My new 458!

Not surprised. I felt this coming. You'll be fine with it and you'll have dual ammunition stream. I like the idea of keeping practice loads in WM and full power in Lott cases. Zero chance of mixup.
I considered leaving it as was, having owned and feeling confident with both calibers, but the powder I have on hand favors the lott
 
He said he was looking for a thread protector. In the meantime why not shoot the rifle and enjoy it? It will be more comfortable for him to shoot. When he does go hunting with others, take the brake off and install the thread protector. Recoil will not be a problem when hunting. It is the best of both worlds, brake are a good thing if used the right way.

Yes you are correct, PH and his crew would rather not be around a brake.
I have found that when you change back and forth from brake to no brake that the poi changes sometimes a lot. my Lott would drop 6" down and 5" left with the change. if it did not change poi I would be greatly surprised
 
This is the first muzzle brake I've ever had on a rifle, I'm not w fan of the looks but will give it a shot (no pun intended), until I can find a suitable thread protector. Or maybe I'll just fall in love with it lol
Just use it for now and as you get used to the rifle then remove it.
 
I have found that when you change back and forth from brake to no brake that the poi changes sometimes a lot. my Lott would drop 6" down and 5" left with the change. if it did not change poi I would be greatly surprised
It is repeatable, so in is this case. Dial the corrections in the scope, it is not a big deal one way or the other.

OP stated he is not recoil shy. It is the way he purchased the rifle. He might be having it removed while it is in the shop get converted to 458Lott.

Do not find the recoil of my 458Lott terrible, I attribute that to working my way through the rifles I have. Started off with 375H&H shot several hundred rounds. Then moved to a 416REM, did the same shot several rounds. Having read and talking to more than a few people I was expecting the Lott to kick a lot. Did not find the jump in recoil to be a big order of magnitude. That could be the rifle R8, could be the load 450gr TSX @ 2350, could my tolerance built up, or a combination of all the above.

Either way, OP has the rifle. I'm encouraging him to use it and get some enjoyment out of it. We all have opinion, OP has to invest his time and money as he see fit.
 
I actually thought my 416 rem kicked way harder than my no1s in 458 lott and 500ne.

I may just leave the brake for now, until I find a thread protector that doesn't look like crap. Big issue is I'd have to file the front sight back a but because it hangs over the threads about 1/16", the muzzle brake fits snuggly under it
 
I actually thought my 416 rem kicked way harder than my no1s in 458 lott and 500ne.

I may just leave the brake for now, until I find a thread protector that doesn't look like crap. Big issue is I'd have to file the front sight back a but because it hangs over the threads about 1/16", the muzzle brake fits snuggly under it
If you can find a standard thread cap, he would only need to throw the cap in the lathe and turn the cap down to fit under the sight. It would be a very simple process IMHO.
 
If you can find a standard thread cap, he would only need to throw the cap in the lathe and turn the cap down to fit under the sight. It would be a very simple process IMHO.
I may do that, but getting him to do it before I need to get ready for grizz season might be a challenge
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,270
Messages
1,571,240
Members
169,298
Latest member
MiloSchube
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top