New Member from Arkansas, Planning for 2025 Hunt, and Beyond.

There are a couple Ruger #1 in 375 H&H available at gun broker. Not a bad choice if you can't find a bolt you're looking for.

Many times, the outfitter has rental guns if you don't want to worry about transferring personal rifles.
Depending on your quarry a good thirty caliber will handle most animals minus the dangerous game. Then a .375 is the minimal usually. .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, 9.3x62 etc.
Most plains game is doable by your ordinary deer rifle.

Welcome to AH!!

thanks! i haven't explored the Ruger yet. i will look into it. i love the model 70 but none to be found yet. i am early in the process so still gathering info, but need something soon!

Just bought a Ruger 77 in 375 ruger at a gun shop in Madil Oklahoma. He had 2 other Ruger 77 another 375 ruger and a 416 both laminate wood and stainless. If you're interested I can DM you the info.

Hello and welcome!

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH Buckums!

Just bought a Ruger 77 in 375 ruger at a gun shop in Madil Oklahoma. He had 2 other Ruger 77 another 375 ruger and a 416 both laminate wood and stainless. If you're interested I can DM you the info.
Thanks. I will look into the Ruger 77 today.

Hello Buckums,

Khomas Highland Hunting and Fishing Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

You can’t go wrong with a sturdy .375 H&H, topped with an equally sturdy low power scope and 300 grain modern bullets for Buffalo + Plains Game.

For Plains Game alone, almost any .375 H&H bullets of 250 grains, 270 grains and / or 300 grains work well.
My favorite so called “Plains Game Rifle” is the .375 H&H, with old fashioned 300 grain round nose soft points, such as Hornady, Remington, Norma, etc.
It’s a lot less destructive than the various .300 Magnums, on meat and skins of the smaller animals but breaks the heavy shoulder bones of eland, zebra, waterbuck and so forth, like breaking pretzel sticks.
(Likewise, it is also my favorite for hunting in Alaska).

I look forward to your hunt report.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Hello Buckums,

Khomas Highland Hunting and Fishing Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

You can’t go wrong with a sturdy .375 H&H, topped with an equally sturdy low power scope and 300 grain modern bullets for Buffalo + Plains Game.

For Plains Game alone, almost any .375 H&H bullets of 250 grains, 270 grains and / or 300 grains work well.
My favorite so called “Plains Game Rifle” is the .375 H&H, with old fashioned 300 grain round nose soft points, such as Hornady, Remington, Norma, etc.
It’s a lot less destructive than the various .300 Magnums, on meat and skins of the smaller animals but breaks the heavy shoulder bones of eland, zebra, waterbuck and so forth, like breaking pretzel sticks.
(Likewise, it is also my favorite for hunting in Alaska).

I look forward to your hunt report.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
Thank you sir. This is helpful info!

Thanks! I will be hunting the Luangwa Valley. My target species are: Buffalo and PG. Now I need a rifle! I don't have anything large now. 300WM is my first love but understandably not quite up to the task on buff. I am in the early days here, and I am still doing my research (primarily on this forum) but I am strongly leaning towards a 375 H&H right now to handle that task.
A good bolt .375 is exactly what you need. If you get into it and want to add something bigger later, then go for it. A good bolt .375 is the building block of any safari rifle collection.

You are in for a treat hunting in Zambia. I hunted there many years ago and would love to go back at some point. Do you mind sharing the outfitter you are hunting with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksportcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]