Which stock blank would you choose?

• Total voters

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
I placed an order for a new double rifle today, listed below are some specs and upgrades I have chosen. Also 3 stock blanks to choose from, I have pretty much already made up my mind on which blank I am going with but I'd still be interested to hear which one others would choose and why.

It's been a long time coming, I've been wanting to build a double for alot of years but for one reason or another it just hasn't happened, finally the time has come. I'm super excited but it's going to be a long 12 months waiting for it! Lucky I have my first hunt in Africa later this year and plenty of other things happening in the meantime to keep me occupied while I wait for this rifle to be completed. I am hoping to take it to Africa in 2026 on a buffalo hunt.

Verney Carron
470 Nitro Express
Wood Upgrade
Colour Case Hardened Round Body Action
Specified LOP
Leica Red Dot Mounting Footprint

1717484984233.jpeg

This is difficult, the choice between middle and bottom blank.

I prefer the looks of the bottom, the grain is relatively straight, but not quite flowing through the grip like in the middle one.

I'd pick bottom blank in the end

I placed an order for a new double rifle today, listed below are some specs and upgrades I have chosen. Also 3 stock blanks to choose from, I have pretty much already made up my mind on which blank I am going with but I'd still be interested to hear which one others would choose and why.

It's been a long time coming, I've been wanting to build a double for alot of years but for one reason or another it just hasn't happened, finally the time has come. I'm super excited but it's going to be a long 12 months waiting for it! Lucky I have my first hunt in Africa later this year and plenty of other things happening in the meantime to keep me occupied while I wait for this rifle to be completed. I am hoping to take it to Africa in 2026 on a buffalo hunt.

Verney Carron
470 Nitro Express
Wood Upgrade
Colour Case Hardened Round Body Action
Specified LOP
Leica Red Dot Mounting Footprint

View attachment 610900
The bottom blank . Straighter grain means it will be stronger .

Agree the bottom blank I think would be strongest and it's going to look good. But the figure in the top blank....well that's the prettiest girl at the dance.

I think the middle one will be the strongest, has straight dense grain through the wrist
I tend to agree that it has the best flow of grain through the grip. But the bottom is only "marginally worse" while having much nicer figure.

anyway, only my uneducated opinion.

It's a good problem to have though isn't it, having to choose one
#luxuryproblems :D
And congrats by the way on this new double rifle! Looking forward to seeing some pics of the finished lady.

@Aussie_Hunter - Congratulations on your build. I’m on for the bottom blank and good on you for having a red dot mounting option from the factory.

I like the top wood too. I have no clue if it would be the strongest in grip area as it is not marked like others, probably isn’t likely with all the burl in it. But isn’t burl wood some of the most dense in the tree? Again no expert, and likely 20 years away from ever getting a double….

I'm surprised you didn't ask, why not a Heym haha
I did get a quote on a Heym but opted for the Verney in the end
What made you choose the Verney over the Heym?

What made you choose the Verney over the Heym?
I just like the style of the Verney better both the round body and imperial actions (got a quote on an imperial action but too much for me).
Price
Lead time
Reputation in general
Also I have some good friends with Verney's that are extremely happy with their doubles

All those reasons added together made the final decision. Not that there is anything wrong with Heym, I love the Heym brand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelindaKin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex