agent and she made sure gun was in system.

DFW Qatar desk thanked me for being so organized and I said no thank my travel agent.

I flew economy - they found me on the plane before take off and let me know my gun was on the plane.
There is a new form that Qatar hadn’t yet made available to at least my travel agent, but it is same 1 page declaration/surrender form, just slightly reformatted. It took 10 minutes to fill out and my 4457s.

Looks like we need to tag Jennifer @TRAVEL EXPRESS and see what she knows

Sounds similar to my 2021 and 2023 trips. Form might be a little different but wasn’t hard to complete. I think back then I emailed requesting it and had everything already done on hand with multiple copies.

In order of ease of flying to/from Africa with firearms from my personal experience

Delta
Qatar
Emirates
British Airways

This form sounds like it is different than the firearm surrender form that we have had to have in the past.

This form sounds like it is different than the firearm surrender form that we have had to have in the past.
It’s not. It’s identical except different formatting. I brought the old form and just transferred to the new form. Same information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XiomaraEdm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe