My new K95 is finally here!

I got one with two barrel sets - 470NE and 9.3x74R

Where about do you chase Sambar?
Good stuff
I need to get a 470 ordered up too! Dream double ever since they let me shoot one as a teenager in the tunnel under the factory
Sambar and whitetail were both in NZ

Absolutely lovely rifle. A klipplauf should have exactly that sort of Germanic styling. My only concern is that you went with the 30 Blaser thing instead of the 7x65R. ;)

Congratulations on your purchase. They are a lovely hunting companion, very light and extremely accurate. I have had mine for 25 yrs and over that time accumulated 6 barrels ranging from 220 swift to 338 Rum. All shoot superbly well and never had a single problem in harsh conditions any where around the world.
happy hunting. K 95

I was actually battling between 30R Blaser and 7x65R, in the end I settled on 30R because I load for 308 already and so I can limit my stock of projectiles. At the moment it’s 224, 30, 8mm 9.3mm, 9.5mm (375), 416, and 470 and that’s just rifles. Really don’t need any more but time will tell what happens. Many rifles ago I bought an R8 and honestly thought that was gonna be my last rifle, yeah right.

I can see your point, .284 (7 mm) and .308 (.30) are close indeed, especially considering the fact that factory 7x65 R ammo has always been loaded a bit heavy (typically in the 160 to 170 gr range) and does not fly as flat as I would want it for mountain game.

Let me amend my suggestion with one that always fascinated me: the 6.5x68 R. I have zero experience with it, but I have some experience with the 6.5x68 S with the KS 8,2 g (126 gr), and if the rimed version is only slightly detuned from the rimless S version, it must still be a fantastic mountain caliber (Chamois/Gämse, mouflons, Ibexes, various Sheep), where the 5.6x50R can be a little light and the 30R Blaser can be a little too much; sort of a rimmed .257 Wby :)

My own Kiplauf rifle ended up in 7x65R because there were also Sanglier (Wild Boar), some of them pretty big, in the mountains I hunted in France, but I needed to pay attention to the trajectory of the 7x65R after 200 meters...

As to your splendid rationale regarding limiting the calibers, I generally subscribe to it ... until the next project comes :E Rofl:

Not sure whether Blaser makes a 6.5 x 68 R pipe for the K95 though :unsure:

1658790960067.png

Last edited:
I was actually battling between 30R Blaser and 7x65R, in the end I settled on 30R because I load for 308 already and so I can limit my stock of projectiles. At the moment it’s 224, 30, 8mm 9.3mm, 9.5mm (375), 416, and 470 and that’s just rifles. Really don’t need any more but time will tell what happens. Many rifles ago I bought an R8 and honestly thought that was gonna be my last rifle, yeah right.

You have very good taste in rifles!

Not sure whether Blaser makes a 6.5 x 68 R pipe for the K95 though :unsure:
1658795926921.png

Come close with the 6.5x65R RWS. Just what you need...another Blaser.

You could have ordered the 6.5x68 and it’s big brother the 8x68 and done everything.

This was my dream duo for a Mauser 66 in my European days, but I could never afford it...

30 years later, I love the .257 Wby and .300 Wby duo in my R8 :)

You could have ordered the 6.5x68 and it’s big brother the 8x68 and done everything.

Two barrels instead of three, where is the fun in that ;-)

I wanted a small calibre for chasing Roe and foxes and 223 equivalent is rather good for that. I usually shoot Roe within 50m. I could have gone without the 9.3 but I load it anyway for my double and like the round, or I could have gone the 257 Weatherby route (still might at some point). I know the 257 has a barrel burner reputation but if I burn out my barrel mountain hunting I’ll count myself lucky and fortunate.

... I know the 257 has a barrel burner reputation but if I burn out my barrel mountain hunting I’ll count myself lucky and fortunate.

As you likely already know, the secret for the so-called "barrel burning .257 Wby" is simple: never shoot more than 5 rounds in a row, and let it cool down completely before you shoot again :)

Even the R8 barrel, which is, I believe, of the highest steel quality and highest machining quality gets pretty hot after a few shots. It is not too hot to touch after 3 rounds (my typical sighting groups), hence I think you can safely shoot 5 rounds in quick succession, but 3 rounds make it as hot as, for example, 8 or 10 rounds of .270 Win.

I can say that after a couple of hundred rounds each my Mark V and R8 .257 Wby barrels look as good as new when examined with a bore scope, but I am not using them to shoot 50 rounds in half an hour at varmint or for practice - I have a .223 R8 barrel for that - and I would speculate that THIS would indeed burn them, but I am pretty sure that they will last my lifetime, and likely that of my sons', and possibly grand sons', with hunting use and a couple rounds of practice every month or so :)

And if indeed I was fortunate (in both sense of the words !!!) enough to burn my R8 Weatherby barrels (.257 Wby and .300 Wby) actually hunting, I would oh so happily pay for new ones :E Rofl:

Yes you are so right. I have a friend who uses exclusively a 257 Wea for all his hunting and after burning out 5 barrels over the past 25 years says a barrel for his usage lasts around 1500 shots. Shooting big game or trophy animals should last the average guy a life time. The 300 Wea I estimate 2000 rounds. I am like you, a very happy man with a full hunting life time before replacement is needed.
Cheers.K95

They are a great hunting rifle, very trim and compact even with a 26” barrel. My 25 Weatherby like all calibers shoot very accurately. I have shot a 5 shot group measuring 12 mm / just under 1/2” at 200 yds. My favorite load is 100 gr TTSX Barnes behind 72 gr Rel 22 in a Norma case, Fed 215 primer. This gives just on 3600fps.

A few hours ago I shot my first animal with this rifle. It was a three-legged female Boar, around 40kg. The animal was missing a hind leg but it was an old injury and well healed. Other than being one leg short it was in good, healthy condition. Took me a while to work out what it was I was looking at. It was shaped like a pig but moved kind of like a fox making a jump on its prey. Now I just have to wait for the ASF and trichinosis tests to come through and if all is negative it’ll be very positive and I’ll be making a roast.

Wow I have shot game with damaged and non functional legs but never one that was missing. Does it look like it was a birth defect and wasn’t born with it. You would think if it lost it in the wild it would have died from blood loss or infection.

Hard to tell, there was a bit of a stump there, but judging by muscular development it was either a birth defect or early life injury. One side of the animal had stronger muscular development to compensate, and this animal was no more than two years old, and more likely one year old so it must have happened very early on it its life. If you’d like I can PM you a picture but it doesn’t show all that much. I won’t post it here, it’s not a nice photograph.

We do have poachers around here so it’s possible it got stuck in a snare early on. Unlikely to be a predator injury, only ones here are foxes and stray dogs and they would not dare approach or have a chance against a sow leading young, they won’t hesitate to charge a car.

After over a year’s wait, I finally received the phone call from the gun store and promptly made my way to pick up my new rifle.

I’m quite happy with it and cannot wait to take it out for a walk.

It's a three-barrel set: 5.6x50R (basically a rimmed 223), 30R Blaser (rimmed 30cal cartridge, ballistically somewhat like the 300H&H) as well as 9.3x74R.

In addition, the barrels fit my synthetic K95 Ultimate receiver so I can swap between the two stocks and also have the other rifle’s 8x57JRS barrel to play with.

The stock is Blaser’s grade 7 with ebony wood forend and what they call super finish - hand rubbed oil finish with sealed pores.

View attachment 479027
View attachment 479028
View attachment 479029
WOW I really like this rifle.

After over a year’s wait, I finally received the phone call from the gun store and promptly made my way to pick up my new rifle.

I’m quite happy with it and cannot wait to take it out for a walk.

It's a three-barrel set: 5.6x50R (basically a rimmed 223), 30R Blaser (rimmed 30cal cartridge, ballistically somewhat like the 300H&H) as well as 9.3x74R.

In addition, the barrels fit my synthetic K95 Ultimate receiver so I can swap between the two stocks and also have the other rifle’s 8x57JRS barrel to play with.

The stock is Blaser’s grade 7 with ebony wood forend and what they call super finish - hand rubbed oil finish with sealed pores.

View attachment 479027
View attachment 479028
View attachment 479029
@Opposite Pole
Ken @K95 has a beautiful K95 with a few different barrels. It is absolutely gorgeous.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CameronPro

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim