Need a scope for my CZ 550 .404 Jeffery

aminkus

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI
Hunted
plains game and dangerous game
I will be heading out to Zimbabwe with CMS safaris for my first dangerous game hunt and i am looking for some guidance on what scope to mount on my 404. I will be using it on my first elephant hunt and possibly a dugga boy if the opportunity arises.

I am not looking to "break the bank" but please all suggestions are welcome. And if any one has a scope they are looking to sell i too would be interested.

Hello aminkus;

I am assuming that on a .404 you will mount a low magnification straight tube scope, but should you decide on a scope with larger front objective, you may want to look at the second part of this post. I had posted it in another thread (.375 H&H CZ 550 for dual DG/PG use).

If you go with a straight tube scope, the following thoughts come to mind:
  • First rule is that the usual adage applies: buy the best you can afford, even if it takes you 2 years to pay for it. The usual guideline is that (barring some expensive custom or even factory - Blaser comes to mind - rifles) you should spend more money on the scope than on the rifle. It certainly applies to rifles like the CZ 550, Win 70, etc.
  • Second rule: you get what you pay for. Yes there are fundamental differences between the market leaders and all the rest. Sure, even the cheapest Chinese scopes now uses BaK4 or even Schott glass, but there is more to it than just the glass. Polishing and especially coatings are critical, and assembly, including internal part materials, are paramount. With brands like Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, Schmidt & Bender, you are eliminating most risks. I would add Leupold on the US side; their coatings may not be as good, but they know how to make scopes.
  • Do not fall for the "unconditional lifetime full replacement warranty" used as primary selling argument. It does not matter that they replace your scope after your safari if the scope failed you during the safari, what is important is that it does not fail. My personal experience with Vortex leads me to believe that they are great for casual use at home, but not quite up to par with expedition/safari hunting best-in-class competitors. Others may have had better luck, or maybe I am too picky, but minor flaws such as binocular collimation (not so minor a flaw when you glass a full day!), reticle alignment, etc. matter. I can live with that, punching steel at home, but I have little patience for it on a $XX,000 safari.
  • A 30 mm tube is advisable because it gives you a larger objective (typically 24 mm) which will allow more light transmission. It will also give you more internal elevation and windage, which can occasionally come handy to sight the scope if for whatever reason the rings are not perfectly aligned with the bore (unlikely on a CZ550, but classic on other brands if the scope base holes are not perfectly aligned with the threads or the face of the action).
  • There is no need whatsoever for magnification above 4x on a DG rifle, and the fantastic 8x zooms found on Swarovski Z8 or Zeiss V8 are, in my opinion, wasted on DG scopes. I would also suggest that the 6x zooms (Swarovski Z6 or Zeiss V6) fall in the same category, but modern marketing has me soundly defeated... An argument is sometimes made that V8/Z8 have a 95% light transmission, V6/Z6 92% and V4/Z3 "only" 90%. This is all a question of return on investment (ROI) and whether a few % increase in light transmission, that typically only lab instruments can measure, is worth doubling the cost of the scope. To each their own according to their judgment and their financial means. After decades of flattering myself with buying the absolute best from Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender, Leica and Swarovski, my personal ROI is now with Zeiss V4. To each our own, but I would rather be in Africa more often and longer...
  • An illuminated reticle is useful at dusk and dawn, even if it does not quite double as a red dot during the day (red dots are typically a lot brighter and bigger).
I think that the Zeiss V4 1-4x24 with illuminated A4 or Plex reticle comes close to being the best compromise between all considerations, including the financial one, but it is now about impossible to find in the US, and you do not want one with the Z-QAR "tactical" reticle on your DG rifle. But keep an eye on eBay, a few used-as-new / demo units with hunting reticles pop up from time to time and they are less valued than their tacticool brethren, generally staying below $1,000...

Yes, I fully understand that one can get a Sig Sauer, Vortex, Leupold, etc. 1-4x24 or 1-6x24 for $300 to $500 but these AR-type scopes are not designed with the recoil of a DG rifle in mind. Enough said...

If a Zeiss V4 1-4x24 proves elusive, the Leica Amplus 1-6x24 (currently $1,300 on Amazon) would be my next recommendation. Then the Zeiss V6 1-6x24 (currently $2,000 on Amazon), then the Swarovski Z6 1-6x25 (currently $2,150 on Amazon), and for the Leupold lovers, the VX-5HD 1-5X24 (currently $1,200 on Amazon) but I find its BDC turret a nuisance on a DG rifle.

I hope this was helpful.

A few words of caution regarding bell-objective scope selection for the CZ 550...

Regarding scope mounts, the double square bridge of the CZ 550 has a dovetail machined into it. You need neither swing mounts nor claw mounts, nor extra bases, etc. The strongest, tightest and safest scope mounts - detachable with levers, or not - (also the cheapest at $100) are those that clamp directly into the dovetails. Warnes are good but I prefer Talley. The rear ring recoil lug is located at the front edge of the ring on the Talley, so the Talley ring does not overhang over the magazine from the front face of the rear bridge, it is flush with it. The recoil lug is located in the middle of the ring on the Warnes, so the rear ring's front edge overhangs a bit over the bolt and the magazine. It has no bearing on strength, but I find the Talley mount a little cleaner.

The other big advantage of NOT adding swing or claw mounts, etc. to the CZ 550, and using the bridge dovetail for the rings, besides strength, is that it keeps the scope low over the bore.

However, there is a difficulty with true magnum-length actions. They are too long for the traditional 1.5-6x42 scopes. The length of the action bridge is longer than the section of 30 mm tube on these scopes, and the scopes do not fit over the bridge; they are too short. I will spare you a lot of time and frustration by sharing this little drawing I put together regarding the scopes requirements for the CZ 550 magnum-length action:

CZ 550 scope specs.JPG

If the tube length "B" is not at least 5.31”/13.5 cm long, the scope is too short to mount over the CZ 550 magnum-length action with rings that clamp directly into the bridge dovetails. If the objective bell length "C" is longer than 4.9”/12.5 cm it will collide with the rear iron sights, with 1/2" high rings that keep the scope low over the barrel as desired. If the objective bell diameter "D" is wider than 2.25”/57 mm it will collide with the barrel, with 1/2" high rings that keep the scope low over the barrel as desired. If the ocular length "A" is significantly longer than ~4”/~10 cm, the risk increases for the scope to hit you under recoil.

The classic way to eliminate the challenge is to mount a straight tube scope that does not have an objective bell at the front, they all fit, but until recently, these scopes did not offer more than 4x magnification, with is a little low for the .375 H&H when used on PG. Variable scopes now exist with straight tubes and 1x to 6x variable magnification, so this solves this problem, however, and more importantly, straight tube scopes have by necessity very narrow objectives (typically 24 mm) and their light-gathering capability is minimal at dawn and dusk when a 42 mm objective is much preferred.

Based on my research, among the still affordable (but by no mean cheap!) scopes, desirable scopes with light-gathering, large diameter objectives for the CZ 550 magnum-length action include:

upload_2019-12-19_16-36-35.png

Last edited:
I don't hunt elephants but for critter that size and typical very close desirable range, is a scope even necessary? It's a question seeking knowledgeable response.

Oh yes it is! You would be amazed how a 5 metric tons elephant can disappear in dense gray Jesse not even 30 yards in front of you... The same goes for buffalo in the dark shade.

I would almost rather stay home than hunt elephant or buffalo without best-in-class binoculars (low magnification also preferred: 5x to 8x about perfect with at least 30 mm objectives), and scope on my back-up bolt action rifle, although admittedly I do not have glass on my double, but there are shots I do not take with the double, just because of that...

Last edited:
Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x24 with reticle of choice. Drop it, drag behind the truck, still holds zero. Excellent in low light. No need to look further

For inexpensive alternatives, the vari-xiii in 1.5-5 and Nikon Monarch African (1-4) are good choices as well.

Hello aminkus;

I am assuming that on a .404 you will mount a low magnification straight tube scope, but should you decide on a scope with larger front objective, you may want to look at the second part of this post. I had posted it in another thread (.375 H&H CZ 550 for dual DG/PG use).

If you go with a straight tube scope, the following thoughts come to mind:
  • First rule is that the usual adage applies: buy the best you can afford, even if it takes you 2 years to pay for it. The usual guideline is that (barring some expensive custom or even factory - Blaser comes to mind - rifles) you should spend more money on the scope than on the rifle. It certainly applies to rifles like the CZ 550, Win 70, etc.
  • Second rule: you get what you pay for. Yes there are fundamental differences between the market leaders and all the rest. Sure, even the cheapest Chinese scopes now uses BaK4 or even Schott glass, but there is more to it than just the glass. Polishing and especially coatings are critical, and assembly, including internal part materials, are paramount. With brands like Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, Schmidt & Bender, you are eliminating most risks. I would add Leupold on the US side; their coatings may not be as good, but they know how to make scopes.
  • Do not fall for the "unconditional lifetime full replacement warranty" used as primary selling argument. It does not matter that they replace your scope after your safari if the scope failed you during the safari, what is important is that it does not fail. My personal experience with Vortex leads me to believe that they are great for casual use at home, but not quite up to par with expedition/safari hunting best-in-class competitors. Others may have had better luck, or maybe I am too picky, but minor flaws such as binocular collimation (not so minor a flaw when you glass a full day!), reticle alignment, etc. matter. I can live with that, punching steel at home, but I have little patience for it on a $XX,000 safari.
  • A 30 mm tube is advisable because it gives you a larger objective (typically 24 mm) which will allow more light transmission. It will also give you more internal elevation and windage, which can occasionally come handy to sight the scope if for whatever reason the rings are not perfectly aligned with the bore (unlikely on a CZ550, but classic on other brands if the scope base holes are not perfectly aligned with the threads or the face of the action).
  • There is no need whatsoever for magnification above 4x on a DG rifle, and the fantastic 8x zooms found on Swarovski Z8 or Zeiss V8 are, in my opinion, wasted on DG scopes. I would also suggest that the 6x zooms (Swarovski Z6 or Zeiss V6) fall in the same category, but modern marketing has me soundly defeated... An argument is sometimes made that V8/Z8 have a 95% light transmission, V6/Z6 92% and V4/Z3 "only" 90%. This is all a question of return on investment (ROI) and whether a few % increase in light transmission, that typically only lab instruments can measure, is worth doubling the cost of the scope. To each their own according to their judgment and their financial means. After decades of flattering myself with buying the absolute best from Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender, Leica and Swarovski, my personal ROI is now with Zeiss V4. To each our own, but I would rather be in Africa more often and longer...
  • An illuminated reticle is useful at dusk and dawn, even if it does not quite double as a red dot during the day (red dots are typically a lot brighter and bigger).
I think that the Zeiss V4 1-4x24 with illuminated A4 or Plex reticle comes close to being the best compromise between all considerations, including the financial one, but it is now about impossible to find in the US, and you do not want one with the Z-QAR "tactical" reticle on your DG rifle. But keep an eye on eBay, a few used-as-new / demo units with hunting reticles pop up from time to time and they are less valued than their tacticool brethren, generally staying below $1,000...

Yes, I fully understand that one can get a Sig Sauer, Vortex, Leupold, etc. 1-4x24 or 1-6x24 for $300 to $500 but these AR-type scopes are not designed with the recoil of a DG rifle in mind. Enough said...

If a Zeiss V4 1-4x24 proves elusive, the Leica Amplus 1-6x24 (currently $1,300 on Amazon) would be my next recommendation. Then the Zeiss V6 1-6x24 (currently $2,000 on Amazon), then the Swarovski Z6 1-6x25 (currently $2,150 on Amazon), and for the Leupold lovers, the VX-5HD 1-5X24 (currently $1,200 on Amazon) but I find its BDC turret a nuisance on a DG rifle.

I hope this was helpful.

A few words of caution regarding bell-objective scope selection for the CZ 550...

Regarding scope mounts, the double square bridge of the CZ 550 has a dovetail machined into it. You need neither swing mounts nor claw mounts, nor extra bases, etc. The strongest, tightest and safest scope mounts - detachable with levers, or not - (also the cheapest at $100) are those that clamp directly into the dovetails. Warnes are good but I prefer Talley. The rear ring recoil lug is located at the front edge of the ring on the Talley, so the Talley ring does not overhang over the magazine from the front face of the rear bridge, it is flush with it. The recoil lug is located in the middle of the ring on the Warnes, so the rear ring's front edge overhangs a bit over the bolt and the magazine. It has no bearing on strength, but I find the Talley mount a little cleaner.

The other big advantage of NOT adding swing or claw mounts, etc. to the CZ 550, and using the bridge dovetail for the rings, besides strength, is that it keeps the scope low over the bore.

However, there is a difficulty with true magnum-length actions. They are too long for the traditional 1.5-6x42 scopes. The length of the action bridge is longer than the section of 30 mm tube on these scopes, and the scopes do not fit over the bridge; they are too short. I will spare you a lot of time and frustration by sharing this little drawing I put together regarding the scopes requirements for the CZ 550 magnum-length action:

CZ 550 scope specs.JPG

If the tube length "B" is not at least 5.31”/13.5 cm long, the scope is too short to mount over the CZ 550 magnum-length action with rings that clamp directly into the bridge dovetails. If the objective bell length "C" is longer than 4.9”/12.5 cm it will collide with the rear iron sights, with 1/2" high rings that keep the scope low over the barrel as desired. If the objective bell diameter "D" is wider than 2.25”/57 mm it will collide with the barrel, with 1/2" high rings that keep the scope low over the barrel as desired. If the ocular length "A" is significantly longer than ~4”/~10 cm, the risk increases for the scope to hit you under recoil.

The classic way to eliminate the challenge is to mount a straight tube scope that does not have an objective bell at the front, they all fit, but until recently, these scopes did not offer more than 4x magnification, with is a little low for the .375 H&H when used on PG. Variable scopes now exist with straight tubes and 1x to 6x variable magnification, so this solves this problem, however, and more importantly, straight tube scopes have by necessity very narrow objectives (typically 24 mm) and their light-gathering capability is minimal at dawn and dusk when a 42 mm objective is much preferred.

Based on my research, among the still affordable (but by no mean cheap!) scopes, desirable scopes with light-gathering, large diameter objectives for the CZ 550 magnum-length action include:

upload_2019-12-19_16-36-35.png
thank you very much this is incredibly helpful. I am leaning towards the Lecia

@Just Gina has a Leupold VX6 1-6×24 illuminated scope on her CX 550 in 404 Jeffrey. That thing is a tack driver and has held xero through multiple flights and bouncing around in various safari trucks. And the red dot inside is really great. Especially for the money that is a great scope. She has a Swarovski Z8 1-8i on her 375 H&H double and it is no doubt better glass. But also a lot more money.

20240708_142020.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemonaMead

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's