New malaria vaccine

Africa already has a population problem. Sadly, this will only make matters worse. Alexandria, for example, already with a population of a gazillion, had a doubling rate of ten years last I knew. And my studies in that field are extremely dated. I'm sure it's less than that now. The HIV epidemic in South Africa is almost a blessing. Terrible to say. But it's a fact. Overcrowded people are hungry people are angry people = people at war = everything on the ground suffers. People need to die ... one way or the other. We just need to make sure the rest of the planet doesn't go with us.

I'll take "Things Thanos says" for $2000, Alex

1721759436714.png

Last edited:
Harsh, yes. It is what it is. To the best of my knowledge only two countries actually make legislative efforts at birth control: China and Bangladesh. In Bangladesh birth control is part of kindergarten curriculum. In China the govt dictates how many kids in a family. Desperate situations call for desperate measures. But here in Canada parents are actually PAID by the govt to have kids. Every month! I see the baby bonus was just raised 5% (it's election time). Crazy. No one loves babies and children more than me. But I love the wild natural environment more. "Growth" is killing everything.
1721759234818.png

Very interesting. Also, looking at the graph for Ukraine and Russia one can see the impact of the war among the military age population and how it effects the population growth negatively going out to year 2100.

Ukraine
View attachment 621375

Russia

View attachment 621376
Ukraine was the eye opener for me, and so extreme that I considered how much are the substantial war dead vs people who emigrated; vs people people who are hiding.

I’ll take “socially awkward and oblivious to social norms for $100,000 Alex. Eh”

:cool:

Africa already has a population problem. Sadly, this will only make matters worse. Alexandria, for example, already with a population of a gazillion, had a doubling rate of ten years last I knew. And my studies in that field are extremely dated. I'm sure it's less than that now. The HIV epidemic in South Africa is almost a blessing. Terrible to say. But it's a fact. Overcrowded people are hungry people are angry people = people at war = everything on the ground suffers. People need to die ... one way or the other. We just need to make sure the rest of the planet doesn't go with us.
@Ontario Hunter: I don’t think you really mean this, you likely just ran out of attention-grabbing-comments and posted this one. Try to recover by posting a “toned down” explanation that mimic’s a thoughtful human (or AI) before a Moderator steps in…this comment is beneath you

@DieJager - can’t agree this time, the post is a new LOW
I've always found those who advocate for population reduction to never include themselves as part of that reduction plan. It's always the other guy.

My reference to Thanos was both lighthearted and "the ick.".

Why not stop the use of modern medicine worldwide then?

The 2 shot series malaria vaccine is available here in Colombia. If we head to a malaria zone in the future, we will plan accordingly and take the vaccine. I have had several bouts with malaria and dengue back when I was a barrel chested freedom fighter. I don't recommend them much. Now that I am a barrel bellied old man (I'm working on it!) , I am not up to dealing with it.

Safe travels.

The 2 shot series malaria vaccine is available here in Colombia. If we head to a malaria zone in the future, we will plan accordingly and take the vaccine. I have had several bouts with malaria and dengue back when I was a barrel chested freedom fighter. I don't recommend them much. Now that I am a barrel bellied old man (I'm working on it!) , I am not up to dealing with it.

Safe travels.
Generally, when you get malaria you get it for life. I'd be more than a little surprised if you don't still have some parasites with established residence in your liver.

That's the nature of the beast, the way the boom-bust cycles work. During the dormant phase, the parasites are harmless and only take up space in hepatocytes. At some point in that residency, they reach a critical mass, break out of the hepatocytes into your blood stream to find some RBCs to destroy. When the boom is over, some number of them return back to the liver.

Generally, when you get malaria you get it for life. I'd be more than a little surprised if you don't still have some parasites with established residence in your liver.

That's the nature of the beast, the way the boom-bust cycles work. During the dormant phase, the parasites are harmless and only take up space in hepatocytes. At some point in that residency, they reach a critical mass, break out of the hepatocytes into your blood stream to find some RBCs to destroy. When the boom is over, some number of them return back to the liver.
That is always an interesting discussion, and I have often listened to it among jungle medicine experts when I worked with the MEDRETE missions. They seemed to agree that by getting treatment and staying out of malaria areas, most forms of malaria will eventually leave your system. I think (and many medical experts agree) it goes dormant and awakens from time to time as a "fever of unknown origin" just to keep me in check when I am on the verge of global domination. Having said that, for many, many years now, I have self prescribed a cult like ritual of daily G&T prophylaxis. :LOL:

Safe travels!

It is really sad the comment was not immediately removed.

Lon

That is always an interesting discussion, and I have often listened to it among jungle medicine experts when I worked with the MEDRETE missions. They seemed to agree that by getting treatment and staying out of malaria areas, most forms of malaria will eventually leave your system. I think (and many medical experts agree) it goes dormant and awakens from time to time as a "fever of unknown origin" just to keep me in check when I am on the verge of global domination. Having said that, for many, many years now, I have self prescribed a cult like ritual of daily G&T prophylaxis. :LOL:

Safe travels!
That probably depends on which strain of malaria a person has contracted - there are 4.

Plasmodium falciparum is the worst, it's the one that kills hundreds of thousands of Africans annually. Incidentally, that's also the strain that used to be endemic here in the US until the advent of DDT. There's also a pocket in SE Asia where it's endemic.

P. ovale and P malariae are the least aggressive, with P. vivax falling somewhere in the middle. I had to do a research paper on malaria in my microbiology class.

I don't believe those 3 cause many deaths.

Aggression is measured by the quantity of parasites that might be found in a cubic mm of blood. An average adult male has about 5 million RBCs per mm^3 of blood. P. falciparum might show as many as 1.5 - 2 million parasites per mm^3 of blood. That's why people die from it - hemolysis of 30 - 40% of one's RBCs in a day won't end well. It isn't merely the loss of the O2 carrying capacity of your blood stream, it's that they rip open the RBCs, exposing the gooey stuff inside. This mass carnage overwhelms the spleen. Worse still is that when the ruptures occur within capillaries, that capillary network might just as well be sealed with gorilla glue. Capillaries are just big enough pipes to accommodate the passage of a single RBC at a time. Gas exchange with muscles and organs ends where those networks are compromised. Capillaries (and lungs) are where the gas exchange occurs.

I think vivax comes in at somewhere around 500k/mm^3 of blood (it has been decades since I took micro, so forgive if my numbers are a little off), with the other two somewhere between about 10k and 100k/mm^3 of blood. If someone can be "cleansed" of them, I'd guess it was either malariae or ovale they were infected with.

The boom-bust cycles stretch out over time, with subsequent booms progressively milder and milder. For some, dormancy phase can last years or decades.

Clearly never had malaria or spent 7 day"s in ICU with falsiparum malaria, getting overdosed with quinine to the extent that it permanently affected my eye sight......on day 3 I rang the bell and asked them to call my wife.....why they asked....I said well I am clocking out......no sir they said you are fine......well I sure as shit did not feel fine and I was lucky to walk away....eventually.....

Clearly never had malaria or spent 7 day"s in ICU with falsiparum malaria, getting overdosed with quinine to the extent that it permanently affected my eye sight......on day 3 I rang the bell and asked them to call my wife.....why they asked....I said well I am clocking out......no sir they said you are fine......well I sure as shit did not feel fine and I was lucky to walk away....eventually.....

I’ve had it once. Once is enough. I know it’s likely dormant in my system and I hope it stays that way!

While, I’ve never had it, my late uncle did manage get it in DC. It does not go away, he would get bouts where he would just break out with. Fever and sweets for several days and then just go away.

Nope, never had it, but am acutely aware of what it does. Glad you made it out the other side.

And thus my half jest/half "what an effing villainous thing to say" comments on a pair of execrable posts from a dude earlier in this thread.

Reactions: IvW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steven53R4

Latest posts