My new 458!

Not surprised. I felt this coming. You'll be fine with it and you'll have dual ammunition stream. I like the idea of keeping practice loads in WM and full power in Lott cases. Zero chance of mixup.
I considered leaving it as was, having owned and feeling confident with both calibers, but the powder I have on hand favors the lott

He said he was looking for a thread protector. In the meantime why not shoot the rifle and enjoy it? It will be more comfortable for him to shoot. When he does go hunting with others, take the brake off and install the thread protector. Recoil will not be a problem when hunting. It is the best of both worlds, brake are a good thing if used the right way.

Yes you are correct, PH and his crew would rather not be around a brake.
I have found that when you change back and forth from brake to no brake that the poi changes sometimes a lot. my Lott would drop 6" down and 5" left with the change. if it did not change poi I would be greatly surprised

This is the first muzzle brake I've ever had on a rifle, I'm not w fan of the looks but will give it a shot (no pun intended), until I can find a suitable thread protector. Or maybe I'll just fall in love with it lol
Just use it for now and as you get used to the rifle then remove it.

I have found that when you change back and forth from brake to no brake that the poi changes sometimes a lot. my Lott would drop 6" down and 5" left with the change. if it did not change poi I would be greatly surprised
It is repeatable, so in is this case. Dial the corrections in the scope, it is not a big deal one way or the other.

OP stated he is not recoil shy. It is the way he purchased the rifle. He might be having it removed while it is in the shop get converted to 458Lott.

Do not find the recoil of my 458Lott terrible, I attribute that to working my way through the rifles I have. Started off with 375H&H shot several hundred rounds. Then moved to a 416REM, did the same shot several rounds. Having read and talking to more than a few people I was expecting the Lott to kick a lot. Did not find the jump in recoil to be a big order of magnitude. That could be the rifle R8, could be the load 450gr TSX @ 2350, could my tolerance built up, or a combination of all the above.

Either way, OP has the rifle. I'm encouraging him to use it and get some enjoyment out of it. We all have opinion, OP has to invest his time and money as he see fit.

I actually thought my 416 rem kicked way harder than my no1s in 458 lott and 500ne.

I may just leave the brake for now, until I find a thread protector that doesn't look like crap. Big issue is I'd have to file the front sight back a but because it hangs over the threads about 1/16", the muzzle brake fits snuggly under it

I actually thought my 416 rem kicked way harder than my no1s in 458 lott and 500ne.

I may just leave the brake for now, until I find a thread protector that doesn't look like crap. Big issue is I'd have to file the front sight back a but because it hangs over the threads about 1/16", the muzzle brake fits snuggly under it
If you can find a standard thread cap, he would only need to throw the cap in the lathe and turn the cap down to fit under the sight. It would be a very simple process IMHO.

If you can find a standard thread cap, he would only need to throw the cap in the lathe and turn the cap down to fit under the sight. It would be a very simple process IMHO.
I may do that, but getting him to do it before I need to get ready for grizz season might be a challenge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gene lawson

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles