my first elk

Bluebeam

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my successful hunt. Got drawn for either sex elk in zone 43 here in Saskatchewan…and scored on the opening day of the season, September 15!!!!

It's no trophy specimen, but it's a full grown bull elk and holy smokes I didn't realize just how much meat is on one of these things! I'm a happy (but sore and tired) camper. My family will eat well this winter and I'm so thankful to have been blessed in this way.

225 eld m out of a .300 win mag, 2760 fps, hit him twice at 320 yards (ranged after he was already down haha). The second shot was totally not needed at all but I've heard so many stories about how tough these things can be, he was still standing, so I hit him again. First shot was a broadside chest hit, and man let me tell you there is no better sound than that BOOM….THWACK! Combo that lets you know you made a solid hit. He staggered and wobbled immediately and swung his head back and forth, sort of like I might if I had taken a hard punch and was trying to stay on my feet but very rocked. The second hit he was quartering toward me and I shoulder punched him and he went down like a sack of hammers. The eldm had no trouble smashing and penetrating the shoulder joint and absolutely grenading in the vitals. This combo keeps on proving to be a death ray for deer and now elk as well.

I must say, I haven't had "buck fever" like that since I was a 13 year old on my first whitetail hunt and a saw a spike buck come out of the bush! . I was calm and collected when I pulled the trigger…but once he was down and staying down and I knew this was for real MY FREAKING HANDS WOULDNT STOP SHAKING for like 20 minutes! A good feeling, but very intense. I haven't felt that in a long time, it reminded me I'm alive.

Here's some pics, just an ordinary critter (and we don't get the rocky mountain type monsters here in flatland quite the same) but I'm so happy about it!!!
IMG_8909.jpeg
IMG_8906.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your first bull!

Congrats. That was some good shooting.

Congratulations George.

Congrats. Yes, a large bull down somewhere you can't bring a vehicle will take some effort.

My nemesis too. I've hunted elk for almost 5 decades, living in the Rocky Mountains for most of that. At this point, I've killed more kudu than elk, which is either good or bad, depending on how you look at it. ;)

Fantastic, my warmest congratulations
My first Elk, many times ago, was "just" a ragorn Elk, since then I've learned that any Elk is a good Elk, as it's a so smart and keen game animal.
Yours truly is a beautiful trophy, a start not common to come by, an hunt to remember forever

Congrats on a beautiful bull. (y) (y)

My favorite animal to hunt and one of my favorite to eat! Congratulations on your success

Congratulations. You did good!

Congratulations on your first one.

I took a friend on his first elk hunt and I shot a nice bull. When we got up to it he just exclaimed "those things are huge." Then he wondered how we were going to get it back to the truck, I just told him, one piece at a time.

Heck yea, good job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PreciousKe

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia