New member vetting

How would you vette any potential hunter who contacts you about going on a hunt? I'm sure a great deal of your business is done with hunters who are not on AH, so treat a member, especially a new one, the same way you would any other non member who calls to book a hunt.

If this is something for a documentary or hunting show, ask for references or samples of their work on other hunts they've done. Trust your instincts.

If filming for a documentary it would for me be a hard pass. Everything that can be said on the subject is already said.

Why take the change. Only if it would be a known hunter I would take the risk.

When a 50% deposit has cleared and is in your account then you can trust them.

What is the proper way to vette a new member? New member, no previous posts. Could be a lot of money involved. Possibility of bad publicity for hunting.

I am very uncomfortable, but want to be fair.

Lon
Something we said a lot in the prison system, and especially when we were training new officers was, "If something feels wrong, it probably is."

I remember "The Guns of Autumn" a 1975 made for TV "documentary" with Dan Rather that was nothing but a hit piece made to make all hunters look like unethical slobs with a desire to cause animals pain.

When a 50% deposit has cleared and is in your account then you can trust them.
But can you tho?
I don't think its a far reach for an anti-hunting group to fund a "hunter" and cameraman to go film an elephant hunt and then post the whole "tramatic, dramatic affair" as negatively as possible to be used as anti hunting fodder around the world......

I check references before booking a hunt. Is there a reason it’s unacceptable for an outfitter to ask the same thing? Asking for references of non-zim outfitters or booking agents that can be verified seems reasonable to me. I wouldn’t be offended if I was asked.
When asked about previous hunts, most real hunters are more than happy to tell hunting stories. From there I'd think it would be pretty easy to tell if the people booking the hunt were genuine.

That’s a tough one. If they want to film it for a documentary you might be able to get a clause in the contract providing you with final approval and review.

I’m looking at a hunt right now that’s a pretty long way off and substantial money. The outfitter interviews potential hunters, then he decided who he wants to book. I’ve always wondered how much of the conversation potential clients have with Outfitters is an interview from their end. I’m sure the outfitters use the info in pairing PH’s and determine areas, I know a few outfitters who’ve declined potential customers. Just wonder if it happens more often than we hear about.

That’s a tough one. If they want to film it for a documentary you might be able to get a clause in the contract providing you with final approval and review.

I’m looking at a hunt right now that’s a pretty long way off and substantial money. The outfitter interviews potential hunters, then he decided who he wants to book. I’ve always wondered how much of the conversation potential clients have with Outfitters is an interview from their end. I’m sure the outfitters use the info in pairing PH’s and determine areas, I know a few outfitters who’ve declined potential customers. Just wonder if it happens more often than we hear about.
If I was an outfitter in a specialty area with limited quota, I would be interviewing my potential clients. I think they do some of this anyway. I know they evaluate you when you arrive to watch your gun handling, sight in, etc. That determines are we going for impala or buff on the first day...not entirely correct but some version of that does happen. I got to help look for a wounded buff from the last client's hunt one time...that meant a lot to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TravisSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED