My new 458!

Papabear55

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
My new 458wm. Mod 70 super express. Came with a bunch of ammo. Now debating reaming it to 458 lott, it already cycles and feeds smoothly with 375h&h ammo, so I believe it should be good to go after a simple reaming. Previous owner had the longer extractor added and mag box opened up already
20230114_195923.jpg

Very Nice! Thanks for sharing and yes you should definatly open it up to a Lott

First thing I would do, is remove that horrible device from the end of the barrel. Then, if the action already works fine with 375 H&H cartridges than having it reamed to 458 lott would be a fine choice!

Never understood the point of having a magnum action but using a short cartridge. Cartridges like 458 WM, 416 Ruger, and 375 Ruger exist for standard length actions.

First thing I would do, is remove that horrible device from the end of the barrel. Then, if the action already works fine with 375 H&H cartridges than having it reamed to 458 lott would be a fine choice!

Never understood the point of having a magnum action but using a short cartridge. Cartridges like 458 WM, 416 Ruger, and 375 Ruger exist for standard length actions.
This is the first muzzle brake I've ever had on a rifle, I'm not w fan of the looks but will give it a shot (no pun intended), until I can find a suitable thread protector. Or maybe I'll just fall in love with it lol

This is the first muzzle brake I've ever had on a rifle, I'm not w fan of the looks but will give it a shot (no pun intended), until I can find a suitable thread protector. Or maybe I'll just fall in love with it lol

Wear ear pro. It will help with recoil.

Consider other people than yourself. Your tracker/PH will be standing next to you in the field and they will not have hearing protection. At best they will have their fingers in their ears...

PH's will often encourage muzzle compensators because most hunters are terrible shots. But I guarantee they would prefer you didn't need one.

Consider other people than yourself. Your tracker/PH will be standing next to you in the field and they will not have hearing protection. At best they will have their fingers in their ears...

PH's will often encourage muzzle compensators because most hunters are terrible shots. But I guarantee they would prefer you didn't need one.
He said he was looking for a thread protector. In the meantime why not shoot the rifle and enjoy it? It will be more comfortable for him to shoot. When he does go hunting with others, take the brake off and install the thread protector. Recoil will not be a problem when hunting. It is the best of both worlds, brake are a good thing if used the right way.

Yes you are correct, PH and his crew would rather not be around a brake.

He said he was looking for a thread protector. In the meantime why not shoot the rifle and enjoy it? It will be more comfortable for him to shoot. When he does go hunting with others, take the brake off and install the thread protector. Recoil will not be a problem when hunting. It is the best of both worlds, brake are a good thing if used the right way.

Yes you are correct, PH and his crew would rather not be around a brake.
I've shot plenty of big stuff without a brake, and have no need for it. But unless I can find a suitable protector, or decide to chop the threaded portion off, I'll just rock it as is. I am by no means recoil sensitive, but I do prefer to preserve what little hearing I have left

If the action is long enough for a Lott, there is really no need to ream the chamber out. All you need to do is long load the bullets in the regular 458 case and you get the same amount of extra powder capacity that the Lott provided. There are threads on this site that cover that subject just don't remember which ones they are. Save yourself some money and shoot it the way it is.

I was so hoping it was a post about a 450 no2 NE express but alas.....

This muzzle brake isn't all that loud, went out and shot it into the berm at my house.

My new 458wm. Mod 70 super express. Came with a bunch of ammo. Now debating reaming it to 458 lott, it already cycles and feeds smoothly with 375h&h ammo, so I believe it should be good to go after a simple reaming. Previous owner had the longer extractor added and mag box opened up already
View attachment 511207
Nice rifle!
The only thing I would suggest is that you shoot.it, without the muzzle brake, first. No one will want to be near you (especially a PH) if you have a brake on it. My .458 WM sends a 500 grain bullet out at 2160 (74 yr of H4895). For me, that's about as hard as I want to be.kicked, and there is nothing that really needs to be shot with any more authority. These that belittle the .458 Win as "marginal" or otherwise inadequate, yet extol the virtues of the 9.3x62, are living in the past. The technology caught up to the promise of the cartridge some time ago.
On the other hand, If you have it rechambered to .458 Lott you can still use .458 Win ammo if you need to. Either way, you have a fine rifle, enjoy it!

I've shot 458wm, lott and larger without a brake before. I don't mind the recoil with or without

This muzzle brake isn't all that loud, went out and shot it into the berm at my house.

Have someone else shoot it next to you, while you're not wearing hearing protection.

Compensators are MUCH worse for the people around the shooter, hence why many people who hunt Africa often won't use them. Hunting in Africa is typically a team effort and a hunter needs to consider the comfort and safety of those in his group.

Last edited:
Have someone else shoot it next to you, while you're not wearing hearing protection.

Compensators are MUCH worse for the people around the shooter, hence why many people who hunt Africa often won't use them. Hunting in Africa is typically a team effort and a hunter needs to consider the comfort and safety of those in his group.
Well I doubt I'll make it to Africa, or hunt with a guide anytime soon, but the plan is to nix the brake once I find something to protect the threads. But I'm not in a huge hurry

I love 458 Lott, that being said I would leave it in the WM. Modern ammunition is very good for it and unless you need the extra horsepower the WM is a great option. Then again if you really to have a rifle 458 Lott that’s what you should do.

Well I doubt I'll make it to Africa, or hunt with a guide anytime soon, but the plan is to nix the brake once I find something to protect the threads. But I'm not in a huge hurry
Spend enough time on this forum and you will be there before you know it.

I've been lurking for a few years. Just can't afford it.
Keep your .458 and dream. Sometimes things change. Twice I thought I couldn't afford it but managed to go. Start a plan as to how you can do it. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richardsar

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?