@Philip Glass thanks for the video just reading through the posts and saw this comment. Had the same issue until I picked up a leupold pro staff bins. Used to close one eye on most binoculars. Was on a photo safari and the guide really wanted them. Excellent last/first light capability as well.
I am glad someone sympathizes with my situation. Good glass changes everything!

I use black electrical tape, from the hardware store, to make a 3" cross on a white paper. Helps me align the crosshairs, not canted and resolve the aiming point.
Once scope is sighed in, I use a 1" black aiming point, tape or Sharpie, and shoot for accurate shot placement.

I think @RayAtkinson has it correct that 3x or 4x scopes just work in the field.

Mr. O'Connor and Mr. Keith recommended the same decades ago. Works for my poor eyes.

I really wish Leupold would make a run of the fixed 3x scope, with an illuminated Fire dot reticle.

If some Marketing whizz could convince the 3-gun crowd, that 3x scope magnification really works out to 300 yards, we could be in business with useful hunting scopes.
The thing I dislike with electrical tape is that it falls off in the heat and it's hard to see hits on at distance.

I'd be really interested to see a study done on powers and splits for engagement on targets. I'd submit that there's very little difference between 1-4x.

What kind of 3x are you looking for? I think a 1-8 with some larger objective lens would be nice and a generous eye box and relief.

I am glad someone sympathizes with my situation. Good glass changes everything!
Absolutely. I went on a guided elk hunt in New Mexico back in the mid 90's with a good friend of mine. it was a 2 on 1 hunt and he won the coin toss to shoot first. The guide would take us to hay field each morning and we would go in the dark, get set up and wait for first light. I had a 4x16x50 Swarovski and he had a 4x14x52 Leupold.
We could soon make out the shapes of elk in the field. As the minutes went buy I could make out two bulls, a 6x6 and 5x5 at about 120 yards. My friend could not identify the antlers for another 5-7 minutes at which point they were now leaving the field and at over 500 yards. I offered him my rifle when they were at 120 yards and he wouldn't take. We didn't end up with an elk that trip.

BTW, I am taking this same Swarovski to Botswana in 3 weeks and it is as clear now as it was when I purchased it almost 30 years ago.

Absolutely. I went on a guided elk hunt in New Mexico back in the mid 90's with a good friend of mine. it was a 2 on 1 hunt and he won the coin toss to shoot first. The guide would take us to hay field each morning and we would go in the dark, get set up and wait for first light. I had a 4x16x50 Swarovski and he had a 4x14x52 Leupold.
We could soon make out the shapes of elk in the field. As the minutes went buy I could make out two bulls, a 6x6 and 5x5 at about 120 yards. My friend could not identify the antlers for another 5-7 minutes at which point they were now leaving the field and at over 500 yards. I offered him my rifle when they were at 120 yards and he wouldn't take. We didn't end up with an elk that trip.

BTW, I am taking this same Swarovski to Botswana in 3 weeks and it is as clear now as it was when I purchased it almost 30 years ago.
This is an excellent comparison scenario in low light. Thank you for sharing this great story.
It is what was taught to us at SAAM when comparing glass.
Swarovski will ruin you as there is no comparison especially Z8.
When it comes to glass, when you know, you know!

Here is a video where I discuss my journey in finding the ultimate DG scope. Bombs away!

@Philip Glass while I don't agree with all of your statements, I applaud you for putting in the work to share a perspective with tangible examples. There really isn't that much good video content related to safari calibers and accessories so I appreciate your efforts.

Not trying to move your point of view, but areas of agreement and disagreement.

1.) I have no problem with your Z8 1.7-12x scope for a 375. I have bigger problems with the stock design and the high or medium rings. If I was to own such a scope for a 375HH, I would definitely have EAW pivot mounts so that I can get it 1/2" lower on the gun than your mounting. I expect all my guns to be designed with a pitched stock for rapid target acquisition with iron sights, and correpsonding optic height that is equally low. That personal expectation means I spend a lot more than most on mounts because its an obsession for me.

2.) You claimed your 1-6x24 leupold by inference was not appropriate for 200 yard shots on impala for leopard bait. I can't speak to your leupold, but the worst light gathering of any scope I've owned was the leupold 1.5-5x32mm illuminated. Inversely, I've hunted all over the world virtually exclusively with 1-6x24 Swaros under a myriad of conditions. Elk, Bear, Leopard, Elephant, 20 species of plains game, white tail deer, etc. No issues with shots out to 350 yards. The newer 1-8x24 might make those longer shots even easier. Again, I can't critique your opinion if its specific to the Leupold that I've never used, but I've never had issues with any stalking rifles.

Quoting Boddington stating he couldn't make a shot at 80 yards on a croc with a dangerous game scope is inferring that its light gathering and zoom rather than a bad reticle. An 80 yard croc brain shot is a chip shot. My ten year old son took such a shot with a Dakota 375HH with a z6 1-6x24mm on a nice trophy croc. He went on to shoot the same rifle on many creatures inside of 300 yards on that and subsequent trips.

Will I die on my hill screaming like a lunatic that you should want a straight tube scope? Nah. But I will die on the hill that I think 99% of rifles mounts, rings, and stocks are all wrong, designed for slow acquisition off sticks with the mounts way too high. Also, with a monte carlo stock best suited for bench shooting that is not set up for a spot-and-stalk hunting scenario.

So if I had a magic wand to destroy all product on the planet, I wouldn't use the wish on your higher power scopes, I'd get rid of the silly stocks and the medium, high, and extra high rings prevalent in the market, they are incorrect for almost all hunting applications. Heck, even a 2-10x50mm optic fits in a mere medium height ring if the right mounts are used. Time is ticking, you have seconds to make a good shot, there is no time to seek and move your head finding focus and twirling dials to move the 10x zoom back to 3x to find the quarry!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brandonligon

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa